5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creaking noise in steering column 2019 Ram Limited 23k miles

William1034

Reaction score
Taking my truck tomorrow. They said they need to keep it for 24-48 hours for diagnosis, they submit to get warrant approval, finally they will fix it. Is this standard for RAM or just my dealer?

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Taking my truck tomorrow. They said they need to keep it for 24-48 hours for diagnosis, they submit to get warrant approval, finally they will fix it. Is this standard for RAM or just my dealer?
I generally make an appointment and tell them my problem, they diagnose within 30-60 mins while I wait, then set up repair appointment. This was for AC TSB, lifter noise (they said no it’s injectors in two minutes), and hood paint warranty.

I have a laundry list I am creating for when they have it for AC repair so they can have adequate time to diagnose though.

if you can replicate it in front of them in five minutes I do not think they need 24-48 hours.
But I’m sassy.

William1034

Reaction score
Took my truck in last night and just got the call back. They identified the issue as the clock spring, the part is on back order for 45+ days. They did lube the current spring to hopefully get rid of the creaking. Ugh, I have to drive from Austin to Little Rock for the holidays, guess I have to keep the stereo cranked up or I will go f*cking insane. I cannot stand rattles.

William1034

Reaction score
Took my truck in last night and just got the call back. They identified the issue as the clock spring, the part is on back order for 45+ days. They did lube the current spring to hopefully get rid of the creaking. Ugh, I have to drive from Austin to Little Rock for the holidays, guess I have to keep the stereo cranked up or I will go f*cking insane. I cannot stand rattles.
The creaking actually got a little worse. Good thing I’m a metal head and the music will drown it out.

21LTD

Reaction score
Mine went in yesterday for a repair on this issue. The noise is gone. (y)

Per the work order, they replaced:

68254102AB "Column-Steering" - appears to be the bulk of the interior portion of the steering column (1 in diagram)
68275003AD "Bearing-Steering" - possibly the bearing that rests in the firewall (6 in diagram)

Work took a few hours, in and out same day at Uptown Ram in Dallas. The column was in-stock, the bearing took a few days to arrive once they ordered it.

My guess is that the steering column assembly also contains the clock spring, but I can't tell from the diagram.

Hope this is helpful for those that are waiting on parts / repairs.

65ff03a20429fc82c310c1164b626917.png

josh_4184

Reaction score
I have an appointment for Monday Jan 4th to have it looked at, hopefully they can identify and repair fairly quickly assuming parts are available.

ICT_RAM

Reaction score
I have had this issue for two years now and yesterday the installed anti squeak tape....needless to say it did not fix the issue. I will recommend the parts listed above and see what they say.

William1034

Reaction score
Just had the creak fixed in my car. They replaced the clock spring and a bearing in the firewall. Attachment shows details. 49953220-142D-45EA-AA02-BDC1D007DD4D.jpeg

josh_4184

Reaction score
I have an appointment for Monday Jan 4th to have it looked at, hopefully they can identify and repair fairly quickly assuming parts are available.
Noise is finally gone, the clock spring did fix the issue, didn't do anything else according to the work order. Either way I am happy now it was getting worse and worse by the day. Hopefully it lasts. I also had them fix an issue I was having with my dash stating my trailer was disconnected, only issue was I never had a trailer connected to my truck lol. 😆 Was very annoying would come on and off daily. Ended up being a problem with the 7 pin plug and harness had to be replaced as it was cracked and corroded. Its nice driving my truck without any noises again hopefully it lasts a while was getting irritated thought about trading in my lease early as I can get out of it wihtout any negative equity since the used trucks are worth so much now.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They did something to my clock spring but didn’t replace it. The noise is less noticeable but still there so I will be going back in for it.

josh_4184

Reaction score
They did a full replacement took about 3 weeks to get the part as its in high demand for some reason :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: It did fix the issue entirely.

Tim Slusser

Reaction score
I just sprayed lubricant on my steering shaft while moving steering wheel back and forth. Noise stopped when it ran down the shaft to the rubber grommet at the bottom of the shaft.

Papa Red

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I hope by now it's fixed and quiet. Nothing bothers me more than squeaks and rattles in a truck.

Red

UncleRAM

Reaction score
I just read about stuffing a sock in the steering column to stop a creaking noise when turning steering wheel. Not sure where to stuff the sock. Any help appreciated. Ram Dealer hasn’t a clue . No recall on a issue of noise in steering column
my 2021 RAM 1500 DT Sport trim edition Crew Cab is doing the same thing and also the dealership has mentioned get this "its normal" ..well looking at all your replies i truly believe its not normal :) .. it wasn't a deal breaker but still a different answer would've been nice ..
i think it has to do with the "clock gear" not sure if that's how you say it but my closest RAM dealership did say about that.

Users who are viewing this thread