5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current Frontier Owner. Considering Ram

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Afternoon. I just joined the forum to read up on the 5th Gen Ram. Right now, the Ram is a top contender for me to upgrade, but I'm still considering all my options.

I've owned MANY Nissan/Infiniti vehicles, I currently have a 2015 Frontier, which I bought new. With it, I bought a flatbed trailer to get my other cars around, I also have a 16' enclosed trailer, and slowly I've been doing more and more to make it more...complete. With over 115K on it, still looks and drives new:
20210321_162639_HDR.jpg 20210228_094957_HDR.jpg 1615553082902.png
For me, it's a fantastic little truck. It's nice to daily drive, it handles really well, and it does what I need it to do. Problem is, I've kinda outgrown it. I have 2 kids, I do a LOT of long-haul family vacations. I use my truck for work and for daily use, but not very heavy loads. I really just want a comfortable, decent handling truck that can mildly tow, go long distances, a little more interior space, and isn't that hard to live with on a daily basis.

2022 is an interesting year because a lot of re-designs have just come out, some are still under wraps, and many more are expected. The Frontier, Ranger, and Tundra will all have new models late this year and early next year. Personally, I don't feel like the 3rd gen Frontier really cuts it. A lot of ClubFrontier members are praising it, but the 3rd gen is just a 2nd gen with new skin and a new powertrain. No better room inside, no better capability, no better quality, and no better fuel economy. Why should I upgrade to another Frontier if Nissan isn't going to try to get me out of my old one?

I drove a Ram 1500 Classic Hemi for about a month as a rental, I wasn't too fond of the transmission or the top-heavy feel in the bends, but still, I'm impressed by the features, options, and capacities. It's almost like Ram knows what people want in a truck. I haven't yet established a price range, but if I can stay under 65k, I'd be happy. I just want to make sure I'm getting a truck I can live with for a long, long time.

I'm currently considering:
Ford Ranger FX-4 (post-redesign), since it's on the smaller DD side and has a lot of interior comforts and decent fuel economy.
Toyota Tundra Supercrew (post-redesign), I really like my friend's XSP, but the current model is ancient and terrible fuel economy.
Chevy Surburban Diesel. I mean, why not just get a damn school bus that can tow, at this point?
Ram EcoDiesel 33gal. Because ~1000mi range is definitely up my alley, see my 18-gal fuel tank above. I can currently get 750mi of range in the Fronty.
A Dakota Perhaps? The mythical truck Ram might be working on?

Not considering:
New Nissan Frontier, too much of the same, not enough effort put in.
Titan/Armada, also very archaic and not enough effort put in.
Outgoing Tundra. I think the Japanese brands are obsessed with selling old, archaic trucks.
Tacoma, Heard nothing but bad reviews.
Chevy, I like Chevy, but their trucks are the result of not trying hard enough.
Gladiator. I'm not a Jeep people.
Ridgeline. Has some neat tricks, but below my needed capacity.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm currently considering:
Ford Ranger FX-4 (post-redesign), since it's on the smaller DD side and has a lot of interior comforts and decent fuel economy.
Toyota Tundra Supercrew (post-redesign), I really like my friend's XSP, but the current model is ancient and terrible fuel economy.
Chevy Surburban Diesel. I mean, why not just get a damn school bus that can tow, at this point?
Ram EcoDiesel 33gal. Because ~1000mi range is definitely up my alley, see my 18-gal fuel tank above. I can currently get 750mi of range in the Fronty.
A Dakota Perhaps? The mythical truck Ram might be working on?

Not considering:
New Nissan Frontier, too much of the same, not enough effort put in.
Titan/Armada, also very archaic and not enough effort put in.
Outgoing Tundra. I think the Japanese brands are obsessed with selling old, archaic trucks.
Tacoma, Heard nothing but bad reviews.
Chevy, I like Chevy, but their trucks are the result of not trying hard enough.
Gladiator. I'm not a Jeep people.
Ridgeline. Has some neat tricks, but below my needed capacity.

I had a Frontier like yours also. The crazy thing is that G.W. Bush was still in office when that truck hit the auto shows. And yet, at 280 lb/ft of torque it still out-classes the 2021 crop of V6 engines from other companies.

Here's my $0.02:

Ford Ranger - This is a decade-old truck with a few tweaks for the U.S. market. It's kind of pathetic, and there are professional media reviews that really destroy this truck. I looked at them briefly and then laughed. They've got to be kidding.

