5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked Windshield From Golf Ball

U

User_3336

Well, this made my day! :-( Obviously, some golfer has a pretty pi** poor shot (doesn't even need to be in the course). Came out today at 6pm, and found
my windshield cracked to shi* !!!
Went to see a relative in the nursing home, which sits adjacent to a golf course (the first hole). I can't tell if this was a direct hit.. If so, a very poor shot across the road, or if the golf ball went up in the trees, and fell directly on the windshield. Pretty pis*ed!!!!
Ball was still there. OOPSIE????
So guess neither the nursing home or golf course is going to accept any lliability. There are NO nets to stop this from happening. I'm sure its happened before.
We've been standing on the edge of the parking lot, and almost got hit, or told to move.

I really don't want a SafeLite replacement which Geico will cover.. Heard they are much thinner than OE glass. Geico won't pay for OEM glass, so what's even the use of submitting it?

Who wants a replacement windshield on a brand new truck not OEM? this sucks!

Golf ball did not stay where it landed, just put it back there for reference.

golf3.jpg golf4.jpg golf2.jpg

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
Brutal! You may be surprised, as the golf course should carry insurance specifically for that reason. I’ve seen that happen many times on our baseball fields and our local park district has always footed the bill.

U

User_3336

The golf course being so close to a nursing home facility, you would think they would have installed at least some nets along the perimeter..

Probably out of the pocket. Golf course claiming no fault due to a golfer, and nursing home claiming no responsibility.....
Knew this would happen eventually, and sure its not the 1st time.

Can't even enjoy a new truck one month without a catastrophe.

Klute

Reaction score
Golfer and/or golf course responsibility has been long disputed. Golf courses usually have signs or verbiage on the scorecard that says the golfer is responsible for all damage. Any damage by a golfer should be covered by the golfer's homeowner/renter's insurance but good luck finding the golfer. It is usually a state by state thing. Some states the golfer is not responsible. Which came first, the golf course or the adjacent houses, parking lots or nursing home? If the property was built after the course then the owner accepts responsibility of building on/near a known hazard.

Sorry this happened to you.

U

User_3336

Neither the golf course, nor the nursing home assumed any liability. Park in the lot at your own risk here. So now I just park at the rec center and just walk down a small hill to the nursing home.
Wonder who will be the next unlucky culprit.

Replacement is being done by Safelite for the deductible. Dealer wanted $963 + 140 in labor (for OEM glass).

Can't get a direct answer on whether safelite is using OEM glass or not. Their part # looks slightly weird (not a mopar part #).

States DW02458 GTYOEM - - - - ELECTROCHROMIC MIRROR~SOLAR~RAM'S HEAD LOGO

So, I'm thinking YES, OEM because it states Ram's Head Logo.

If not, I'll just reject it.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greg, I've had two previous vehicle windshields replaced by Safelight and had zero issues (even with the tech of rain sense and auto high beams attached to the windshield). I wouldn't worry about it and let them replace it with the windshield you mentioned. My last windshield on a Cadillac Escalade that they replaced even came with a nice upper tint that was better than the OEM tint I had before.

FirstimeRAM

Reaction score
what did you wind up paying at safelite? f@cking dump truck broke mine this morning!!

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Can't you pay the difference between what Geico covers and OE glass?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Safelite is using OEM glass and Geico is covering it. Safelite did mine and it was perfect.

U

User_3336

Geico decided to pay for the OEM glass. I just have to pay my deductible. Getting it replaced tomorrow. Took them forever to get an OEM windshield.

U

User_3336

I seen a dump truck pull out on the highway with a huge load of BIG ROCKS piled up so high........Uncovered.

I said "OH HELL NO", i'm not getting behind that!!!

what did you wind up paying at safelite? f@cking dump truck broke mine this morning!!

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
When it’s new, it hurts. We’ve lost two windshields in two years here in northern NM. They use sand on the roads in winter and it’s got a fair amount of rock in it...then we all come from dirt/gravel roads before getting on the highway and all that crud is still in our tire treads. There’s not a day I don’t see a car or truck on the road with blue masking tape holding glass while the sealant cures.

I’ve never owned a vehicle without mud flaps, but I’d estimate that 90+% of cars/trucks here don’t have ‘em. The only solace I can offer is that SafeLite did both of ours and also recalibrated the collision avoidance and other systems impacted and we’ve had no problems post replacement. We actually reach the point where we wish for a crack to force a replacement because our windshields are massively pitted and nicked by all the flying debris. Guess that’s one of the reasons our car insurance went up 75% over what we were paying in Chicago area. The same pitting hits our bumpers & front hood edges. I debated PPF for the Ram, but at the price, I can have the paint repaired (to a point) every couple of years and be ahead (especially since the PPF can be overly damaged by rocks as well).

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From a glass half full perspective (pun intended), at least it didn't hit a painted surface. New glass gets you back to 100% new condition without bodywork, paint matching, etc.

Not sure, I may have preferred the golf ball hitting the body. A golf ball ding is usually a smooth dent with no paint damage, can get out 100% with PDR for $70 bucks or less.

I feel the windshield replacement is rather invasive, requires the removal of some trim, including the rear view mirror, and could be issues if the area wasn't prepped right and the sealant isn't put on correctly.

Not to scare the OP of course, most installers know what they are doing and get a perfect repair done with no issues.

U

User_3336

there is a "RISK" involved in EVERY automotive repair, whether it be a engine repair, body work, glass replacement, etc etc.......as to whether it will be done right.... but SafeLite should know what they are doing you'd think, and there is a guarantee.

Not sure, I may have preferred the golf ball hitting the body. A golf ball ding is usually a smooth dent with no paint damage, can get out 100% with PDR for $70 bucks or less.

I feel the windshield replacement is rather invasive, requires the removal of some trim, including the rear view mirror, and could be issues if the area wasn't prepped right and the sealant isn't put on correctly.

Not to scare the OP of course, most installers know what they are doing and get a perfect repair done with no issues.

ramhead

Reaction score
Never heard the "replacement windshield might be thinner" thing. Any replacement would have to meet or exceed NHTSA/ANSI safety standards so should not be of much lesser strength or quality of original. Good that you are getting an OEM one though....makes it feel the replacement "belongs there" instead of one of another provider.

BDCarp04

Reaction score
I had a rock chip the very top right corner of my windshield and it made an L shaped crack that runs both off the top of the windshield and off the right side - causing a replacement as well. Unfortunately since it's not in my normal field of vision I didn't even notice it for a while so I have no idea what or when it actually happened, but I've had the truck for less than a month.

Safelite quoted me (without using insurance) - $509 for the non-ram's head logo windshield, and $790 for the logo. I have to assume the second one is OEM.

If you do their online quote they have this question that you need to answer:

Your vehicle came from the factory with the RAM's head logo printed along the bottom corner of the windshield. There is currently a nationwide shortage of this part which may impact our ability to service your vehicle in a timely manner. Would you be interested in a readily available alternative that does NOT have the RAM's head logo along the bottom?

stebo

Reaction score
My windshield took a rock and cracked back in late July. My new OEM replacement just arrived last Friday. Getting it installed tomorrow. Took way longer to get in than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online