5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross country traveling....?

kittyjo

Reaction score
Anybody doing any long distance traveling in just the truck? Plan on doing trips from North Carolina to San Diego California every other other year... just want to see how it handles and long trips

2wd

Reaction score
I've done nothing that far but many trips up and down I-95 @ 250 miles plus each way.

Truck is a pleasure to drive. A real cruiser. And I'm in a pleb Big Horn!

Engine purrs. Cabin is quiet and refined.

Merry Christmas!

maddog49

Reaction score
Yes several thousand miles a trip and it handles them well even with 5 passengers. Enjoy it more than a car or minivan on similar trips.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Michigan to San Diego a couple months ago. Very nice road trip. Loved the cooled seats when my a** was tired and hot from sitting for a few hundred miles each day. Fuel mileage avg 20 mpg.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
NC to OKC yes. Thats one reason we bought it, but spouse doesn't want to chance ice this time of year so the old Ford will be taken out. Otherwise (nicer weather) its the trip vehicle. About all it sees is highway.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Recently got back from my solo FL to PA roadtrip last week. Absolutely loved the trip while driving my BigHorn!!!
Smooth comes to mind going down the road. The power of the Hemi when I needed it was great.
This makes my second roundtrip FL to PA this year. Next year I am going to do the trip at least every 3 months and am looking forward to it!!!

I am considering getting the Tyger T3 tonneau cover to store my luggage in the bed. This will give me more room to stretch out in the back seat!!! I make frequent stops due to my back issues and hit up the rest stops to walk/stretch/snooze. The cabin space is beautiful, did not feel jammed/crammed up at all.

I don't have the A/C seats though mine are heated which helps my back. I have a heavy foot so I was doing like 16.5 to 17.6 MPG. I will play with the tweaking of the tire pressure on my next trip along with the tonneau cover may see some changes (heavy foot...well you know!!!) in MPG. I have seen the 20MPG on my shorter trips 2-400 mile trips.

I did notice the better feeling of driving the mountains/curves with my Hellwig Rear sway bar!!! The elimination of the top heavy"truck feeling" going around a curve makes it feel more like a well planted big car. Until BMW comes out with a full size truck, I am happy with the way my truck handles the curves since installing that sway bar!!! I took a few back roads in Virginia and Pennsylvania enjoying the twisties and was very happy with the handling.

I have flown too many times to count but a good road trip in a vehicle you enjoy such as our RAM19 makes it an adventure stopping along the way to enjoy our country and the journey to my destination!!!

Needless to say, one of my brothers drove my truck and now is hooked on RAM19!!!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep, a tonneau and the Hellwig should be in my near future... hopefully. What was your installed HW price? (At 64 I’m not into wrenching much anymore).

kittyjo

Reaction score
Glad to hear my average long trips are 800 miles and can’t wait to take it cross country

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Yep, a tonneau and the Hellwig should be in my near future... hopefully. What was your installed HW price? (At 64 I’m not into wrenching much anymore).
Looks like Amazon has it the cheapest at $225ish. I installed it myself even with my bad back. Just waited on one of my "good days" with my back and got under there.

I would think $50-$75 for install, if it is a place you frequent and trust. It should take under an hour with test drive with experienced person installing. Maybe get 3 quotes to find the priceline in your area. Some try to rip off people, you know this already so be diligent!!!

ez.allgood

Reaction score
I just finished up a 4,400 mile round trip from TN to WY (Tetons/Yellowstone). This was by far my most comfortable ride cross-country in any vehicle I've traveled in. Also, fully loaded down with camp, food for a week and bikes, averaged 19.7mpg with a 22mpg max! Pretty happy with those numbers.

20200703_093214.jpg 20200703_094135.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread