5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cv axles

armymp1130

Reaction score
So i have a 2020 ram 1500 with 2” rough country strut and ive been having problems with my alignment no one can align it to drive straight and have steering wheel straight, ive been noticing over bumps the front of truck sways side to side so i was underneath front of truck to check things out and noticed my cv axles have in and out play and up and down play not sure if thats normal but i only have 10000 miles on the truck and never offroaded or even used 4 wheel drive yet. would that cause issues with the front swaying side to side?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So i have a 2020 ram 1500 with 2” rough country strut and ive been having problems with my alignment no one can align it to drive straight and have steering wheel straight, ive been noticing over bumps the front of truck sways side to side so i was underneath front of truck to check things out and noticed my cv axles have in and out play and up and down play not sure if thats normal but i only have 10000 miles on the truck and never offroaded or even used 4 wheel drive yet. would that cause issues with the front swaying side to side?
My 19 fell under the lemon law for vibrations. One thing the dealer replaced was the front axles in an attempt to fix my issue. It did not work, anyway Im guessing ram knows they have front axle issues is kind of what dealer told me. Mine would not hold balance or alignment, after 7 tire balances in 7900 miles, which caused tires to chew up and wear funny😩 and many new parts/trip to dealers, I said that’s enough! By the time I got my 2021 replacement the 19 had 12000 with worn tires and vibrations. It was so bad I had to adjust the side mirrors every few days as they would be pointing at the ground! Good luck with finding a fix👍🏻

armymp1130

Reaction score
My 19 fell under the lemon law for vibrations. One thing the dealer replaced was the front axles in an attempt to fix my issue. It did not work, anyway Im guessing ram knows they have front axle issues is kind of what dealer told me. Mine would not hold balance or alignment, after 7 tire balances in 7900 miles, which caused tires to chew up and wear funny😩 and many new parts/trip to dealers, I said that’s enough! By the time I got my 2021 replacement the 19 had 12000 with worn tires and vibrations. It was so bad I had to adjust the side mirrors every few days as they would be pointing at the ground! Good luck with finding a fix👍🏻
i feel like mine wont hold alignment i know i have a leveling kit but so many people have one and theres drives straight as an arrow and no issues. my front end sways over bumps so bad and im not sure whats causing it

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i feel like mine wont hold alignment i know i have a leveling kit but so many people have one and theres drives straight as an arrow and no issues. my front end sways over bumps so bad and im not sure whats causing it
Mine was all stock. I was going to put better tires on the 2021, but thought with all the issues the 19 had, I’d better not as I’ve seen ram not want to honor warranty and says that the reason why some people have these issues is because they modified the truck somehow😩

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They might try to tell you, it’s has to be back to stock before they will do anything🤷🏻‍♂️

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your problem has so many variables that you have to start narrowing it down first. Did you have the vibration before the lift? Before the wheels? Before the new tires? Does it change if you swap tires front to back? Left to right? Did you install the lift or did someone else? Sometimes wheels just WON'T balance. Either the rim is bent, material is bad, tire is bad, etc.

No, the CV axles shouldn't have play in them, but there are so many other things that can affect suspension/driving on the front end.

armymp1130

Reaction score
Your problem has so many variables that you have to start narrowing it down first. Did you have the vibration before the lift? Before the wheels? Before the new tires? Does it change if you swap tires front to back? Left to right? Did you install the lift or did someone else? Sometimes wheels just WON'T balance. Either the rim is bent, material is bad, tire is bad, etc.

No, the CV axles shouldn't have play in them, but there are so many other things that can affect suspension/driving on the front end.
i dont have any vibration issues at all thankfully, just my steering isnt aligned and front end sways over bumps

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i dont have any vibration issues at all thankfully, just my steering isnt aligned and front end sways over bumps
My bad, combined you and Hydro. Same thing though. Have your steering issues been present since day 1 or after one of the alterations? Trying to chase the problem without going back to stock is going to be difficult. You'll end up just throwing parts and money at it if you don't take a systematic approach.

armymp1130

Reaction score
My bad, combined you and Hydro. Same thing though. Have your steering issues been present since day 1 or after one of the alterations? Trying to chase the problem without going back to stock is going to be difficult. You'll end up just throwing parts and money at it if you don't take a systematic approach.
not present since day one

Users who are viewing this thread