5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cow catcher don't laugh!!

Kaydee

Reaction score
I plan on keeping my 19 Longhorn for a very long time seeing that I'm retired and likely not to need any more trucks. So because we travel on winter Canadian roads driving to Calgary this Shield protects the whole front end from rocks and stones. So I know it looks a little odd but after hundreds of miles on Northern Canadian roads this does the trick it mounts on to the tow hooks with two bolts and one bracket at the top which you can't see in these pictures. I used and older 15 Limited Grill and placed it into 3/16 aluminum sheet that I formed into a curve to follow the front end of the truck. It goes on in less than 2 minutes and off also. So I know this might get a few Chuckles but boy does it ever work 20181002_202819.jpg 20181002_202801.jpg 20181002_202948.jpg

Kaydee

Reaction score
Why not just clear bra?
clear bra great for small stones but this protects everything grille headlights fog lights hood from everything including the bigger rocks.... also I do have the clear bra for 99percent of my driving . this catcher is on only for long winter trips

jamesfg

Reaction score
No laughing here......necessity is the mother of invention. Hoorah to you for your idea and fab work. I'm in the same boat, I'm not gun shy to fab up something to fit my needs.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Necessity is the mother of invention--a saying that your stone-catcher proves! I like your creative approach to what is a serious issue. Having lived and driven parts of the Alaskan highway in pre-pavement days, I can say this should provide some good protection.

TimG

Reaction score
Man, That's Brilliant!!! I don't think people south of Wyoming realize the size of the rocks on the road up North, and the frequency with which they are encountered. Now, if only there was a way to prevent the chipped/cracked windshields!

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Now that is something I've never seen before. Pic of it mounted please.

Probably a few folks who tug their vehicles behind an RV would be interested in something like this. Not sure those rear brushes stop everything. The tow bars could be mounted on the front of your "cover" which mounts directly to the tow hooks...would be easier than some of the other RV hitch mounts i've seen.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very cool.
Are those drawers built into your garage steps?

Ramjack

Reaction score
That’s awesome. I’m not laughing one bit!!

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I plan on keeping my 19 Longhorn for a very long time seeing that I'm retired and likely not to need any more trucks. So because we travel on winter Canadian roads driving to Calgary this Shield protects the whole front end from rocks and stones. So I know it looks a little odd but after hundreds of miles on Northern Canadian roads this does the trick it mounts on to the tow hooks with two bolts and one bracket at the top which you can't see in these pictures. I used and older 15 Limited Grill and placed it into 3/16 aluminum sheet that I formed into a curve to follow the front end of the truck. It goes on in less than 2 minutes and off also. So I know this might get a few Chuckles but boy does it ever work View attachment 5731 View attachment 5732 View attachment 5733
WOw very cool. Can we see it on your truck?!

Agitated

Reaction score
Can’t you just not follow other vehicles so closely? Nice idea I guess but I wouldn’t personally ruin how the truck looks to prevent a few stone chips in the paint.
I do think it’s perfect for being used if it was a towed vehicle.

Kaydee

Reaction score
Very cool.
Are those drawers built into your garage steps?
Yes I put deep drawers into the stairway into the basement shop because I used to be in home renovations and how lots of extra supplies electrical and plumbing and cabinet supplies so this seemed to be an unused area of the shop so figured why not. It was vacant below the stairs anyway

Kaydee

Reaction score
Can’t you just not follow other vehicles so closely? Nice idea I guess but I wouldn’t personally ruin how the truck looks to prevent a few stone chips in the paint.
I do think it’s perfect for being used if it was a towed vehicle.
I certainly get you on that not everyone is as particular as I am but I just hate seeing the front and get hammered like that after one trip I've had as many as a hundred chips on a car

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yes I put deep drawers into the stairway into the basement shop because I used to be in home renovations and how lots of extra supplies electrical and plumbing and cabinet supplies so this seemed to be an unused area of the shop so figured why not. It was vacant below the stairs anyway
Brilliant.

TimG

Reaction score
Can’t you just not follow other vehicles so closely?
Its not always caused by following too closely. In fact, this thread jinxed me. On my way home from work, I caught a 1 or so inch filed stone in my hood. Kicked up by a passing bale hauler. Saw it coming, couldn't do anything but take the hit. So, now my 2 day old, less than 300 mile beautiful truck has received its first black eye. It repairable, but with the snow coming in this week, may just have to wait until spring.

Users who are viewing this thread