5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crack in body - Bad weld?

ClancyO

Reaction score
I’ve searched, couldn’t find this issue posted anywhere else. I’ve also held off on posting this, I wanted to get a feel for how FCA was going to handle this. So far, not well. Servicing dealer has been stellar however..

I’ve been busy, finishing a home-reno, preparing a house for sale and prepping for a move across the country, so the truck was overdue for some love and Saturday morning I had some time so I washed and waxed it. I even noted that I had yet to pick up any door dings and mentally complimented FCA for whatever it is they did to make the truck more resistant to door dings. Just as I’m finishing, running the buffing cloth around shut lines, the rag got hung up in the door frame over the drivers door. Further inspection reveals a crack where the door surround structure meets the roof skin. It took me a moment to even comprehend what I was seeing. Took some pictures, called my dealer, told them I had an odd warranty claim and asked how to start it. They told me to come in so they could look and they would handle it..

When I arrived I was greeted by the service manager and while we were both standing by the open drivers door he asks, “What brings you in today?” I just pointed my flashlight at the crack in the door jamb. “What in the sam hell?!” “Over 20 years doing this, never seen anything like that!” He looks over the rest of the truck, took several pictures and assured me they could and would take care of this.

This morning he calls, fca denied the claim. I get the sense this is common. I call and reopened the case and now I’m waiting to hear back. I have faith that they will fix this. This could not be a more textbook case of a manufacturing defect. Since I didn’t see any other cases do far, I’d even go so far as to say it was a bad/damaged piece of metal and a one-off scenario. But even so you guys might wanna go look..

So, my question to the community. What would YOU expect from FCA in this case?

Attachments

• 815918AD-F220-4B46-B62B-BAAD53B38015.jpeg
    815918AD-F220-4B46-B62B-BAAD53B38015.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 338
  • 7EA7DC43-D198-443F-93AC-626941344034.jpeg
    7EA7DC43-D198-443F-93AC-626941344034.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 342
  • 56E8B595-CB2C-4044-B4E7-B3A3E703F0EF.jpeg
    56E8B595-CB2C-4044-B4E7-B3A3E703F0EF.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 340
  • 0C96FBA0-DEDC-4B23-9568-4F201924E236.jpeg
    0C96FBA0-DEDC-4B23-9568-4F201924E236.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 334
  • CD23C23A-6E22-47E2-A248-7012DE51CEE2.jpeg
    CD23C23A-6E22-47E2-A248-7012DE51CEE2.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 327

ClancyO

Reaction score
FCA has had a change of heart and already approved the repair. Bodyshop quoted 27 hrs of labor, going to remove the bed to get to rear of cab. (Imagine trying time paint that panel without blending and it makes sense).

I plan on keeping this truck 10-15 years, but now I don’t know how much water and crap got into that area. Diminished value? Carfax record? I’m not unreasonable for wanted to be made whole here, right?

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Definately no weld in that area as it's a stamped panel. Most likely a defect in the metal causing it to split when formed, or possibly a damaged press, but then there would be many more in the same condition. That area will have to be mig / gas welded by an experienced tech with attention to detail. The metal is thin, and the edge cannot be built up with fillers as it will protrude above the door. Before welding, a zinc coating needs to be applied on the inside to prevent corrosion (the coating will not burn off during the welding process). Hopefully there is no current corrosion already. If done correctly, the end result will be flawless, so make sure the shop is at least 4/5 star rated.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why the he!! would FCA deny a claim on an obvious structural defect?

Not very confidence inspiring...
I would bet the original communication from the dealer to the FCA regional rep. or engineering was unclear, and/or photographs were not initially supplied with the claim. Sometimes only a phone call and photographs properly convey the problem.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038037 miles.

ClancyO

Reaction score
I didn’t see the pictures on the service advisories phone. He shared them with the dealership owner as well because this was a unique case. I suspect they just deny everything they’ve never seen before first time. I know they reversed course based on the same pictures they had used to deny. The dealer has been awesome so far (not the dealer I bought it from either)!

I’m guessing I’m going to let them fix it, and immediately trade it in. Idk, quite upset with the whole mess. Wife wants it to go away. If I replace it, it’ll likely be the same truck pretty much. It only has 11,000 miles and is otherwise pristine..

ALSO happen to be dealing with a warranty issue with Haulmark trailers. My 2 month old car hauler has rust where there shouldn’t be any rust.. So far Chrysler has been more responsive.

STR

Reaction score
I’ve never seen that before, and it’s certainly not an easy fix. Good luck getting the issue resolved to your satisfaction.

ClancyO

Reaction score
Once you know what your looking for, you can see it from outside. Looking down the length of the body, you see a bubble.

Pretty sure my truck has a May 2018 build date.

