5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross Country Trip

Han Ridge

Reaction score
My wife and I are 4000 miles into our 7000 mile cross country camping trip. My truck has a 3.92 rear and I am towing a Rockwood 2509 TT with a GVWR of 6900 lbs , but it’s actually weight for this trip is under 6000 lbs. The Ram is doing good but for me I would not want to tow long distances with any trailer larger then what I have. I am averaging 9.5 mpg towing. On flat and level the transmission stays in 7th gear but with a head wind it shifts to 6th. Going over mountain passes it will shift to 5th and it has gone to 4th once or twice. I seldom go over 65 mph. The adaptive cruse is great but does lower mpg. I have a WDH and sway has not been an issue. I did hit 40 mph gusts a week or so back going across west Texas and that was a rough day. I have installed airlift 1000 hd air bags and they have taken a lot of the bounce out or the rear when towing over uneven roads. So far so good, should be back in Charleston SC in 3 weeks. Currently in Sedona AZ. What a beautiful place.

Attachments

• 20190324_135926-1612x1209.jpg
    20190324_135926-1612x1209.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 57

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. My wife and I are on a cross country trip as well and loving it. Started in south Florida on February 5th. Currently in Flagstaff. We took a day trip to Sedona two days ago, spectacular drive and views there. Experienced some of those 40mph gusts you mentioned in Texas and New Mexico, had to slow to 60mph from our normal 65 on those days. We’ve logged about 7500 miles on this trip so far, about 3000 of that towing our travel trailer with our 4th gen Ram. Our camper is heavier than yours, exact same length, and we’re towing with a Pentastar V6! We plan to order our 2019 Ram at the end of this trip in mid April. Ending up in northern WV. Might order through Koons in Virginia.

Last edited:

Han Ridge

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. My wife and I are on a cross country trip as well and loving it. Started in south Florida on February 5th. Currently in Flagstaff. We took a day trip to Sedona two days ago, spectacular drive and views there. Experienced some of those 40mph gusts you mentioned in Texas and New Mexico, had to slow to 60mph from our normal 65 on those days. We’ve logged about 7500 miles on this trip so far, about 3000 of that towing our travel trailer with our 4th gen Ram. Our camper is heavier than yours, exact same length, and we’re towing with a Pentastar V6! We plan to order our 2019 Ram at the end of this trip in mid April. Ending up in northern WV. Might order through Koons in Virginia.
Koons is a good dealer, my wife and I have bought 3 vehicles from them.

Users who are viewing this thread