5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cruise control keeps accelerating

Renatboost

Reaction score
2022 e-Torque, set cruise control and no issue. Use steering wheel button to accelerate and once button is touched the speed just continues to accelerate and climb, and it will continue to climb. Nothing stops it from accelerating except the brake to cancel cruiscontrol.

Thought I read a post on this forum but can’t find it any longer.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
If you cannot cancel or disengage from steering wheel controls, perhaps the accelerate button switch may be sticking and not allowing those steering wheel controls to be recognized?
If your issue is easily reproduced, then this may be one of those times when a dealership service tech cannot say there's nothing wrong. Use your waranty.

Steve

Derek916

Reaction score
Hrmm...now i wonder if I accidently hit cruise control. I don't even know where the button is. Where is the button?

Here is a video of what happened to me this week. Was it similar?

I also have a '22 eTorque 5.7

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
If you hold th button to speed up it goes up by 5 or to the next
If you tap th button it’ll go up by 1mph

Draconicus Mechanicus

Reaction score
Hrmm...now i wonder if I accidently hit cruise control. I don't even know where the button is. Where is the button?

Here is a video of what happened to me this week. Was it similar?

I also have a '22 eTorque 5.7
It's unlikely that was caused by cruise, it won't set below 20 MPH if I remember right. It'll let you turn it on, but if you try to activate it, it dings at you and gives a warning on in the cluster about speed being too low. I'm not sure if the system will let you resume cruise below 20 MPH though. I know it won't let you set, but I've never tried to resume a previous set speed. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that possibility. It seems like a massive safety issue, so I'd assume it would also not let you resume cruise below 20.

To answer your location question, the cruise controls are on the right pad of the steering wheel.

1655746711223.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's unlikely that was caused by cruise, it won't set below 20 MPH if I remember right. It'll let you turn it on, but if you try to activate it, it dings at you and gives a warning on in the cluster about speed being too low. I'm not sure if the system will let you resume cruise below 20 MPH though. I know it won't let you set, but I've never tried to resume a previous set speed. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that possibility. It seems like a massive safety issue, so I'd assume it would also not let you resume cruise below 20.

To answer your location question, the cruise controls are on the right pad of the steering wheel.

View attachment 132682
You can resume, that's the whole point of speed adaptive cruise control.

The truck itself even goes to a complete stop for you, and you just need to tap the gas and the truck will accelerate for you

Note on the picture the right button is regular cruise control, the left one is speed adaptive. If you are in slow traffic going between 1-15 mph the speed adaptive cruise control works and will speed up and slow down for you, it only stops working if you go to a complete stop 0 mph, and then u just tap the gas and it works again. Personally I don't like using it in some stop and go traffic as the thing will gun it if the person in front of you changes lanes, just to slap on the brakes. If gas was cheap I guess I wouldn't care.

OP doesn't list enough information to help, could be a stuck button but they aren't listing the options they have that affect the cruise control vs speed adaptive or anything else.

A video would help so we can see actual problem or show it's working as designed.

Draconicus Mechanicus

Reaction score
You can resume, that's the whole point of speed adaptive cruise control.

The truck itself even goes to a complete stop for you, and you just need to tap the gas and the truck will accelerate for you

Note on the picture the right button is regular cruise control, the left one is speed adaptive. If you are in slow traffic going between 1-15 mph the speed adaptive cruise control works and will speed up and slow down for you, it only stops working if you go to a complete stop 0 mph, and then u just tap the gas and it works again. Personally I don't like using it in some stop and go traffic as the thing will gun it if the person in front of you changes lanes, just to slap on the brakes. If gas was cheap I guess I wouldn't care.

OP doesn't list enough information to help, could be a stuck button but they aren't listing the options they have that affect the cruise control vs speed adaptive or anything else.

A video would help so we can see actual problem or show it's working as designed.
I was actually just coming here to correct myself, as I've never had ACC in this truck until yesterday. Tried it about an hour ago and it indeed did resume with ACC. I didn't think to try it with conventional cruise, not sure how that would react. I wasn't thinking about the adaptive start and stop earlier when I typed that, chock it up to me being a little dumb.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was actually just coming here to correct myself, as I've never had ACC in this truck until yesterday. Tried it about an hour ago and it indeed did resume with ACC. I didn't think to try it with conventional cruise, not sure how that would react. I wasn't thinking about the adaptive start and stop earlier when I typed that, chock it up to me being a little dumb.
I THINK you can resume the regular cruise control at lower speeds.
I generally use the speed adaptive on the shortest travel distance though so i'm not 100% sure but either way it would accelerate like OP either way so i'm leaning on the side of working as intended and RTFM lol.

Draconicus Mechanicus

Reaction score
I THINK you can resume the regular cruise control at lower speeds.
I generally use the speed adaptive on the shortest travel distance though so i'm not 100% sure but either way it would accelerate like OP either way so i'm leaning on the side of working as intended and RTFM lol.
Oh, I was talking about Derek, not OP. OP's problem sounds like a stuck button, either some grit got in there or it needs to go to the dealer to get looked at. And now that I'm thinking about it, I wanna say I did try resuming conventional cruise from low speed, but I also might be thinking about my Tacoma I traded for this Ram. That would have been in it's ACC, but that's really just because Toyota made the ACC the default cruise option, you have to hold the cruise power on button to get conventional and that's just a chore versus one click for ACC, I can't afford to expend the precious two brain cells of mental power it takes to remember to hold something, I need those two to remember to breath.

Derek's problem seems funky, because that video shows some pretty intense acceleration, much more than what my little experiment had, and it was still trying to accelerate while it appeared he was braking. Guess it could be the joyous floor mat over the pedal routine. If not, then it also should just go to the dealer too. Same as you said for OP though, more info needed on that to provide any insight beyond a WAG.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are we watching the same video? His truck barely looks like it's moving.

In fact it sounds like he popped his truck into neutral at the end lol, maybe wacked the knob.

The first few weeks I put my truck into 4high by mistake and didn't realize until I got home and felt my damn tires rubbing while I was doing a 180 degree turn in my driveway crying as I wasted precious rubber,

Derek916

Reaction score
Are we watching the same video? His truck barely looks like it's moving.

In fact it sounds like he popped his truck into neutral at the end lol, maybe wacked the knob.

The first few weeks I put my truck into 4high by mistake and didn't realize until I got home and felt my damn tires rubbing while I was doing a 180 degree turn in my driveway crying as I wasted precious rubber,
Yes, I was most definitely freaking out at the end. I haven't experienced the issue since then. I guess it should also be noted that the last surge I most definitely did not have my foot on the accelerator.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, I was most definitely freaking out at the end. I haven't experienced the issue since then. I guess it should also be noted that the last surge I most definitely did not have my foot on the accelerator.
My truck sometimes acts weird if I drive it without giving it a solid minute or 2 to lower its rpms. If I start it and go after 20 seconds it's jerky as hell. Not as bad as yours looked though.

Users who are viewing this thread