5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cruise Control Malfunctions

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
My cruise control would not turn off by switch or braking. I had a lot of dash board emblem pop up. I had so many messages, I can't even remember them all. Has anybody experienced this, this is my first real problem with my Ram and I'm just cresting 3000 miles. This is very concerning because I had to pull over in rush hour traffic to try to figure out what's going on. I forgot to add that I lost throttle response altogether. The gas pedal would not respond at all. Thankfully the brakes worked but the cruise was still engaged.

Ram Guru
Reaction score

immersivenc

Reaction score
Wow, that sounds terrifying. Definitely report this to everyone you can think of.

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
Aries Ram, glad to hear that you came out OK. Here is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Complaint form. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

After that, contact the dealer and RamCares by phone, and provide a verbatim of what happened (in writing to the dealer), otherwise, they might not recognize the seriousness of this situation. This is the type of situation that I would not want my wife or daughter to experience when driving the truck!
Thank you Sir.

warvet

Reaction score
my coworker has a Charger.....a 2018. This happened to her and I swore she was not telling the truth because she didn't understand how cruise control worked. She was asking us how it worked.

long story short..........there was a recall and she hadn't gotten the letter yet. They fixed it. Im not sure if there is an issue on our Rams

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to the recall, the issue can be triggered when the car accelerates while operating under cruise control, which it might do in order to maintain its speed while climbing a hill, the company said. This could potentially cause a short circuit.

When that happens, the vehicle can become locked in cruise control. The typical methods for exiting cruise control — tapping on the brakes or hitting the designated switch — can stop working. However, drivers would still be able to slow down or stop their vehicles by hitting the brakes, shifting into neutral or both.

Aries Ram, If that fits what happened, then RAM may need to extend the recall.

Users who are viewing this thread