Toyota Tundra - Again, this is a truck that's prehistoric. I can't believe they're still selling these turds. They're ugly as sin inside and out, drink gas like they're sponsored by OPEC, and have none of the tech or capability but they maintain the high price tags. And Toyota reliability is a myth. Don't even get me started on that.

Chevy - Anything made by GM is garbage. Don't walk, RUN.

Ram EcoDiesel - Can't really say a lot of negative things here. Best interior in the segment hands down. Nice looking exterior. Most diesel torque in the segment. World class transmission. Tons of space, storage, and capability. 5 star safety rating. Coil sprung rear suspension for ride quality. Tons of engine options. Hard to go wrong here.

Jeep Gladiator - One of a kind, and the resale and financing shows it. Lease residuals have been as high as 72% @ 48 months which is just insane. You can drive this truck for a few years and then MAKE money off of it. The most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned in my life. Sometimes still wish I had it.

Ford F-150 - You didn't mention it, but the F-150 is a good truck and for 2021 those on-board inverter options are SWEET. 2,000 watt to as much as 7,000 watt power onboard? The uses for that would be endless!

Oh, BTW I've owned all the stuff on this list so I'm not just throwing out regurgitated opinion.

Good luck with your choice!

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ram crew cab has hands down the nicest rear seating arrangement for 2 kids on long road trips.

It has the most legroom, seats can recline plus heated & ventilated.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you can hold out one more year you’ll have a lot of choices . Tundra redesign , GM twins with a new updated interior , Ford F-150 will be a model year in and Ram might have the Uconnect5 out . Although I think I’ve heard Ram might wait until 2023 . Lots of choices in 2022 . I’m not trying to talk you out of the Ram and if your budget is 65k or lower you can get a really nicely equipped Ram for that . For fuel economy though you’ll be disappointed with the HEMI .

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Ford Ranger - This is a decade-old truck with a few tweaks for the U.S. market. It's kind of pathetic, and there are professional media reviews that really destroy this truck. I looked at them briefly and then laughed. They've got to be kidding.

Toyota Tundra - Again, this is a truck that's prehistoric. I can't believe they're still selling these turds. They're ugly as sin inside and out, drink gas like they're sponsored by OPEC, and have none of the tech or capability but they maintain the high price tags. And Toyota reliability is a myth. Don't even get me started on that.

Ram EcoDiesel - Can't really say a lot of negative things here. Best interior in the segment hands down. Nice looking exterior. Most diesel torque in the segment. World class transmission. Tons of space, storage, and capability. 5 star safety rating. Coil sprung rear suspension for ride quality. Tons of engine options. Hard to go wrong here.

Jeep Gladiator - One of a kind, and the resale and financing shows it. Lease residuals have been as high as 72% @ 48 months which is just insane. You can drive this truck for a few years and then MAKE money off of it. The most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned in my life. Sometimes still wish I had it.

Ford F-150 - You didn't mention it, but the F-150 is a good truck and for 2021 those on-board inverter options are SWEET. 2,000 watt to as much as 7,000 watt power onboard? The uses for that would be endless!

Oh, BTW I've owned all the stuff on this list so I'm not just throwing out regurgitated opinion.

Good luck with your choice!
I haven't really done many butt reviews, yet, but my father in law has a Silverado, and again, I got a 1500 classic Hemi for a month. The Silverado is complete 'meh.'

The Ranger looks really good on paper, I've never been a Ford fan, but everything I've seen, it really looks nice for the size class. Decent rear seat room, very SUV-like inside (which I like for comfort), it still has a hand-brake, 400W Inverter, good towing capacity, excellent trailer brake controller that integrates with the automatic emergency braking. I don't like Ford, but in the mid-size segment, I think they did the best job making a tow-capable family vehicle. For the record, it's also getting a 2022 re-design.

I'll be honest, I really don't want to go full-size, I really like having a truck that I can toss around like a Honda Civic. I can squeeze my Frontier anywhere, it's easy to park, I can make a U-turn at 45MPH. The 1500 classic I rented last year had no problem reminding me how ridiculously large and heavy it is, regardless of the 400hp Hemi engine. But, here's the thing, I'm probably going to have to make the jump to a more family-friendly roadtripper, so if I'm going full size, I'm going to be a picky shopper.

I would love the Tundra or Titan if they weren't both sitting on ancient underpinnings and getting 12MPG. The Tundra supercrew is almost as big as the megacab. It's also getting a full re-design this year, too, but I don't have very high expectations. F-150, I'm not a Ford fan. I only really praise the Ranger because IMO, it set the curve in a class full of failures.

