5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creaking Sound on 2021 Limited

HAL9001

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 2021 1500 Limited. I immediately noticed a loud creaking sound at low speeds (10-25mph) whenever I accelerate, deaccelerate, or brake. The sound is definitely coming from the rear. It sounds more like a 20-year-old vehicle rather than a brand new one.

I suspect it's something in the suspension whenever the truck rocks forward or back during light acceleration or deacceleration/braking. However, the really odd thing is that after deacceleration or braking, the noise will often continue for hundreds of feet more while only coasting. That concerns me because that might indicate that it may be something other than the suspension and maybe the creaking sound is actually some sort of clicking in the brake system or differential. I really have no clue as I've never had anything like this happen on a brand-new vehicle before.

Has anyone encountered or heard of this before? It's a Limited, so it does have the air suspension, if that's a factor.

I'll be taking it back to the dealer soon, but they've already told me they don't know what it is. I'm hoping someone here knows what's causing it.

Bigtone

Reaction score
I had the same exact issue with my 2019 a few months after I bought it. The rear control arm bolts were loose. Dealer had to replace the control arms also because the holes enlarged from driving with them loose. The dealer told me they had seen that problem a few times. I would open a Ram Cares issue like I did. I felt it was totally unsat that a new vehicle gets sold with loose suspension bolts.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I had the same exact issue with my 2019 a few months after I bought it. The rear control arm bolts were loose. Dealer had to replace the control arms also because the holes enlarged from driving with them loose. The dealer told me they had seen that problem a few times. I would open a Ram Cares issue like I did. I felt it was totally unsat that a new vehicle gets sold with loose suspension bolts.
This sounded like the right answer to me, so I went right out to my garage to see if any rear control arm bolts were loose. I didn't check the actual torque, but they all appear to be quite tight. I was really hoping that this was the issue.

Bigtone

Reaction score
i found it by rocking the truck back and forth from underneath. I could see the control arm walking in relation to the drop down bracket. Those bolts are big, the torque spec would be quite high. When I found them loose I tightened them myself pretty tight.

HAL9001

Reaction score
i found it by rocking the truck back and forth from underneath. I could see the control arm walking in relation to the drop down bracket. Those bolts are big, the torque spec would be quite high. When I found them loose I tightened them myself pretty tight.
I've tried rocking it back and forth and jumping up and down on the rear bumper, but I can't move the suspension enough to replicate the sound in the garage.

I used my largest and longest Craftsman 3/4" socket wrench to try to tighten the bolts, but none would budge. Still, the torque would be very high as you say and they may still be loose.

Bigtone

Reaction score
Mine were so loose that pushing the truck forward and back while it was in park was enough to see movement of the control arms in the front brackets. If changing direction causes the noise, I would still look in that area.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Curious on your findings when you figure it out. Pls post back once you have an answer.
The dealer found the problem. The attachment bolts to the driveshaft were loose from the factory. The dealer properly torqued them and now the problem is 100% resolved. It also resolved several other problems I was experiencing which I thought were unrelated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread