5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current gear display

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
When I originally test drove my Limited, one of the options in the gauge setup screen was to enable the "Current Gear" display. Prior to delivery of the vehicle, the dealer performed several flash updates to the truck. Since then, I no longer see the Current Gear option in the setup screen. I really like being able to see the current gear in the cluster. Even the owner's manual references this option in the menu. Does anyone know if the removal of this feature is the unintended byproduct of the flash update (like the update wasn't performed properly)? Or is there another way to enable this feature (besides using the gear limit buttons)?

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So many glitches that I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer messed something up or the update.

I've only seen the option in the cluster setup screen.

If it's not there then the dealer should fix it

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is an option in some menu to display it BUT on my Limited it would not display unless I had the menu option to tag settings to keyfob (or whatever that was called). I originally didn't have that set trying to avoid other crazy settings tied to seat memory but that and a few other items didn't want to work unless the seat memory was tied to the keyfob.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
There is an option in some menu to display it BUT on my Limited it would not display unless I had the menu option to tag settings to keyfob (or whatever that was called). I originally didn't have that set trying to avoid other crazy settings tied to seat memory but that and a few other items didn't want to work unless the seat memory was tied to the keyfob.
I made sure that my "settings tied to keyfob" option was enabled, but I still don't have this option in my Screen Setup menu. I believe it should be next to Odometer, based on what the owner manual says:

Attachments

• Ram_dash.jpg
    Ram_dash.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 190

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made sure that my "settings tied to keyfob" option was enabled, but I still don't have this option in my Screen Setup menu. I believe it should be next to Odometer, based on what the owner manual says:

Go into Favorites Menu. I think it's in there. Sorry out of town today and can't check in my truck.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes it should say "Current Gear" in the setup screen.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Go into Favorites Menu. I think it's in there. Sorry out of town today and can't check in my truck.
It isn't. It gives me the option to turn off certain menus (trailer tow, fuel economy, etc.) from the scrolling list, but it does not include anything about the current gear.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It isn't. It gives me the option to turn off certain menus (trailer tow, fuel economy, etc.) from the scrolling list, but it does not include anything about the current gear.

My bad - I misread the manual. No idea why yours doesn't have the option. It would irritate me too, but I'm about to turn mine off. Aside from a quick acceleration run through the numbers, mine shows 8 all the time.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
My bad - I misread the manual. No idea why yours doesn't have the option. It would irritate me too, but I'm about to turn mine off. Aside from a quick acceleration run through the numbers, mine shows 8 all the time.
So you're saying that when you're stopped at a red light, it reads 8? That's not right. And that's not how it works in my other vehicles with the 8 speed (and 9 speed) transmissions. Maybe that's why they disabled the feature in the update that was applied to my truck?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you're saying that when you're stopped at a red light, it reads 8? That's not right. And that's not how it works in my other vehicles with the 8 speed (and 9 speed) transmissions. Maybe that's why they disabled the feature in the update that was applied to my truck?

No, it shows 1-7 but my point was that aside from the ~10 seconds accelerating or braking, it likes to sit in 8th gear even at 45MPH. Now I'm in flatland Texas so your experience could be far different. I was just remarking that since mine shows 8 so much of the time, it's really not that useful.

Jstadick

Reaction score
Yup! That's what mine looked like before the update. Pretty disappointing that it's gone now. Thanks for the confirmation that it should be there.

Not exactly ideal, but if you set the gear limit, say to -8, it will display the current gear.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Not exactly ideal, but if you set the gear limit, say to -8, it will display the current gear.
The problem with this is that having the gear limit enabled will prevent Eco mode from engaging.

Jaysond

Reaction score
Thanks so much for bringing this up! Our Grand Cherokee has this & I really like knowing at a glance what gear I'm in, didn't think it was possible in the Ram until I read this thread. Found it in the menu & enabled it, works great! Thanks again. :)

John813

Reaction score
I just use the gear limiter, but it's cool that there is an setting for it if you like using eco mode.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I need to see if I can enable mine. I was used to seeing what gear I was in when driving my F150.
You can. I did today. I'm torn about whether I'll leave it turned on. I'm not sure why the font for the gear selection numbers is slightly smaller than the font showing "PRND", but that bugs me...

KJBertetto

Reaction score
Brand new 2019 2500 Laramie, no option for this at all. Wish I could get it.

Users who are viewing this thread