What blows my mind is that mid-size trucks are just archaic and getting terrible fuel economy. I get that mid-size trucks are more tuned towards light-duty fleet sales and weekend project warriors, but it surprises me that there really isn't a mid-size truck that feels like its for grownups or people who want all of the comforts without the size. My Frontier isn't exactly small for a family car, but it feels cheap all around, like they forgot that people are buying 4-door trucks because they have families.

CMil527

Reaction score
Welcome, i researched a few of the options you have mentioned in the full size market and imo the Ram came out on top in most categories but as mentioned the fuel economy leaves alot to be desired..but alas not why I got the truck. Good luck with your decision!

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just came over from an F150 Ecoboost.
I don't miss it.
Ram has their truck dialed in real well.

GAscooter

Reaction score
I had an ‘04 Frontier for 13 years before my Ram, and my son has a ’15 like yours. If all you have driven is a Classic, then you should really drive a couple of 5th gens. I had a Classic for a couple of months as a rental while my truck was in the body shop (a tree fell on it during Zeta). They are completely different trucks. The biggest surprise for me, coming from the Frontier, was the gas mileage with the Hemi. I get the same 17 mpg that I always got with that truck. My Frontier was a crew cab, so it was a PIA to park, too. Good luck!

STR

Reaction score
No brand loyalty here. I’ve own(ed) Ram, Ford (F150 & Ranger) Chevy (Silverado & Colorado), Dodge (Dakota), and Toyota trucks. When researching last year, Ram was an easy decision. When I’m back in the market, I will consider all of them again. Right now, Ram has the edge, but Ford and Chevy are gaining ground. I wouldn’t consider Toyota, Nissan, or Honda, which continue to lose ground and are antiquated in comparison.

My only caveat is if you’re looking solely at MPG, which wasn’t a major concern for me, then Ram is not the greatest. Everything else (y) (y)

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Been doing my research. I mean, so far, the Ram seems like a perfectly suitable upgrade for the Frontier. I'm not sure when I'll be pulling the trigger, but I'm going on a road trip this summer, and it may be a good excuse to rent a 5th gen for a week.

MPG really isn't my sole motivation for switching, I wouldn't be shopping pickup trucks if MPG was my main factor. What mainly attracts me to the EcoDiesel is the MPG combined with the tank size means it has a ridiculous amount of Range, and I LOVE vehicles that have range. I will gladly drive 10+ hours without even a pee break. Capacity isn't huge, either. I can make do with my Frontier, and if there were better offerings in the mid-size category I would stick with a mid-size truck.

Personally, I'm looking to get a little room for my family on long trips, some better storage cubbies to keep all of the little things (like trailer supplies, tools, and key rings), and decent travel range. I want to do this while also being able to tow around 7,000lbs and not sacrifice too much highway fuel economy.

Really, only 4 vehicles really hit the mark: Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Silverado 1500 Duramax, Suburban/Tahoe Duramax (if I want to go fully enclosed), or Ranger (If I stick with a mid-size). The Ecodiesel seems to have the edge on almost every category. I did notice, however, I really have to watch what options I pick. I found that a lot of the Fully-Loaded Ecodiesels only have about 1,000lb payload because they're so weighted down with 4x4, air-ride, full-glass roof, ramboxes, dual purpose tailgate, etc. Guess I might want to tread lightly when checking those boxes.

silver billet

Reaction score
The i6 duramax is noticably quicker off the line vs the ecodiesel, and also does not have any lag issues. Combined with the excellent 10 speed, I would prefer the GM diesel drivetrain over the ED drivetrain. I believe the ED is rated to tow more. But when you factor in the rest of the truck, Ram is definitely ahead, so just depends on how much drivetrain matters to you.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Silverado 1500 is stuck with a small 24 gallon tank and no option to upgrade

jselkins

Reaction score
Just went from a Honda Ridgeline to a Ram 1500 with the 6 cylinder. The 6 is PLENTY for what I do and has lots of power and 4 more miles per gallon. I love it. I was skeptical too going from such a maneuverable truck to the full size, but I've already gotten used to it and am VERY impressed how well it maneuvers. The transmission to me is just something to get used to. I think the 9 speed is for fuel economy and shifts a LOT more than a 4 or 5 speed tranny. But they're all going that route now.

Users who are viewing this thread