5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crash Test Results Are Out

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I've been waiting months to see just how safe my new truck actually is after all this hype from the Ram engineers and their unique frame design. Looks like their hard work payed off.

IIHS Website- https://m.iihs.org/mobile/ratings/mobileratings/ram/1500-crew-cab-pickup

Ram crash test-

F-150 crash test for comparison-

Silverado crash test for comparison-

I realize the F150 is a 2015 model, they haven't made any changes to the F150 since then, other than the headlights. Pay close attention to how much energy is transfered to the beds and doors of all three trucks, incredible how much more stiff the Ram is compared to the F150 and Silverado. Props to the Ram engineers.

alow

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Notice the A pillar deformation in the SIlverado. You're going to get seriously screwed up internally when that happens and it looks like your eating the dash and steering wheel as well. Talk to anyone you know in the medical or response field if you dont believe me. The fords cab stays more rigid but looks like your still eating dash and theres a ton of energy whipping the rear to the principle direction of force. I'm glad I'm in my RAM. If you didnt know it was a lab you'd almost think they were different speeds.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw the report when it came out but seeing those back to back is really eye opening. The Ford looks absolutely awful. The passenger really takes a beating in the Ford. The energy that goes into the bed and then smashed back into the cab cannot be good. Glad the Ram engineers did some homework.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really good comparison to watch it back to back. F150 was safest for a while.

Glad to see Ram coming out on top. The last generation Ram was awful and why I had Ford as my last two.

That being said - keep in mind in the Ford the cab would start smoldering and catch on fire from the seatbelt pretensioner.... hope you can unbuckle and get out.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Dang, both Ford and Chevy dummies were retired after that. The engineers at Ram is why I went the Ram way.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
That Chevy is awful. After seeing the cab deformation, I can't imagine the driver getting out of that without major injuries.

The Ford looked a bit better, but man, seeing the opposite side of the truck whip back and forth is discomforting.

Ram definitely looked the best. I'd be interested in seeing a 2019 GM truck in the test, see if it's any less horrific.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To see the great strides Ram made...here is the 2015.

api-rating-image.ashx

And the 2019 still photos...
api-rating-image.ashx

api-rating-image.ashx

When I've purchased my last few full size trucks....my focus has been on the lower leg in these crash tests. That Ram your not walking away.

Here's the Ford.
api-rating-image.ashx

and the GM....
api-rating-image.ashx

api-rating-image.ashx

Jordan2929

Reaction score
The ram doesn’t even look like it was crashed from that interior picture...... the Chevy is a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread