5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curious problems in the first 200 miles

Reaction score
So, just a bit curious as to something completely bizarre in a less than 200-mile vehicle. We flew into Atlanta for a wedding, and at Enterprise happened to get a brand-new to the fleet Ram 1500 quad cab with less than 200 miles and single every bell and whistle. We drove north to the hotel in northwest Georgia, and didn't use the truck until the next day. However, on that day, the driver's central dash display warning screen, after a few minutes of operation, would indicate that "ALL NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS ARE BEING DISCONTINUED TO SAVE BATTERY POWER", then that screen warning would go away. After a few stops and starts doing a little sightseeing, pressing the start button started the truck, but the start sound was off, like a weakened battery. That time, not only did the driver's central screen displayed the same warning, AND the check engine light turned on, AND the truck, from the engine compartment, started putting out an odor smelling quite a bit like heated brakes - and all of this with 292 miles on the odometer! As there was an Enterprise in town, we called immediately, and told them we were bringing in the Ram. They were great about it, and put us into a Ford 150 instead - not as posh by any means, but at least it performed fine for the next few days without any issues. Has anyone experienced anything similar? We don't have a dog in this fight, as it was simply a rental used only for road travel, but the Enterprise folks were dumbfounded, parked it in back, and immediately called FCA. Three days later, it was still sitting on the Enterprise back lot.

Attachments

• ram ram.jpg
    ram ram.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
Sounds like “one of those” threads by a new member. I sure hope these guys get paid to write this stuff.
Nope, none of that here, unfortunately. The truck itself looked fantastic, in and out, but the failure was just bizarre. Doubt the story? Just call the Rome, Georgia Enterprise location at (706) 290-1093 and ask them about the white Ram quad cab that they exchanged on Friday, October 19, with just 275 miles on the odometer. When we left town on Monday, October 22, it was still parked behind Enterprise. Do you think we really wanted to be in a 15,000 mile Ford 150? Heck, it wasn't even a 4x4. Frankly, I'm just curious as to whether this failure has shown up with another Ram, and just what it was.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That’s it. You’ve convinced me to cancel my order and go buy a rental spec F150.
Hopefully not. Do you think we really wanted to be in a 15,000 mile Ford 150? Heck, it wasn't even a 4x4. The Ram itself looked fantastic, in and out, but the failure was just bizarre. Doubt the story? Just call the Rome, Georgia Enterprise location at (706) 290-1093 and ask them about the white Ram quad cab that they exchanged on Friday, October 19, with just 275 miles on the odometer. When we left town on Monday, October 22, it was still parked behind Enterprise. Frankly, I'm just curious as to whether this failure has shown up with another Ram, and just what it was.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, none of that here, unfortunately. The truck itself looked fantastic, in and out, but the failure was just bizarre. Doubt the story? Just call the Rome, Georgia Enterprise location at (706) 290-1093 and ask them about the white Ram quad cab that they exchanged on Friday, October 19, with just 275 miles on the odometer. When we left town on Monday, October 22, it was still parked behind Enterprise. Do you think we really wanted to be in a 15,000 mile Ford 150? Heck, it wasn't even a 4x4. Frankly, I'm just curious as to whether this failure has shown up with another Ram, and just what it was.

Just seems like an odd post for the same day you joined. I’ve never joined a forum to complain about a product that I didn’t own. Even if I rented a ford and had an issue, I just couldn’t see taking the time to go write about it on a Ford forum, let alone, create an account.

GATORB8

Reaction score
You never know what happened in 200 miles in a rental. Someone probably used it to wade through hurricane waters in east Georgia last month.

Guessing either the alternator or the battery is toast. Good thing the truck figured it out and powered down non essentials so you didn't get stranded.

Funny, was watching the "6 things about the ETorque" video, and the product expert said most trucks could only run about 15 minutes on battery alone (no alternator) with all the systems pulling power.

Reaction score
Just seems like an odd post for the same day you joined. I’ve never joined a forum to complain about a product that I didn’t own. Even if I rented a ford and had an issue, I just couldn’t see taking the time to go write about it on a Ford forum, let alone, create an account.
Troutspinner - More from a curiosity standpoint on my end. I've happily owned other Chrysler/FCA products - and Ford, and GM, and others - but to have such a bizarre failure in the first few hundred miles of a brand-new Ram seemed worth checking out, and this seemed the best place for it. I meandered around to some other sites, and oddly enough, on edmunds.com, there's are threads that appear to be showing similar issues with the 2019.