Oh and what Big White Ram said is correct - no weld, just stamped. The roof weld will be under the black time above this panel.. so stamping or metallurgy issue.

nburd

Reaction score
Yes, I just confirmed as well on the parts diagrams. It was a a bad stamping of the side panel. It is unfortunate but at least they are handling it. I am sure it will be better than new soon. Make sure you get a new TRX as a rental for the time it's in the shop.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t see the pictures on the service advisories phone. He shared them with the dealership owner as well because this was a unique case. I suspect they just deny everything they’ve never seen before first time. I know they reversed course based on the same pictures they had used to deny. The dealer has been awesome so far (not the dealer I bought it from either)!

I’m guessing I’m going to let them fix it, and immediately trade it in. Idk, quite upset with the whole mess. Wife wants it to go away. If I replace it, it’ll likely be the same truck pretty much. It only has 11,000 miles and is otherwise pristine..

ALSO happen to be dealing with a warranty issue with Haulmark trailers. My 2 month old car hauler has rust where there shouldn’t be any rust.. So far Chrysler has been more responsive.
Don't trade it in, lemon law the damn thing and make them give you a not broken, repainted technically unfixable truck. Tradeing it is the WORST thing you can do and the best thing for them as they can dump it on some poor unsupecting soul later. Lemon Law it and it'll be branded as such and future buyers will be warned.

I guarantee you it will take more than 30 days to repair it, and multiple trips. Just get your warranty book out now, flip to the end, send the notice of defect you state requires and let it go.

STR

Reaction score
^^^ Lemon Law is not always the answer, and varies from state-to-state, but “generally” it states that manufacturer must correct any flaw that occurs under any of the following conditions:

- Within 1 year of the vehicle ownership.
- Before the vehicle hits 12,000 miles.
- While warranty is still valid.

By definition, the defect must be something so substantial that it either:

- Significantly decreases the resale value.
- Makes the vehicle unsafe to drive and likely to cause a serious injury or death.
- Impacts the normal functions of the vehicle.

Timeframe and visits differs.

“If” the dealership fixes the problem, and perhaps offers a loaner, winning a Lemon Law case will be very difficult.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ Lemon Law is not always the answer, and varies from state-to-state, but “generally” it states that manufacturer must correct any flaw that occurs under any of the following conditions:

- Within 1 year of the vehicle ownership.
- Before the vehicle hits 12,000 miles.
- While warranty is still valid.

By definition, the defect must be something so substantial that it either:

- Significantly decreases the resale value.
- Makes the vehicle unsafe to drive and likely to cause a serious injury or death.

Timeframe and visits differs.

“If” the dealership fixes the problem, and perhaps offers a loaner, winning a Lemon Law case will be very difficult.
It's a structural failure that needs ~30+ hours of labor welding and repainting. the repainting alone is a slam dunk lemon law case. You can never ever get factory paint or corrosion back.

There's a very good chance an insurance adjuster would total this truck.

STR

Reaction score
It's a structural failure that needs ~30+ hours of labor welding and repainting. the repainting alone is a slam dunk lemon law case. You can never ever get factory paint or corrosion back.

There's a very good chance an insurance adjuster would total this truck.

No, more like a 3 pointer attempt... from center court... blind folded. Better chance of it being totaled, but that has nothing to do w/the Lemon Law.
96C2E3AD-6E85-4400-9167-B67C00367F41.gif

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, more like a 3 pointer attempt... from center court... blind folded. Better chance of it being totaled, but that has nothing to do w/the Lemon Law.
It does as it proves the truck is permanently damaged and has a loss of value and questionable future durability. Having a 3rd party adjuster suggest totaling the truck means you have a easy lemon law case. It;s also RIGHT in the area the frame and cab take the brunt during a collision. I'd also argue the safety of the vehicle is permanently compromised.

ClancyO

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I did get a call from Ram Cares yesterday. Of course it was related to the case, not this thread. And the person I spoke too was a regional manager even though they didn’t introduce themselves as such. And they were very good at not admitting to anything, but assured me they are taking care if this. I suspect the call was because of the immediate denial and subsequent approval with nothing in between. (No new evidence- it was patently obvious from the start this was a defect).

Here’s my problem with the lemon law:

- Significantly decreases the resale value. Define significantly
Gonna be hard to prove there.
Not at all

And the biggest problem, I’m moving cross country in the next 2-3 months. I need a truck to drag the trailer with most of my worldly possessions in it. I don’t have time or the appetite for a protracted legal battle with a far from certain outcome and no truck.

Does Ram owe me something for the value I’ve lost? Absolutely. Will I ever see it? Doubtful. And yet the replacement truck will more than likely be another Ram.

RJS

Reaction score
It does as it proves the truck is permanently damaged and has a loss of value and questionable future durability. Having a 3rd party adjuster suggest totaling the truck means you have a easy lemon law case. It;s also RIGHT in the area the frame and cab take the brunt during a collision. I'd also argue the safety of the vehicle is permanently compromised.
I'd agree that just welding it up is a possible issue, as it could keep progressing, but they replace panels (roof, top, side) everyday without totaling or loss of integral safety. IIWM, I would also look at diminished value if it shows on Carfax but I agree with the owner, it's better to get on with it and count the coup later.

Users who are viewing this thread