5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crash Test Results - No ETA

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had emailed both the IIHS and NHTSA to see if they have crash test data they will be releasing soon.
Much to my surprise - the IIHS stated they do not have a test date/plan to test the 2019 Ram 1500 and the NHTSA said they are still testing 2018s and have "As of right now we do not know whether or not we will be cash testing the 2019 Dodge Ram 1500. We are still in the process of testing 2018 model year vehicles only as of right now." FCA said to contact NHTSA when I inquired about crash test data on DT.

Due to Ram adding the front crash bars (similar to the F150) and the splayed front frame, we should see marked improvement in the DT over the DS in the front offset crash test rating.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
I had emailed both the IIHS and NHTSA to see if they have crash test data they will be releasing soon.
Much to my surprise - the IIHS stated they do not have a test date/plan to test the 2019 Ram 1500 and the NHTSA said they are still testing 2018s and have "As of right now we do not know whether or not we will be cash testing the 2019 Dodge Ram 1500. We are still in the process of testing 2018 model year vehicles only as of right now." FCA said to contact NHTSA when I inquired about crash test data on DT.

Due to Ram adding the front crash bars (similar to the F150) and the splayed front frame, we should see marked improvement in the DT over the DS in the front offset crash test rating.
A lot of focus went into safety on DT, I would be shocked if it didn't get top marks at this point. Guess we will be waiting awhile to find out the results.

Thanks for posting, this is good info for sure.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
The better safety rating I assume most of us expect out of the DT is probably the least glamorous thing that I’m honestly excited about. I have never been in an accident or anything and never plan to, but it was always a lingering thought in my mind of how “unexceptional “ DS crash ratings are.

Hopefully they come sooner rather than later, especially before 2019 Truck of the Year.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DSOOBY said:
The better safety rating I assume most of us expect out of the DT is probably the least glamorous thing that I’m honestly excited about. I have never been in an accident or anything and never plan to, but it was always a lingering thought in my mind of how “unexceptional “ DS crash ratings are.

Hopefully they come sooner rather than later, especially before 2019 Truck of the Year.
I've never been in a serious wreck, but seeing the crash test results of DS vs F150...I couldn't buy a DS. I'd like to keep my legs if I ever were in a wreck like that! Seeing as how well designed the truck is and the frame at the auto shows - I'm confident it'll do well. FCA has too much riding on the truck to do otherwise.
VoiceOfReason said:
Interesting . . .I know some peeps. I'll have to inquire.
Thanks! I've already got mine on order and money down - would really just like to see results. I'm sure FCA has crashed them for their own internal use.

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
A lot of focus went into safety on DT, I would be shocked if it didn't get top marks at this point. Guess we will be waiting awhile to find out the results.

Thanks for posting, this is good info for sure.
I think - therefore I am (not) - The reason is they can't seem to find any "reliable" Crash Test Dummies . . . any volunteers ? OUCH !

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
The DT HAS been crash tested internally, that is a requirement if I recall.NHTSA and IIHS have NOT tested it. They don't crash test every model of every brand, they just do the occasional spot check and publish their findings.As far as where to get the DT crash results . . . no idea, not even sure if they are publicly available.

D

Deleted member 85

This information needs to come out... there are consumers where safety is their priority.

D

Deleted member103

BobbiBigWheels said:
This information needs to come out... there are consumers where safety is their priority.
Gr they could get just about Any 4 door Passenger CAR or smaller SUV and - all accidents/vehicles being NOT equal - walk away from it in a DT or wind up in the hospital with the others ! Chances are highly likely & anticipated that the DT IS gonna fair better than Gen4; which wasn't 1/2 bad ! ! !
1f60e.png

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The small overlap test is a relatively new test that most vehicles did not do well in early on. Manufacturers have been reengineering the vehicles to meet the test standards as redesigns come up . The F150 just happened to be the first truck redesign with the crash taken into account. Ram and I'm sure the GM trucks will do well in the test with the new models. Ford actually got called out because they only had the cab blockers on the crew cab but not the extended or regular cabs, they fixed it the next model year.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And that's why I think DT will do well.. proof would be nice though!

Users who are viewing this thread