5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CPO truck, is the factory bumper to bumper still valid?

Fletch1205

Reaction score
I bought a CPO 2020 Ram 1500 with 19k miles.

Per the Ram website, all CPO trucks come with the 100k powertrain warranty, but also a 3mo/3000mile “maximum care” warranty.

The caveat is that there’s a note regarding the factory 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. It doesn’t state if that 3mo/3000 mile kicks in on the sale date, effectively invalidating the 3yr/36k factory warranty,

Or, if it’s added on to the factory 3yr/36,000 mile warranty.

The dealer told me two different answers. And if you Google enough, you get two different answers!

So am I covered for 3mo/3000 miles, or am I covered 15 months/19000 miles (based off in-service date and current mileage)??

I emailed RAM and am awaiting an answer. Dealer seemed more interested in selling me an aftermarket warranty than finding out the real answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I bought my CPO 2010 Dakota in 2012 with 18k mikes, I received the remainder of the 3/36 factory warranty. I know it worked because I had a wheel bearing replaced under that warranty a few thousand miles later (cannot recall exact mileage, but I do remember it being more than 3 months/3,000 miles after purchase).

I was told then that the 3 mo/3,000 miles only applies if it is longer than the remaining basic warranty (bumper-to-bumper), or if the basic warranty has already expired. What I received from Chrysler when I inquired back then seemed to go along with that.

1650823640803.png

While you're emailing them, make sure and register yourself as the new owner of the vehicle. Dealer is supposed to do this for you, but I find they do not approximately 50% of the time.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The factory 3/36 warranty transfers to the new buyer until the time or mileage exceeds the warranty period. Any other warranty you get will be in effect from the time you take delivery of the vehicle. In other words, they run concurrently, not consecutively.

Fletch1205

Reaction score
The factory 3/36 warranty transfers to the new buyer until the time or mileage exceeds the warranty period. Any other warranty you get will be in effect from the time you take delivery of the vehicle. In other words, they run concurrently, not consecutively.

That makes more sense. The salesman told me the 3mo kicks in after the 3yr. Then the finance manager told me the factory warranty doesn’t transfer and that the 3mo is effective on the sale date.

That didn’t make sense to me. But it also seemed like wishful thinking that I was getting another 3mo/3k on top. I figured the 3mo deal was for guys buying CPO trucks on the higher end of the mileage limitations of the CPO program.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Factory warranty automatically transfers with vehicle until either time or mileage is reached. The CPO warranty listed by dealer is only valid if vehicle is either close to, or outside of factory warranty.

Rick J

Reaction score
Lot's of different answers. I'll add one more. From the Chrysler Certified Preowned Website:

3-MONTH/3,000-MILE​

MAXIMUM CARE WARRANTY​

• Starts on the date of the CPOV sale, or at the expiration of the remaining 3/36 Basic New Vehicle Warranty

Fletch1205

Reaction score
Lot's of different answers. I'll add one more. From the Chrysler Certified Preowned Website:

3-MONTH/3,000-MILE​

MAXIMUM CARE WARRANTY​

• Starts on the date of the CPOV sale, or at the expiration of the remaining 3/36 Basic New Vehicle Warranty

Yeah that’s the problem. It doesn’t specify if it’s whichever occurs first.

Took the truck in for the standard rear window leak. The service advisor showed me that it is indeed still under factory warranty. He also said the 3mo/3000 kicks in after the basic expires. We shall see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/