5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curious what my best sway prevention solution would be

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have shared use of an R-Pod single axle travel trailer that I use 4-5 times a a year and currently pull with a standard ball hitch with stock truck and no weigh distribution or sway bars on hitch. The dry weight of trailer is 2,535lbs and fully loaded it is at most 3,800lbs (approx 400lbs hitch weight) plus additional weight in the bed of the truck. Long story short well within capacities. The truck pulls this trailer fine but occasionally there is more sway than I would like in wind etc. Given that I am not pulling real heavy or real frequent I am curious what folks think my best options are for reducing that occasional sway without a big investment in a $600 WDH etc. Would it be good to start with the Hellwig sway bar? Are the lower cost WDH with sway bars good enough? I realize there are likely a million opinions but am curious on other's thoughts.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, certainly cheaper than a full WDH set-up. Looks like this would involve some welding to use with my existing hitch or they sell a hitch with the welded plate.
Sell.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the trailer fishtailing, or does the truck get squirrelly? If it's the truck, a stiffer (Hellwig) rear sway bar will help, and also help when you aren't pulling the trailer.
I would say it is the trailer fishtailing. I have been pulling trailers for 20 plus years for personal and work use from 4x8 utility trailers up to 20ft dump trailers so I don't think I am overly sensitive to it but the fact this travel trailer is single axle and has lots of wind resistance seems to make it more prone to wander a bit. Maybe I should start with the Hellwig anyways since it seems everyone loves that upgrade in general.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get it on a scale or measure heights before and after the trailer?

Your trailer is almost exactly the same weight as mine, but ours is very tongue heavy (524 dry, probably over 600 loaded). We're going on another trip soon and will be getting loaded and unloaded weights before we leave town.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you get it on a scale or measure heights before and after the trailer?

Your trailer is almost exactly the same weight as mine, but ours is very tongue heavy (524 dry, probably over 600 loaded). We're going on another trip soon and will be getting loaded and unloaded weights before we leave town.
I have not had actual weights - am just estimating based on manufacturer specs etc. I plan to get real world weights next summer at some point.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure I understand your reply? Are you suggesting I sell the truck to help with the sway :ROFLMAO:
No need to weld, these are for sale. Might make sure your trailer tongue is level, or very slightly lower at the hitch as well.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would definitely invest in a rear sway bar for the truck first. It is an excellent upgrade that helps the truck regardless of whether you are towing or not, and will add some stability to your towing.

IMO, if you are towing that same trailer multiple times a year, a good WDH is a worthy invstment. $600 or so is cheap peace of mind, and it would give you some consistency and control on your trips.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My opinion with that trailer is that it will tow a whole bunch better with more tongue weight, if you can get another 100-150 on the hitch it will not jerk the truck around. Single axle need closer to 15% to smooth out. Those construction generators and flood lights suck to tow!

drydocked

Reaction score
Truck tire pressure makes a difference too, air them up to the max when towing to eliminate some of the sidewall flex. I wish I had the Falken Wildpeaks that are on your truck that can be aired up to 51 psi max, I have the Bridgestone's that are 44 max. Even with the Bridgestone's, putting them at 44 vs the standard psi makes the truck more stable when towing.
I'm also looking at the Timbren SES, I've heard good things about those helping to control sway and they're an easy install. I think without a weight distribution hitch it would be even more beneficial.
Watch craigslist for used weight distribution hitches, they come up for sale regularly. The ones with the sliding bars like Equal-i-zer and E2 do a good job.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Definitely start with hellwig. It changed my experience with my travel trailer. I have a wdh and it's always been squirrely. It's rated for 1000# tongue and 10000# tow and is too much bar for my 5000# max travel trailer. I just use a standard ball now and it's definitely better with the hellwig.

I started with the Bridgestone road tires that were soft. Went to falken wildpeaks 10 ply and it for sure helped too.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you see anything with the hellwig and trailer?..truly not trying to be an @$$...but while I love the sway bar, I have never seen anything improved with hauling.

Hellwig removed body roll"sway"

Nothing for my butt getting jerked around from too little tongue weight

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Did you see anything with the hellwig and trailer?..truly not trying to be an @$$...but while I love the sway bar, I have never seen anything improved with hauling.

Hellwig removed body roll"sway"

Nothing for my butt getting jerked around from too little tongue weight
Fair question.

Yes, I still feel it pull when passing a semi or getting hit with a gust of wind, but it's not a doughy, white knuckle situation. Instead, you feel it move like you're on rollercoaster tracks that just had a bend... Taking out the side rolling dough feeling helps tremendously with control. The sway stops just as fast as it started rather than making you hold your breath and pucker up.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truthly, even a wdh can't fix too little weight....so just as an example a single axle 4×8 'lawnmower' trailer @1000# should feel like lifting 2 of your wheels/tires ie 150# a travel trailer should feel like lifting all 4 wheels, my dumb @$$, and a sack of white castle....😆

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Truthly, even a wdh can't fix too little weight....so just as an example a single axle 4×8 'lawnmower' trailer @1000# should feel like lifting 2 of your wheels/tires ie 150# a travel trailer should feel like lifting all 4 wheels, my dumb @$$, and a sack of white castle....😆
Haha. Very true about the tongue weights. Make sure that's there first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online