Reaction score
You never know what happened in 200 miles in a rental. Someone probably used it to wade through hurricane waters in east Georgia last month.

Guessing either the alternator or the battery is toast. Good thing the truck figured it out and powered down non essentials so you didn't get stranded.

Funny, was watching the "6 things about the ETorque" video, and the product expert said most trucks could only run about 15 minutes on battery alone (no alternator) with all the systems pulling power.

No clue at this point. Enterprise was quick to keep us on the road (wedding rehearsal dinner that night for a bridesmaid in our party) in the F150. As of today, Enterprise says the local Ram dealer picked it up to go over it, but they'd not heard back yet (that probably goes through Enterprise corporate, and as the Ram was out of ATL, that's probably the last the Rome Enterprise location will hear of it). From the airport in Atlanta, with under 200 miles, I think we were the first to rent it, and that was post-Hurricane Michael (which did not pass through Atlanta).

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like just a bad battery to me. You're going to get some strange smells for the first few hundred miles as all of the oil, paint etc cooks off.

Reaction score
Sounds like just a bad battery to me. You're going to get some strange smells for the first few hundred miles as all of the oil, paint etc cooks off.
Perhaps - but the smell had that distinctive cooked-brakes odor (without any of the brakes being hot - checked that first). Enterprise simply swaps you into another vehicle, so we might never know what the bogey was.

Reaction score
That cooked brakes smell is exactly what the burn off smell smells like on a car/truck that is that new.

Based on the other issues the truck was having, I would wager it has a bad alternator and/or battery.
Not any of the new cars that I've ever owned - I'm thinking now it was either a cooking battery or a bum alternator.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
Troutspinner - More from a curiosity standpoint on my end. I've happily owned other Chrysler/FCA products - and Ford, and GM, and others - but to have such a bizarre failure in the first few hundred miles of a brand-new Ram seemed worth checking out, and this seemed the best place for it. I meandered around to some other sites, and oddly enough, on edmunds.com, there's are threads that appear to be showing similar issues with the 2019.

Could have just gotten a poorly made one. Like anything else, new things sometimes have issues. Every make and model has a small precentage of failures, nothing is always perfect. Which is why, I assume, they offer factory warranties. It would not deter me from buying one. Mine has run really well.

Reaction score
Could have just gotten a poorly made one. Like anything else, new things sometimes have issues. Every make and model has a small precentage of failures, nothing is always perfect. Which is why, I assume, they offer factory warranties. It would not deter me from buying one. Mine has run really well.
Likely so - and I'm not a fanboy for any make or marque, just a curious guy who got a bum Ram at Enterprise and wondered if it was growing pains for the 5th gen. We're due for our next rig in about two years, so we'll see what shakes out by then.

Hilkmik

Reaction score
I have the same problem with a 2019 ram 1500 that I purchased on October 23. In the shop on the 26th with battery and engine light on. The battery in not being charged by the engine power. I was told at the dealer that these things are heavily reliant on battery power. If I would have kept driving it it would have shut down completely like others have stated. I have had other problems already like sticking steering wheel, noise cancellation system making a very sharp cracking sound, driver side speakers shutting off, steering wheel sticking when trying to turn left and finally the truck would not shift out of park without shifting the nob back and forth a few times (shift issue only happened one time). I told the dealer we should just call it a lemon now. I factory order mine. It's a shame. When it runs it is a real pleasure to drive. I am asking for a refund. We will see how that goes. Probably will have to let the lemon law process run it's course.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Troutspinner - More from a curiosity standpoint on my end. I've happily owned other Chrysler/FCA products - and Ford, and GM, and others - but to have such a bizarre failure in the first few hundred miles of a brand-new Ram....

A couple of years ago I had reserved a rental from Enterprise. I had specified a full-size sedan (I was taking guests to Niagara Falls). When I got there my shiny new Ford Fusion (600+ miles) was sitting there with the hood up and two technicians scratching their heads. I asked what was wrong and they said that all four windows were in the down position and nothing they did could raise them! Needless to say a couple of battery disconnects didn't cure it and we ended up in a Kia SUV.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 005181 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread