5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid / Chip Shortage Years or Months to Avoid?

Jerome10

Reaction score
Looking for a used truck. 2019+ for certain. I'm now looking more specifically at 2021+ trying to find power fold towing mirrors possibly (I undersand not available in 2019 and 2020).

With that said, I know RAM has had production issues. I think even building in late 2022 they are removing modems from the connected services? The floor bins I think I've seen missing as well. I don't think as bad as Ford but still. I will make sure the truck has whatever options I require, but there may be other "nice-to-haves" I'm just not aware of and could miss if I buy the wrong production month or something. Or maybe missing options that owners will tell you DO NOT BUY WITHOUT XYZ (i'll be honest missing OTA updates seems like a pretty big minus on a brand new truck).

I figure 2019 and 2020 should be good. 2021 sometime the meltdown started? Or are most 2021 models basically good-to-go but then early 2022 are ones to avoid?

Also I'll add there is some concern about taking shortcuts by all automakers on quality standards just to get ANY vehicles shipped to dealers during covid. So that weighs on my mind in addition to missing options.

Is there a clear way that RAM has made clear which issues are missing? Such as subtracting the value on the window sticker? Did I also see for awhile they even renamed packages? Level 2 Bighorn became a Level B Bighorn for awhile because items were missing?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Looking for a used truck. 2019+ for certain. I'm now looking more specifically at 2021+ trying to find power fold towing mirrors possibly (I undersand not available in 2019 and 2020).

With that said, I know RAM has had production issues. I think even building in late 2022 they are removing modems from the connected services? The floor bins I think I've seen missing as well. I don't think as bad as Ford but still. I will make sure the truck has whatever options I require, but there may be other "nice-to-haves" I'm just not aware of and could miss if I buy the wrong production month or something. Or maybe missing options that owners will tell you DO NOT BUY WITHOUT XYZ (i'll be honest missing OTA updates seems like a pretty big minus on a brand new truck).

I figure 2019 and 2020 should be good. 2021 sometime the meltdown started? Or are most 2021 models basically good-to-go but then early 2022 are ones to avoid?

Also I'll add there is some concern about taking shortcuts by all automakers on quality standards just to get ANY vehicles shipped to dealers during covid. So that weighs on my mind in addition to missing options.

Is there a clear way that RAM has made clear which issues are missing? Such as subtracting the value on the window sticker? Did I also see for awhile they even renamed packages? Level 2 Bighorn became a Level B Bighorn for awhile because items were missing?

the best way is to find a truck you like and get the build sheet using the vin and this site

put vin after = used all caps

it will list what the truck was built with

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
POwer folding available as option with certain trim levels on 19 DT forward. I have them on my 19 Limited.
He actually said "power fold towing mirrors", with the emphasis on towing. Those were not available on 2019 and 2020 models.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Yes, you'll want to watch for Level A/B designations, as they're generally missing something against the Level 1/2 designations. That said, it's just an overall tricky thing. Ram just changes the packages mid-year and you can't really tell what they did without paying careful attention to the window stickers (and even the build sheets, for items that don't show up on the window stickers).

Definitely watch the 2022 models. I "think" they started cutting things in the late 2021's as well.

That said, if you're after the power folding TOW mirrors, I don't think those were ever restricted. It was just the power folding REGULAR mirrors. In fact, the Rebel that I ordered was forced to a Level B (instead of Level 2), deleting the power folding mirrors. So I added the power folding TOW mirrors, and it was accepted.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
dont think there are years to avoid because of shortage, the quality will be the same, if the shortage affected a truck, its just that a option will be missing, but the rest of the truck will be the.same quality...
so if you find a truck with the options you want, dosent mather if its 2020 2021 or 2022 the quality is the same
alot of people try to avoid first year of production, that would be 2019 for the 5th gen, but imo i dont think they are more prone to problems

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
dont think there are years to avoid (your mentionning 2022)because of shortage, the quality will be the same, if the shortage affected a truck, its just that a option will be missing, but the rest of the truck will be the.same quality...

alot of people try to avoid first year of production, that would be 2019 for the 5th gen, but imo i dont think they are more prone to problems
Well, I think there were a few kinks in the 2019 models. The infamous A/C problem, where people started clamping hoses under their trucks to make it cold enough. And the rear window frame cracks - which I believe were solved sometime after the 2019 model year.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I think there were a few kinks in the 2019 models. The infamous A/C problem, where people started clamping hoses under their trucks to make it cold enough. And the rear window frame cracks - which I believe were solved sometime after the 2019 model year.
good point

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my 2021 in Sept 2020 with Power Folding Tow Mirrors with the 360º Surround Cameras too.
So there should be some out there.

Malodave

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you read through some of the many "cracked rear window" threads you'll see that there are plenty of people with '20 and '21's with the cracked rear window. Our '20 Limited (late March 2020 build date) has it. We're going through the issue with our local dealership right now, and of course they insisted they first needed to replace the CHMSL to see if that fixes the leak, which it didn't.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you read through some of the many "cracked rear window" threads you'll see that there are plenty of people with '20 and '21's with the cracked rear window. Our '20 Limited (late March 2020 build date) has it. We're going through the issue with our local dealership right now, and of course they insisted they first needed to replace the CHMSL to see if that fixes the leak, which it didn't.
Yeah, it's not clear to me exactly when they fixed the issue. I was careful to say, "sometime after the 2019 model year".

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not clear to me exactly when they fixed the issue. I was careful to say, "sometime after the 2019 model year".
I think it's too soon to say they actually did fix the problem with the rear windows to be honest. I sincerely hope it's been remedied, but people still have issues with their 3rd brake light leaking. As long as they've been in use you'd think that issue would have been solved years ago.

Jerome10

Reaction score
POwer folding available as option with certain trim levels on 19 DT forward. I have them on my 19 Limited.
Oh, thanks for the head's up. I'm looking BH or MAYBE Laramie but I will check this out.

Jerome10

Reaction score
He actually said "power fold towing mirrors", with the emphasis on towing. Those were not available on 2019 and 2020 models.
whoops nevermind. yes, I am specifically talking about power folding TOWING mirrors.

Users who are viewing this thread