5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cover for Rambox w MFT and black rails

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Yangster, can you please provide a link to the American Truck Cover's retractable tonneau that works with the black rails? I just purchased a 2021 RAM 1500 with RAM boxes, MFT and Cargo Management and it has the black rails with factory tri-fold tonneau. I've ordered a Dethloff MFG Contour bed rack to work with the RAM boxes and my Smittybilt XL Gen II rooftop tent but the factory tri-fold tonneau won't open with the bed rack. I either need to find a retractable tonneau that works with the black rails or try and find someone with the silver rails that wants to do a swap. Any help/advice is appreciated.
BigIron, here’s the link to the company’s website:

I have a 2020 1500 with ramboxes, barn doors, and the black rails that came with the factory cover. I exchanged emails with the folks at Truck Covers USA about their American Roll Cover product and they were very helpful in confirming that it would fit the truck. They even sent over a video of one installed on a similar truck (to show where the gap is near the tailgate). I really liked that product, but ended up getting the Diamondback instead.

What I really liked about the Roll Cover is that it’s strong (I think it can hold 400 lbs, or something like that) and that you can unlock the cover and roll into the canister WITHOUT any keys. There’s a pull-tab that you can reach when you open the tailgate. That makes it very convenient. (I wish the diamondback would also allow it to open without a key. I may have to do a little Macgyver and fix this shortcoming one day.)

Anyway, given your desire to mount a tent on top, the American Roll Cover sounds ideal.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Parkerduplexes

Reaction score
Has anyone installed an Extang Xceed hard trifold tonneau cover on a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn 10th anniversary edition with RamBox and MFT. The inside rails with cleat tie-downs is BLACK metal NOT silver. I mention the color of the inside rails because that appears to be a fitment issue if the rails are NOT silver. I appreciate any advice on installing the Extang Xceed cover a 2021 Ram with the same configuration (with RamBox and MFT and with black rails)?
Is the reason you had black rails is because you had a factory applied bed cover when truck was bought? I ordered same truck and wonder what color/version my rails will be

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, he had black rails in his rambox bed because his truck came with the factory bed cover. You will have black rails too if you're getting the factory bed cover.

RBJ

Reaction score
Is the reason you had black rails is because you had a factory applied bed cover when truck was bought? I ordered same truck and wonder what color/version my rails will be
Yes, truck came with factory soft-vinyl tonneau cover and truck bed rails are BLACK.

Parkerduplexes

Reaction score
Yes, he had black rails in his rambox bed because his truck came with the factory bed cover. You will have black rails too if you're getting the factory bed cover.
Ok the truck I ordered is not coming with a factory bed cover. So my rails should be silver? Appearantly those are the ones you need to buy a BAKFLIP cover??

Parkerduplexes

Reaction score
Yes, truck came with factory soft-vinyl tonneau cover and truck bed rails are BLACK.
Ok. My truck is not coming with a factory bed cover. So hopefully my rails will be silver and I can use a bakflip cover

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My assumption would be that you will get the silver rails, but honestly I don't know on the 2021 models. My 2020 didn't come with the factory bed cover, and has silver rails. My wife's 2020 came with the cover and had black rails. Would be good to know if that holds true for 2021 models as well.

Essbaum

Reaction score
I don't know if this is too late. Here is a backflip mx4 on a 21 rambox with mft. When ordering the bakflip it specifically asks new body style with rambox and silver rails.

Attachments

• PXL_20210412_001941688.jpg
    PXL_20210412_001941688.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20210421_183309214.jpg
    PXL_20210421_183309214.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20210421_183256894.jpg
    PXL_20210421_183256894.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 98

Parkerduplexes

Reaction score
I don't know if this is too late. Here is a backflip mx4 on a 21 rambox with mft. When ordering the bakflip it specifically asks new body style with rambox and silver rails.
Perfect thank you. My truck is on order am I am planning on the bakflip mx4 when my truck comes in.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's what we went with on our Limited with MFT and ramboxes after changing the rails. In fact, that's what first brought my attention to the fact that there are two different types of rails.

traveller09

Reaction score
I am in the process of negotiating a Rebel with RAMBoxes and probably MFT. I really want the retrax lockable cover. I have emailed them and they said it fits this Ram config but I dont know anything about the rails. Is there something I need to do when ordering or after delivery related to rails?

Venom700

Reaction score
I am in the process of negotiating a Rebel with RAMBoxes and probably MFT. I really want the retrax lockable cover. I have emailed them and they said it fits this Ram config but I dont know anything about the rails. Is there something I need to do when ordering or after delivery related to rails?
Others have been able to swap the rails with the selling dealer. If I knew this in advance, I would have asked the dealer to swap out the factory cover with black rails and give me the silver rails, and give me a bit of a discount (they can throw the cover on any truck in the lot and add it as a dealer option, making them more money above the discount).

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I have an '09 Dodge Ram 1500 with RamBox and silver rails. I am planning on purchasing a 2021 Limited with Night edition which unfortunately comes with the tri-fold factory cover.
Does anyone know if I can swap them ?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm going to assume they will work, but I can't say for sure. Are you keeping the '09? If so you can just try them when you get the new truck. If you are trading in or selling the '09 you might want to pull the rails first. One other tip, if you don't get the bed utility group on your '21 you won't get the bed divider. So you might want to hang onto the bed divider from your '09. It will work just fine in the '21.

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
Has anyone installed an Extang Xceed hard trifold tonneau cover on a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn 10th anniversary edition with RamBox and MFT. The inside rails with cleat tie-downs is BLACK metal NOT silver. I mention the color of the inside rails because that appears to be a fitment issue if the rails are NOT silver. I appreciate any advice on installing the Extang Xceed cover a 2021 Ram with the same configuration (with RamBox and MFT and with black rails)?
RBJ,

I'm in the same situation as I've had my truck for a year and am now looking for a new cover to replace the Mopar tri-fold. What option did you go with? I have the black rails and it seems maybe Diamondback is my only choice...unless I want to pay for the silver rails, then there are a lot of options.

RBJ

Reaction score
RBJ,

I'm in the same situation as I've had my truck for a year and am now looking for a new cover to replace the Mopar tri-fold. What option did you go with? I have the black rails and it seems maybe Diamondback is my only choice...unless I want to pay for the silver rails, then there are a lot of options.
Diamondback will work, albeit pricey. To install another tonneau, it appears we will first need to buy silver rails to replace the black rails.
https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/dtrailkit.html 2021 Ram 1500 DT Genuine Mopar Tonneau Cover Rail Kit
68027048AD - Right Side Rail
68027049AD - Left Side Rail
Then, you can purchase and install The BakFlip tonneau cover — your either BakFlip F1 or MX4

Yangster

Reaction score
Truckcovers USA. The have a retractable system that rolls into an 8x8' box. It is one of the more expensive covers, but as with anything, you get what you pay for. They also provide the replacement rails. The black rails are easy to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread