5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cubby under ramcharger in console

kc9umr

Reaction score
under the ramcharger phone pad in my console is a "cubby" - just a small recess. Anyone have ideas what that is really meant for?

At the moment, I'm trying to get the complete dimensions of it (tough to measure the back height, because it tapers down), and am planning on putting a 12V distribution block in there for accessories, including some circuit breakers - just curious why it's there.

dacm99

Reaction score
under the ramcharger phone pad in my console is a "cubby" - just a small recess. Anyone have ideas what that is really meant for?

At the moment, I'm trying to get the complete dimensions of it (tough to measure the back height, because it tapers down), and am planning on putting a 12V distribution block in there for accessories, including some circuit breakers - just curious why it's there.
This is where the CD player was in the 2019 model year. I have the CD player.

antwon412

Reaction score
I stick my wallet in there. Really hidden in the dark cavernous center console. Even if I forget to pull it out when I leave the truck, I don’t know that someone would really find it if they were breaking into the truck.

jdale

Reaction score
I use it to hold a bottle of Tums just in case of issues. Doubt that's RAM's intention but it works well.

kc9umr

Reaction score
1604071242779.png

here's what I'm working on.... should wedge in there well (might need to taper the back just a touch - the intent is to NOT cut up the rubber mat in the bottom).

main breaker for loads in the front (some switched, some always live)
breaker for the igniton switched tap - which drives a relay to provide up to 20A switched power for making sure some things turn on and off with the ignition
6 sub breakers for loads in the front (CB, dash cam, possibly a toughbook...4 ignition switched, 2 right off the main/battery)
breaker for the rear, where the radio bodies are installed... there will be a sub panel back there.

kc9umr

Reaction score
...had to use the classic Ram logo, because noone seems to have modeled the new one on thingiverse yet.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I stick my wallet in there. Really hidden in the dark cavernous center console. Even if I forget to pull it out when I leave the truck, I don’t know that someone would really find it if they were breaking into the truck.

Now we know you put your wallet there :giggle::giggle::giggle:. Well i never use that space because this truck has so much space.

dacm99

Reaction score
View attachment 73101

here's what I'm working on.... should wedge in there well (might need to taper the back just a touch - the intent is to NOT cut up the rubber mat in the bottom).

breaker for the igniton switched tap - which drives a relay to provide up to 20A switched power for making sure some things turn on and off with the ignition
6 sub breakers for loads in the front (CB, dash cam, possibly a toughbook...4 ignition switched, 2 right off the main/battery)
breaker for the rear, where the radio bodies are installed... there will be a sub panel back there.
This looks really cool!

kc9umr

Reaction score
after most of a spool of PLA trying to get everything just right, i'm about to order a spool of black ABS to get it built. now that i've got antennas on, it's time to get power routed so i can get some radios installed.

kc9umr

Reaction score
after most of a spool of PLA trying to get everything just right, i'm about to order a spool of black ABS to get it built. now that i've got antennas on, it's time to get power routed so i can get some radios installed.
almost forgot - I'll post some "complete" photos. I did find on my last build that i needed to scoot the main 30A breakers away from the wall about 1/16" of an inch. I also had to get rid of the "ram-styled" chamfer , just because of fit. I got all my aircraft breakers in now, and wire... it was a fun ebay shopping spree.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 73101

Is that a 3D print project? Sorry I'm a bit late to the thread, but I just found this and wondered if you ever finished it out? Might be something a lot of us could use.

kc9umr

Reaction score
yes, i 3D printed it.

Sorry for the delay - I don't get updates when someone responds all the time.

The part is up on thingverse (update - it's on tinkercad, see link below) - it's a bit tight, but it seems to work well. The hard part for a lot of people will be getting the breakers, but if you're into 3D printing, you can modify it to your own needs.....

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes, i 3D printed it.

Sorry for the delay - I don't get updates when someone responds all the time.

The part is up on thingverse - it's a bit tight, but it seems to work well. The hard part for a lot of people will be getting the breakers, but if you're into 3D printing, you can modify it to your own needs.....
Search for "cubby" didn't turn up anything that looked like it. Can you give us a bit more of a trail to follow?

kc9umr

Reaction score
yeah, sorry, not thingverse... my mistake. check the tinkercad link i posted.

Users who are viewing this thread