5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Critique my level(ish) plans

KIBarrister

Reaction score
2021 Ram Laramie w/OUT ORP.

Initial thought was just level. bigger tires on stock rims and call it a day.

Wrinkle 1: I do tow, not all the time, but enough that it matters - including my 42hp tractor w/ backhoe that pretty well and maxes out towing capacity

Started thinking about upgrading suspension all around...

Wrinkle 2: I measure fender height and side to side is off by as much as an inch, front to rear is off by a little less than 2" (1 3/4 driver, 1 7/8 passenger)

Starting to think that with 60k miles on it, maybe new suspension all the way around is a good idea (its a truck, and while I may have an office job, my hobbies are pretty redneck - my truck is used well). Or is this a sign of bigger problems.

So, I'm thinking
-2" up front with the Bilstein 6112 kit
-1 inch in the back with Bilstein B12 and 5100 monotube

Question, do I need UCA? My wife is pissed that my new tires have already ballooned to at least 2x just tire cost, so I can't justify Icon. Looking at Zone Offroad D2301, or Rough Country... But, the 31402 is specifically for 3-3.5" of lift (I will have 2), and 31902 (which some sites say won't even fit 5th gen) is listed at OE, so I don't know that it will even help much. (And, to be fair, Zone very specifically says either NO lift, or 6" - and specifically says NO middle ground of 4") I reached out to Rough Country but haven't gotten an answer, and the only place I've gotten any answer (Amazon of all places) says "yeah sure" to 31402, but I can't get a clarity if the "yeah sure" is to Rebel or ORP (which a 2" level is equal to a 3" lift from pure factory).

Question on tires. I've managed to wrangle 60k out of the stock tires (miserably so, they are useless off road). I am torn between Falken Wild Peaks, Toyo Open Country, and Cooper Discoverer (all AT varieties), and also considered the Nitto Recon and Ridge. I want a tire that can handle mud, sand, and gravel - without compromising too much on road noise, and I do care about tread ware (yes, I also want them to look good... I know, I want a unicorn).

With the above lift/level I am thinking 285/60R20. Stock wheels, no offense to those that like after market rims, but they aren't my thing. I know that limits width with the UCA. I thought about 295, but if I stick to 33.5/34 inch in height, the weight at 295 is going to start really eating fuel economy.

Mind you, all of this while my wife is nipping at me to just get 275/60r20 which will fit with the stock suspension and stop being a child...
(I am throwing her a bone and looking to get running boards, RB20 or Dominator D6 - though I found some old school Go Rhino 4000 series for a steal, with the 1980's Jeep CJ vibe).

So, what am I missing? I rack up 25-28k miles per year, mostly highway and I have a job that forces me to wear a suit every other day. But I have a farm, I hunt (a lot), and I haul sh!t either in the bed or towing all. the. time. Help me make my unicorn?

(and stop me from agreeing with my wife, because this truck even in it's relatively neutered state is awesome. Hemi power, and despite driving like I stole it, I've got 60k on original tires and brakes)

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My opinion.
I haul and tow heavy farm stuff all the time also.
Since you are doing the same, add 275/60R20 to get a little more side wall, no level / lift and buy farm, hunting, shooting stuff with the money you were going to waste, and have a truck that will haul and tow heavy stuff better.

Last edited:

KIBarrister

Reaction score
My opinion.
I haul and tow heavy farm stuff all the time also.
Since you are doing the same, add 275/60R20 to get a little more side wall, no level / lift and buy farm, hunting, shooting stuff with the money you were going to waste, and have a truck that will haul and tow heavy stuff better.
Given the variance in height side to side (which is noticeable - not ungainly, but noticeable) I'm thinking I probably need new springs anyway. Looking at tire ratings more, I'm starting to lean to 275/65-20's. But that leads to the next question of whether I should opt for E load rating, because there are actually a couple of non-E rated tires in that size on my short list. Someone suggested that with the loads and towing E rated might be a good idea, but I know it is going to do more damage to ride quality and mileage. Good grief, this is like trying to pick out an AR-15 trigger - too many bloody options.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AR Trigger. I personally like the Geissele 2 stage (GS2) trigger. Not adjustable, but I like the 2 stage and pull weight, and not too expensive. Very good and reliable.

