5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy idea, best of both worlds? 5'7" bed swap to custom 6'4" flatbed...

MacFly

Reaction score
So, I had a (probably silly) question... Can someone who desperately wants a longer bed but is forced to get the factory 5'7" do a swap to a longer custom flatbed? It would be amazing to get the tighter turn radius and still have a much more useful bed length. Is this a crazy idea? I don't know much about vehicle mechanics, but I do have some cousins with a badass machine shop who I imagine could easily build me something like this. Plus, I'm pretty handy myself coming from a construction/welding background, I just don't have a TiG welder at the moment. I've heard there are things like hitch extenders for towing, which I think I'll likely be doing a fair bit of. And I can't imagine loading anything so heavy in that extra 9" or so off the back that it would lift the front end... The dealer brought those issues up, but said that swapping to a flatbed in general wouldn't affect any warranties. But like I said, I don't know that much about trucks and their physics yet, so any advice why this might be a good or bad idea is greatly appreciated. I'm currently a Tacoma owner, but I just need... more. So, I've got myself pretty well talked into jumping ship, but I wanted to see how firm I need to be about the bed being 6'4". I have to give up on some other very important options like ED and such to get a longer bed and crew body.

Mtsabo

Reaction score
Im sure its possible. Id never do that. With how much youd have into it just get a cummins. Crew cab 6'4" trucks are then common. And turn radius is not really that different.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you're planning to add a custom flatbed, you might consider the 3500 chassis cab. You save a little money because you aren't paying for a pickup bed. Just throwing that out there.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You might want to get a ram 5500; they are "chassis cab only" trucks, you add your own bed. They also can come with wide track front axles which improve turning radius signifcantly, though I don't know how they compare to 1500's or tacomas, just that they turn tighter than 25/3500's.

MacFly

Reaction score
Im sure its possible. Id never do that. With how much youd have into it just get a cummins. Crew cab 6'4" trucks are then common. And turn radius is not really that different.
Don't they get worse mileage? I'm searching 3 states to find something close to what I want on a lot, but I just can't seem to find anything close with the longer bed. I don't think I'm doing anything else that could justify going up to a 3500 towing and hauling wise, the fuel economy of the 1500 ED is one of the main reasons I'm going for that platform. I won't always be towing, I see plenty of simple long distance trips as well. It's entirely possible I'll get a 1500 with a 5'7" bed and realize it's fine, but as it stands I usually feel like a 6'4" bed is *barely* long enough to do what I want in my current Tacoma.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Isn't it possible to get alonger bed in the 1500? Maybe you need to order it with double cab instead of crew cab, but quite sure a longer box is available somehow.

MacFly

Reaction score
Isn't it possible to get alonger bed in the 1500? Maybe you need to order it with double cab instead of crew cab, but quite sure a longer box is available somehow.
Oh absolutely it is, I just can't find any existing stock on dealers lots in 3 states that have EVERYTHING I want. Namely EcoDiesel, 3.92 gears, and MUST have crew cab. I can find pretty much everything I want on the short beds, there are none that I can find with the long bed. To get the long bed I have to give up on my other needs and wants. If I have them build what I want, they can only do a 2021 not a 2020, and I'll be stuck paying more/full price. I'm trying to find something on the lots now that they're under pressure to get rid of for new 2021s. So, if I can get around the shorter bed problem by building a custom flatbed with a few extra inches on the back, I could possibly get the best of both worlds. I'm already dreaming up a custom lightweight flatbed camper that I can really kit out for my job as a survival instructor, and if I ever get into SAR or wildland firefighting. The original plan had been to get a 1500 and then buy/build a travel trailer, but there are advantages to something I don't have to tow behind the rig... But that's all it is at the moment, a dream. I have no idea if what I'm thinking is possible, that's why I wanted to know what y'all thought. Kind of under the gun though, I could be pulling the trigger on a new rig inside a week or so...

Mtsabo

Reaction score
2500 cummins will probably get 19 highway. Thats whst my dads 18 gets. They would also be better for a cab over camper.

Pretty sure the bed is gonna be larger then the tacoma even on a 5' 7", its alot wider just wont havr the length.

Ive got thr 6'4" bed crew cab. Coulnt imagine less space for my needs. Ive also got a topper, i always haul stuff i want to keep dry or dust free.

