5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cylinder 3 misfire

diamondphorses94

Reaction score
So I purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 engine Saturday from a dealership. Got this truck on a good deal. The miles were 200000 but upon looking vehicle had been regularly serviced and maintained. Take it home and am getting the P0303 code. Yikes 😬. So first and foremost I changed plugs and replaced coil. Checked compression. I got 120 psi. So I then take it to a local mechanic who checks pressure gets 50 psi and states that new engine needs to be installed. I have added sea foam to both fuel and oil and going to change oil within 200 miles. I’m going to remove valve cover to inspect springs and lifters, push rods. Also going to use bore scope to inspect piston cylinder walls as well as valves. I’m hoping this is going to be this case and have a valve issue. Anyone have any other advice? Thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 engine Saturday from a dealership. Got this truck on a good deal. The miles were 200000 but upon looking vehicle had been regularly serviced and maintained. Take it home and am getting the P0303 code. Yikes 😬. So first and foremost I changed plugs and replaced coil. Checked compression. I got 120 psi. So I then take it to a local mechanic who checks pressure gets 50 psi and states that new engine needs to be installed. I have added sea foam to both fuel and oil and going to change oil within 200 miles. I’m going to remove valve cover to inspect springs and lifters, push rods. Also going to use bore scope to inspect piston cylinder walls as well as valves. I’m hoping this is going to be this case and have a valve issue. Anyone have any other advice? Thanks
If you just bought it, the dealership should have some type of warranty, even if used?

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
In my 2011 with 180k miles I was getting a cylinder 5 misfire. Replaced the coil for that cylinder. Less than 200 miles later the engine starts shaking. One of the lifter rollers failed and cam was damaged. Sold as is to a friend (mechanic) and he replaced the engine with a factory rebuilt.

In 2017 they increased the roller needle bearing size because of the common hemi failures with earlier models.

Users who are viewing this thread