Tires. I am going to upgrade to E rated when needed. Better for towing, but mainly because they are a tougher tire for rutted, rocky farm roads. These trucks are soft, I’m not worried about ride or ding to mileage.

Variance in side height. I would consider a spring spacer like the motofab. Keep same ride with current springs and shocks without added expense.

KIBarrister

Reaction score
AR Trigger. I personally like the Geissele 2 stage (GS2) trigger. Not adjustable, but I like the 2 stage and pull weight, and not too expensive. Very good and reliable.

Tires. I am going to upgrade to E rated when needed. Better for towing, but mainly because they are a tougher tire for rutted, rocky farm roads. These trucks are soft, I’m not worried about ride or ding to mileage.

Variance in side height. I would consider a spring spacer like the motofab. Keep same ride with current springs and shocks without added expense.
No I mean I've got a lean with the stock suspension. Side to side on the rear is off by 1.5 inches. That is why I am looking at upgrading the suspension components rather than a puck lift and UCA (the front is the same - but about 3/4"). I think my stock springs are worn out. 60k miles seems a little early, but with all the towing and hauling I do, and the crap backroads I drive on...

KIBarrister

Reaction score
oh, and Geissele SSA-E and SD3 are my general go-to depending on application (outside of HK91/3/4 I don't like cassette triggers, but I'll throw a Timney in those every time I get one - swapping my -91 to a Timney made it a vastly superior experience)

KIBarrister

Reaction score
Here is where I am at right now for parts. I can't believe it, but Amazon is cheaper than literally everywhere else (AT, Summit, shocksurplus, tire rack, and piecing it on eBay). I just need to figure out the UCA (kind of looking at skyjacker. Icon delta, which I want, will put me over 4k and I think that will be the straw on the camel's back with the mrs. I had some other folks suggest that RC was only barely better than Zone and Zone is bottom of barrel) - unless folks are telling me I'm way off the mark?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 1.05.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 1.05.03 PM.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 40

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh OK.
If you replace the springs and shocks, please let us know if it also levels it up side to side.
Most are not level side to side when new, however not as much as yours.

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I
oh, and Geissele SSA-E and SD3 are my general go-to depending on application (outside of HK91/3/4 I don't like cassette triggers, but I'll throw a Timney in those every time I get one - swapping my -91 to a Timney made it a vastly superior experience)
I have used some drop in Timneys for bolt guns that I have liked also.

KIBarrister

Reaction score
Stuck with my suspension plans as stated above (bilstein 6112 up front, 5100 in the rear) and Cooper at3 in 275/65r20. Added the skyjacker UCA (I saw a cut away comparison on the delta joint and decided the marketing department wasn't worth the cost). And swapped the timbren bags for airlift air bags.

I couldn't stomach the >1k price for a wall mount compressor, but did pay for a branded SPC version, which seemed like a nice compromise. Now, if I can get the kids' activity schedule to give me time to get this done!

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
Stuck with my suspension plans as stated above (bilstein 6112 up front, 5100 in the rear) and Cooper at3 in 275/65r20. Added the skyjacker UCA (I saw a cut away comparison on the delta joint and decided the marketing department wasn't worth the cost). And swapped the timbren bags for airlift air bags.

I couldn't stomach the >1k price for a wall mount compressor, but did pay for a branded SPC version, which seemed like a nice compromise. Now, if I can get the kids' activity schedule to give me time to get this done!
So did you get it all installed by now, how much did it kill your mpg's and ride quality? What was the total lift you also got with that setup?

Users who are viewing this thread