Some guys with the hemi 3.21 are gettinv nearly 24 mpg highway... even my 3.92 gets me 21 highway if i keep it under 72 mph. its pretty much a wash between the deisel and a hemi for total cost of ownership. Hemi is more reliable IMO

Last edited:

MacFly

Reaction score
2500 cummins will probably get 19 highway. Thats whst my dads 18 gets. They would also be better for a cab over camper.

Pretty sure the bed is gonna be larger then the tacoma even on a 5' 7", its alot wider just wont havr the length.

Ive got thr 6'4" bed crew cab. Coulnt imagine less space for my needs. Ive also got a topper, i always haul stuff i want to keep dry or dust free.

Some guys with the hemi 3.21 are gettinv nearly 24 mpg highway... even my 3.92 gets me 21 highway if i keep it under 72 mph. its pretty much a wash between the deisel and a hemi for total cost of ownership. Hemi is more reliable IMO
Yeah, I'm already frustrated enough every time I put a sheet of plywood or other building material in a 6'4" bed and can't close my topper door, I'm thinking that the shorter bed will just **** me off even more. But, I don't know for sure. I figure if I put a longer flatbed on, I can easily build a cheap custom topper or camper of some kind to keep materials/tools/gear dry and secure. Not sure I'm gonna do a cab over. I haul and store a fair bit in the bed for work and need the space. Plus, on the off chance I have to sleep in the truck (without a camper), I can't stretch out in a 5'7" bed unless I unload everything and lay diagonal, so not ideal there either. Getting my Tacoma assessed for trade in at the dealer today, they actually tried to push me into a used 2500 Cummins, but when the saleswoman went to get the keys to show me, she found out it'd already sold. They were still pricing it at 52k though, so it would've been out of my price range anyways.

MacFly

Reaction score
Seems most of you guys have said essentially "not something I would do", but no one has said that it's impossible or listed any reasons why it would be a terrible idea... What would the downsides be, other than cost?

Mtsabo

Reaction score
Seems most of you guys have said essentially "not something I would do", but no one has said that it's impossible or listed any reasons why it would be a terrible idea... What would the downsides be, other than cost?

Nothing sounds cheap or easy to me for fabricating a custom flat bed/topper that looks nice. Id want it to look good personally on a 50k truck. Im no stranger to fabrication either.

Towing with a hitch extender would compound tongue weight on an already limited on payload truck. You would lose your back up camera. Anything else I can think of falls under the just more money category.

MacFly

Reaction score
Nothing sounds cheap or easy to me for fabricating a custom flat bed/topper that looks nice. Id want it to look good personally on a 50k truck. Im no stranger to fabrication either.

Towing with a hitch extender would compound tongue weight on an already limited on payload truck. You would lose your back up camera. Anything else I can think of falls under the just more money category.
I'm pretty sure I could do it for just the cost of materials. But, I don't even have the truck yet, so I better stop putting so many carriages before the horse(power) haha. I'm usually the same way, I want stuff to look good, but I care more about functionality than looks right now. Kinda thinking something "industrial" or "bug-out" like. Ideally I'd get a green or silver truck, but because of my situation I told the dealer I don't care what color, I can always vinyl wrap later. I don't really find the lines on modern trucks all that attractive tbh, I just need something more capable than my Tacoma. I just wanted to know if it was doable, or if I needed to hold out and get one built exactly like I wanted (although no guarantee I wouldn't flatbed mod the 6'4" at this point to give myself something more useful). Either way, I'm gonna end up getting hit in the wallet, either upfront at the dealer if I wait and have one built, or pay later in time and mods if I get one now for cheaper thats "almost" what I want. Decisions decisions.... Having the truck now for my imminent move would be ideal though. I do appreciate everyone's input though.

ClancyO

Reaction score
It’s just 100x easier to get the 6’4” crew from the get go. I insisted on 6’4” initially and it limited my selection. The second time around I found exactly what I wanted - they’re out there. The turning radius on the 5’7” is still massive, the difference to the 6’4” is negligible. It’ll ride, tow, haul, and look better with the appropriate proportions of bed before and after the rear tire. Keep searching, or worst case just order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online