5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom tuning, need “how to” help

jlasma

Reaction score
New to the forum but have been reading it for a while. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 with the Ram air system & Borla S-type cats and love my truck. Interested in better performance so I was thinking of getting a custom tune, along with long tube headers down the road. I’ve heard the great things said about Jay & guy at Moe’s so I’m good there, my problem is how to start. Like what kind of tuner to upload file, will it void my warranty, do I need an unlocked PCM or can the guys do it, etc.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• AF50F5DD-2FDF-4FE9-840B-A84E02B3E9CA.jpeg
    AF50F5DD-2FDF-4FE9-840B-A84E02B3E9CA.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 19

McBroom

Reaction score
Talk to Matt at Moe's. He will definitely give you the best advice anywhere on the planet. He also carries the correct parts to make your wants a real life adventure

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jlasma

Reaction score
Tried to look at their website a little ways back and was closed, still is for another week.

popcenator

Reaction score
DiabloSport Trinity 2 or InTune 3 and an unlocked PCM. Always assume it'll likely void your warranty. That is only if they catch evidence of the tune.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you will need programmer, diablosprt is very popular with the hemis. It will require you to have your pcm unlocked. Once that is done you can load a canned tune, from there most of the time your tuner can have you do pulls and send the data where they can write you custom tune and go back and fourth modifying that custom tune from New data you supply. Another option is perhaps someone local that can do dyno pull and modify at the same time. Yes if you had engine issue and the dealer sees the car was programmed it can void the void the warranty. Even if you put the stock factory tune back in most manufacturers can see that the tune was changed and some even keep track of #of key cycles since last file was written (not sure of fca does). Keep in mind some dealers are better than other s when it's comes to warranty work with mods. You should just be prepared for the possible worst.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

jlasma

Reaction score
To have my PCM unlocked I assume I buy an unlocked one & do a swap, send mine in to be unlocked, then re-swap?

popcenator

Reaction score
To have my PCM unlocked I assume I buy an unlocked one & do a swap, send mine in to be unlocked, then re-swap?
No, you send yours in and wait for it to be unlocked. If you buy an unlocked PCM then you can just swap out the PCM when you go in for service without having to restore the stock tuning.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can buy an unlocked one and have your old one still or do an exchange. There are a few highly recommended hemi tuners. I went with a local tuner for mine.

jlasma

Reaction score
So there’s none that you can just plug in that unlock it?

popcenator

Reaction score
Yeah the Pulsar just piggybacks of the PCM with base tunes. If you want to go custom then you have to either send your PCM to be unlocked or buy an unlocked PCM to swap out.

popcenator

Reaction score
Yes, if you send yours in to be unlocked your truck will be down until they send it back. If you buy an unlocked one you're good to start tuning once you swap in the unlocked PCM.

jlasma

Reaction score
Hmm, decisions decisions...lol
So I guess the only difference is the price, swapping would be cheaper? Plus I don’t know any reason to keep original One.

popcenator

Reaction score
It's nice to have the stock PCM to swap in when I go for service.

popcenator

Reaction score
It's said they can see breaks in the communication with the PCM and there are other indicators buried in there as well.

jlasma

Reaction score
Can I buy an unlocked pcm and still keep mine? What are the advantages of doing that?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can I buy an unlocked pcm and still keep mine? What are the advantages of doing that?
Yes you can. Not sure of the advantages. You have a spare just in case. I wanted one for mine in case my Procharger acted up I could always swap back to my factory pcm and run my truck without the Procharger and tune

Users who are viewing this thread