5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curt connector difference

jrw921

Reaction score
I have read different posts here about the Curt trailer harness. I have a 2020 Laramie with Trailer brake controls and it has a 4 pin connector. Does anyone know why some trucks come with a 5 pin Curt that includes the backup lights?
Just curious as to why the different set ups.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
You should have a 7 and a 4 connector.

The reason some have 5 is if they have surge brakes. You wouldn't be able to back up unless you have an electric bypass that is triggered by the reverse light circuit. The brakes would lock up.

jrw921

Reaction score
Thank you Richard320. That makes sense. I am adding addditonal light to supplement the back up lights and thought that using the Curt harness would be the easiest route but I can tap into the 7 pin. Thanks again

Richard320

Reaction score
Thank you Richard320. That makes sense. I am adding addditonal light to supplement the back up lights and thought that using the Curt harness would be the easiest route but I can tap into the 7 pin. Thanks again
I bought this. It was about twenty bucks cheaper a month ago, and still cheaper now that a Curt. Plug it into the back side of the 7 pin. Then cut off the wires you don't need. You'll have B+, ground, and reverse, so you can get quite creative with the wiring.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought this. It was about twenty bucks cheaper a month ago, and still cheaper now that a Curt. Plug it into the back side of the 7 pin. Then cut off the wires you don't need. You'll have B+, ground, and reverse, so you can get quite creative with the wiring.
That's the same one I ordered to run all 7 wires up to a junction box at the rear of the bed for all the electric needs when my cap is installed. I don't want the people installing the cap splicing into tail lights. Had this box sitting around the garage for years decided to find a use for it. 20220228_170519.jpg

jrw921

Reaction score
Well I keep trying to figure this out. What does this extension accomplish? If it plugs in the the back of the 7 pin and other end goes to the original power cable that you just disconnected from the back of the 7 pin, wouldnt it just offer and longer cable to work with? Im having trouble justifying 50 bucks for an extension cord that I am going to cut up anyway. Also the link you provided says it doesnt work with Ram 5th gen. Help would be appreciated.

Richard320

Reaction score
Well I keep trying to figure this out. What does this extension accomplish? If it plugs in the the back of the 7 pin and other end goes to the original power cable that you just disconnected from the back of the 7 pin, wouldnt it just offer and longer cable to work with? Im having trouble justifying 50 bucks for an extension cord that I am going to cut up anyway. Also the link you provided says it doesnt work with Ram 5th gen. Help would be appreciated.
It's a tee. And it fits perfectly. The box says it fits our trucks, and it fit my 2019 like it said. Amazon is just behind on updating.

What it does is provide weathertight connections. And then you have up to 7 wires to work with, whether you leave the additional female plug on, or cut the wires off. You wanna get some scotchloks instead and cut through the wire insulation, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread