5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Rattle at 14K Miles

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have already had so many issues with my truck including needing a new transmission at only 200 miles. With that being said a new random noise/rattle just started two weeks ago. It only happens at a low RPM in higher gears while the engine is under load. It almost sounds like someone is ringing a bell from underneath the front of the truck.

I dropped it off at the dealer the other day and they said they couldn't replicate the noise so I drove back the next morning, took the technician for a ride and was able to show him what was going on. Well they couldn't find anything when they had it up on the lift- they were looking for something that was loose.

Yesterday I was back on the farm and go it to a spot where I needed to put into 4x4....and what do you know the noise stopped. I actually cant make the noise happen while in 4H or Auto but as soon as I put it back into 2WD it starts again.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be?? What could be loose that would make a noise while in 2WD?

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Mine has started doing the same thing... it’s going in for a service next week.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been doing some research and think it might possibly be the flexplate. I just found a video that mimics the noise I have but cant figure out why it goes away in 4WD? Please keep me posted.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been doing some research and think it might possibly be the flexplate. I just found a video that mimics the noise I have but cant figure out why it goes away in 4WD? Please keep me posted.

How about a loose vane in the torque converter.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038318 miles.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How about a loose vane in the torque converter.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038318 miles.
I used my Go Pro to make a video today...thoughts?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used my Go Pro to make a video today...thoughts?

Since this noise is only evident in 2WD mode, I doubt it's a torque converter problem. I would also think it rules out the flex plate as well. This sort of leaves the transfer case as a possibility. But the noise to my ear sounds like something light metal. This is a case for the remote microphones, which the dealer should have.

This may be a tough one.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038354 miles.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since this noise is only evident in 2WD mode, I doubt it's a torque converter problem. I would also think it rules out the flex plate as well. This sort of leaves the transfer case as a possibility. But the noise to my ear sounds like something light metal. This is a case for the remote microphones, which the dealer should have.

This may be a tough one.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038354 miles.
Transfer Case a definite possibility. Thanks

I just created a case with Ram Cares as well. They've been helpful in the past.

TXECOD

Reaction score
My 2020 EcoDiesel has been making that same exact sound since it was about a week old. Gets worse under load in higher gears, and really bad when towing. I work at a dealer and have had them looking for it for almost a year and they cant figure it out. Please let me know if you guys find anything.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been running mine in 4w auto.....for some reason the noise stops when I do so.

TXECOD

Reaction score
I tried the 4wd auto on my way home from work today and sure enough, the noise goes away as soon the the 4wd auto engages. I’m Going to have my tech look at my truck again when I get to work tomorrow and see if he can isolate the noise to somewhere in the transfer case

Reaction score
I tried the 4wd auto on my way home from work today and sure enough, the noise goes away as soon the the 4wd auto engages. I’m Going to have my tech look at my truck again when I get to work tomorrow and see if he can isolate the noise to somewhere in the transfer case
Keep us updated please this noise is driving me nuts haha

DTN

Reaction score
I had a crazy rattle that started one day. It was louder for the first minute or so after I started the cold engine and then went away. The next time I started the engine cold it started again so I walked around the truck and found it was loudest near the rear bumper. I looked under the bumper and realized it was coming from one of my tailpipes. Then I found a few small rocks in my tailpipe. I had taken my dump trailer to the county landfill recently and apparently a few small rocks got inside. Now no more noise.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me know if you find anything out...I've given up since I've sort of found a fix for it but would love to be able to isolate the problem....especially if your rattle noise sounds like mine does.

TXECOD

Reaction score
Let me know if you find anything out...I've given up since I've sort of found a fix for it but would love to be able to isolate the problem....especially if your rattle noise sounds like mine does.
I watched and listened to your go pro video. Its the exact same noise. No doubt about it. My tech is looking at it now. As far as parts that could be replaced go, there is only the transfer case position sensor, the damper, and the transfer case gear motor. Everything else is inside the transfer case.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I watched and listened to your go pro video. Its the exact same noise. No doubt about it. My tech is looking at it now. As far as parts that could be replaced go, there is only the transfer case position sensor, the damper, and the transfer case gear motor. Everything else is inside the transfer case.
I hope it’s good news. Let me know what you find out

TXECOD

Reaction score
I hope it’s good news. Let me know what you find out
I ordered the gear motor and the sensor for tomorrow. We are going to see if that changes anything. The next step will be to pull the case and open it up. I'm tired of getting looks from people like "what kind of POS is that" when I drive by in my $60k truck.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered the gear motor and the sensor for tomorrow. We are going to see if that changes anything. The next step will be to pull the case and open it up. I'm tired of getting looks from people like "what kind of POS is that" when I drive by in my $60k truck.
Tell me about it plus I put another $15,000 in my truck after buying it. I really hope that you’re able to figure out what the issue is. My truck needs a new rear window and will be going in next week so hopefully you know what it is exactly by then so I can try to fix my truck. Thanks

TXECOD

Reaction score
Tell me about it plus I put another $15,000 in my truck after buying it. I really hope that you’re able to figure out what the issue is. My truck needs a new rear window and will be going in next week so hopefully you know what it is exactly by then so I can try to fix my truck. Thanks
I feel your pain on the extra money invested................

Attachments

• ttt LH side frt orII house.jpg
    ttt LH side frt orII house.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 19
  • ttt RH side FRT ORII house.jpg
    ttt RH side FRT ORII house.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread