5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross country car towing with a leveling kit

mochodude4

Reaction score
Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before. Also, forewarning I have a very surface level understanding of vehicle mechanics and even less when it comes to towing.

I will be moving at the end of June and I'll be towing a car from Idaho to Ohio. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn 3.6L V6 Crew Cab 4x4 6' 4" bed with a 2.5" front end leveling kit. I'll be towing a 2022 Hyundai Elantra SEL with a UHaul Vehicle Trailer. The Trailer's empty weight is 2,210 lbs and the curb weight of the vehicle is 2,700 lbs. With the leveling kit I installed, the front sits about 1/2" higher than the back. (hard to tell unless you stare at it).

I have towed a motorcycle on a UHaul motorcycle trailer before and it lowered the back end of the truck maybe half an inch making the truck look like its squatting a little. Nothing drastic but can definitely tell. Obviously that is way lighter than towing a trailer with a car on it and I know my truck is going to squat a lot more. This concerns me for potential safety issues while driving. My solution to fix this is I have ordered the MotoFab 2-Inch Rear Leveling Kit to get it close enough to "factory level". I am going this route rather than removing the front leveling kit because it would be way more expensive for labor while also having to repurchase factory length upper control arms.

I wanted to get opinions on my whole thought process as this will be the heaviest thing I have towed and will also be the farthest I have ever towed. Again, I am very newbie with all of this.

Thanks!

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you like the level stance when empty I would suggest adding air bags instead of spacers in the rear. It will make the truck more stable when towing if you increase the air pressure in the bags and won't affect the level stance when empty if you lower the pressure in the bags. You should increase the rear tire pressure as well..

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before. Also, forewarning I have a very surface level understanding of vehicle mechanics and even less when it comes to towing.

I will be moving at the end of June and I'll be towing a car from Idaho to Ohio. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn 3.6L V6 Crew Cab 4x4 6' 4" bed with a 2.5" front end leveling kit. I'll be towing a 2022 Hyundai Elantra SEL with a UHaul Vehicle Trailer. The Trailer's empty weight is 2,210 lbs and the curb weight of the vehicle is 2,700 lbs. With the leveling kit I installed, the front sits about 1/2" higher than the back. (hard to tell unless you stare at it).

I have towed a motorcycle on a UHaul motorcycle trailer before and it lowered the back end of the truck maybe half an inch making the truck look like its squatting a little. Nothing drastic but can definitely tell. Obviously that is way lighter than towing a trailer with a car on it and I know my truck is going to squat a lot more. This concerns me for potential safety issues while driving. My solution to fix this is I have ordered the MotoFab 2-Inch Rear Leveling Kit to get it close enough to "factory level". I am going this route rather than removing the front leveling kit because it would be way more expensive for labor while also having to repurchase factory length upper control arms.

I wanted to get opinions on my whole thought process as this will be the heaviest thing I have towed and will also be the farthest I have ever towed. Again, I am very newbie with all of this.

Thanks!
Did you end up installing the rear Motofab kit? I’m curious to see a truck with the front and rear installed. I have the kit, but haven’t installed it yet, so I’m looking for pics

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rear spacers will work and ride fine. If you go taller than 1.5 inches (which I recommend) longer shocks will be required also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread