5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Currently driving a 2007 1500

Anynameyouwish

Reaction score
I hame a hemi with about 200,000 miles on it and am saving for a new one. I am seeking input/advice on this. My truck tows only my tired butt around and not much else. I do 90% highway miles, about 80 round trip per day. I am considering either the 3.0 Ecodiesel for the fuel economy or the 2500 Cummins for the mpg/durability. Kind of wondering best case scenario with the Cummins, in terms of mpg? What tricks do you use, what mpg to expect given this information

RamGuy32

Reaction score
Ecodiesel would probably be your best bet but I must quote a saying a mechanic said to me one day about diesels, "never confuse longevity with reliability." Everything about them will be more expensive. Your commute sounds like it would be on the border because it won't get a "good workout" in that distance on highway miles. Now if those 90 miles were traversing some mountains where the diesel got to work a bit, that might be helpful. Either way, you're close enough with that long of a commute to allow it to fully warm up.

Anynameyouwish

Reaction score
Ecodiesel would probably be your best bet but I must quote a saying a mechanic said to me one day about diesels, "never confuse longevity with reliability." Everything about them will be more expensive. Your commute sounds like it would be on the border because it won't get a "good workout" in that distance on highway miles. Now if those 90 miles were traversing some mountains where the diesel got to work a bit, that might be helpful. Either way, you're close enough with that long of a commute to allow it to fully warm up.
Thanks! I live in a snowy, cold climate if that makes a difference at all.

RamGuy32

Reaction score
definitely the eco then. The bigger diesel would probably just be warming up by time you got to your destination! The diesels need to get warm (hot even) at times to help burn off particulate matter and avoid oil breakdown. The smaller diesel will work harder than the larger one and would probably do okay. I would get it with the winter pack (block and battery heaters, cover for radiator, etc.).

RamGuy32

Reaction score
Check out this post as well...pretty spot on.

Sam_The_RAM_Man

Reaction score
I hame a hemi with about 200,000 miles on it and am saving for a new one. I am seeking input/advice on this. My truck tows only my tired butt around and not much else. I do 90% highway miles, about 80 round trip per day. I am considering either the 3.0 Ecodiesel for the fuel economy or the 2500 Cummins for the mpg/durability. Kind of wondering best case scenario with the Cummins, in terms of mpg? What tricks do you use, what mpg to expect given this information
I recommend the 3.0L EcoDiesel for daily driving as you can expect upwards of 28 miles per gallon in comparison to the 6.7L Cummins getting upwards of 15 miles per gallon. Both have different purposes. If you go with the half ton EcoDiesel, I suggest getting the 3.92 axle ratio to eliminate any potential towing issues with the truck.

Its the difference between being able to pull 8,230lbs and 9,9,30lbs with a Crew Cab 4x2 5'7" bed.
It is the difference between being able to pull 7,840lbs and 9,540lbs with a Crew Cab 4x4 5'7" bed.

You may never need to tow that much, but it's better to have it and never use it, than need it and not have truck that is job rated by RAM to do it. The 3.92 gearing also helps with acceleration. In regards to axle gear ratios, the higher the number the better the truck will accelerate, but at the expense of high speed cruising.

Attached is the chart showing those figures.

Attachments

• 2021 RAM 1500 Trailer Towing Chart.pdf
    165.9 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread