5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cover for Rambox w MFT and black rails

apineta

Reaction score
Just bought a 2021 Limited Night Edition with Rambox, Bed Utility Group and the Multifunction Gate. Not fond of the tonneau cover that came with the truck and started looking and reading the forum. Don’t seem to find any covers to fit my configuration. Have read about the black rails need to be replaced. But want to hear from you guys that have worked around the black rails or have found a cover that would fit.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not a lot of options for you if you intend to keep the black rails. Sounds like your truck is the twin to my wife's truck. We swapped out the black rails for the silver ones. Dealership ordered the silver rails, and once they came in they traded me for the black ones free of charge. I did the labor on it but honestly it couldn't be much easier to swap the rails. They mount with the same bolts in the same holes as the black rails.

apineta

Reaction score
Not a lot of options for you if you intend to keep the black rails. Sounds like your truck is the twin to my wife's truck. We swapped out the black rails for the silver ones. Dealership ordered the silver rails, and once they came in they traded me for the black ones free of charge. I did the labor on it but honestly it couldn't be much easier to swap the rails. They mount with the same bolts in the same holes as the
Not a lot of options for you if you intend to keep the black rails. Sounds like your truck is the twin to my wife's truck. We swapped out the black rails for the silver ones. Dealership ordered the silver rails, and once they came in they traded me for the black ones free of charge. I did the labor on it but honestly it couldn't be much easier to swap the rails. They mount with the same bolts in the same holes as the black rails.
Thanks. Need to ask. My current black rail looks like one piece the bottom half is the rail with the sliding tie down hooks and top half is the rail that runs along side flush with the Rambox. Is the silver replacement the same where the bottom half is silver and top half is black?

Terb59

Reaction score
I have the ReTrax on my 2019 w/Rambox. I didn't have to remove the rails. It attached to the rails.

c70cc4b99ad8311624f36fabff75285d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. Need to ask. My current black rail looks like one piece the bottom half is the rail with the sliding tie down hooks and top half is the rail that runs along side flush with the Rambox. Is the silver replacement the same where the bottom half is silver and top half is black?
The silver rails are different in design, not just the color. They don't sit as high as the black rails.

I have the ReTrax on my 2019 w/Rambox. I didn't have to remove the rails. It attached to the rails.

c70cc4b99ad8311624f36fabff75285d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's because your truck came with silver rails. It appears that you only get the black rails if you get the factory tonneau cover. Otherwise you will get the silver rails.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Just bought a 2021 Limited Night Edition with Rambox, Bed Utility Group and the Multifunction Gate. Not fond of the tonneau cover that came with the truck and started looking and reading the forum. Don’t seem to find any covers to fit my configuration. Have read about the black rails need to be replaced. But want to hear from you guys that have worked around the black rails or have found a cover that would fit.
My 2020 Laramie 1500 has ramboxes and the MFG, and also came with the factory tonneau cover (and so, I have the black rails). After some researching, I came to the conclusion that I need to either swap to the silver rails (dealer didn’t offer to swap for free, had to buy the outright) or get one of two covers that work with the black rails. The two I found were the American Truck Covers’ retractable cover or the Diamondback cover. Ended up getting the Diamondback cover and really like it. I was leaning more towards the retractable cover and it looks like it would be pretty sweet, but i got worried about dirt and other gunk fouling up the mechanism over time. The Diamondback is less versatile in some ways but also more versatile in other ways.

Some photos below. As you can see, I added a hidden bike mount under the cover that can be used to carry one bike when I want. When not using it, it’s completely hidden and out of the way.
95969C13-A461-49D7-A3CE-373D4407AD16.jpeg 6493BCD0-744B-4327-8306-8194B07155AD.jpeg 4A5DDCCE-4D6D-4C72-95D4-142531F3344F.jpeg A0ABE168-7669-43C6-88DE-73DC03D0FD29.jpeg

Venom700

Reaction score
I just sold my black rails and cover to someone who swapped the silver rails with me. Do a post for the same or ask a dealer to swap.

mrb2bcarshow

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie 1500 has ramboxes and the MFG, and also came with the factory tonneau cover (and so, I have the black rails). After some researching, I came to the conclusion that I need to either swap to the silver rails (dealer didn’t offer to swap for free, had to buy the outright) or get one of two covers that work with the black rails. The two I found were the American Truck Covers’ retractable cover or the Diamondback cover. Ended up getting the Diamondback cover and really like it. I was leaning more towards the retractable cover and it looks like it would be pretty sweet, but i got worried about dirt and other gunk fouling up the mechanism over time. The Diamondback is less versatile in some ways but also more versatile in other ways.

Some photos below. As you can see, I added a hidden bike mount under the cover that can be used to carry one bike when I want. When not using it, it’s completely hidden and out of the way.
View attachment 82681 View attachment 82682 View attachment 82683 View attachment 82684
nice cover, how much was it? and would you know the weight of it? coz i plan to have it ship in Canada. thanks in advance!

Captain Obvious

Reaction score
I have a tonneau and black rails listed in the classifieds if anyone is interested in buying or part trade for silver rails!

WilburNJ

Reaction score
nice cover, how much was it? and would you know the weight of it? coz i plan to have it ship in Canada. thanks in advance!
I forget exactly, but I think it was like $2100 or $2300. But, i have the heavy duty version. The “SE” version is maybe $500 less. I think it’s about $100 lbs or so. You can check them out at diamondbackcovers.com.

mrb2bcarshow

Reaction score
I forget exactly, but I think it was like $2100 or $2300. But, i have the heavy duty version. The “SE” version is maybe $500 less. I think it’s about $100 lbs or so. You can check them out at diamondbackcovers.com.
thank you very much! will check on it right away.

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn 10th anniversary edition with RamBox and MFT. The inside rails with cleat tie-downs is BLACK metal not silver. I mention the color of the inside rails because that appears to be a fitment issue if the rails are NOT silver. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hard tri-fold cover that will fit with a 2021 Ram with the same configuration (with RamBox and MFT and with black rails)?

Parkerduplexes

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn 10th anniversary edition with RamBox and MFT. The inside rails with cleat tie-downs is BLACK metal not silver. I mention the color of the inside rails because that appears to be a fitment issue if the rails are NOT silver. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hard tri-fold cover that will fit with a 2021 Ram with the same configuration (with RamBox and MFT and with black rails)?
Can I ask you what size is your spare tire? The 10th anniversary package is supposed to come with a full size spare tire. So that should be a 20”. May dealer is telling me it will only be a 18”??? I am ordering a truck

RBJ

Reaction score
FCA describes the spare tire as “full size,” it is in fact an 18” spare tire as your dealer advised.!!! And, my Longhorn came with 22” rims!

Last edited:

Yangster

Reaction score
From WilburNJ above: one of two covers that work with the black rails. The two I found were the American Truck Covers’ retractable cover or the Diamondback cover.

RBJ

Reaction score
Thanks, I read your post and found it very helpfu.

BigIron

Reaction score
Yangster, can you please provide a link to the American Truck Cover's retractable tonneau that works with the black rails? I just purchased a 2021 RAM 1500 with RAM boxes, MFT and Cargo Management and it has the black rails with factory tri-fold tonneau. I've ordered a Dethloff MFG Contour bed rack to work with the RAM boxes and my Smittybilt XL Gen II rooftop tent but the factory tri-fold tonneau won't open with the bed rack. I either need to find a retractable tonneau that works with the black rails or try and find someone with the silver rails that wants to do a swap. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Yangster

Reaction score
Yangster, can you please provide a link to the American Truck Cover's retractable tonneau that works with the black rails? I just purchased a 2021 RAM 1500 with RAM boxes, MFT and Cargo Management and it has the black rails with factory tri-fold tonneau. I've ordered a Dethloff MFG Contour bed rack to work with the RAM boxes and my Smittybilt XL Gen II rooftop tent but the factory tri-fold tonneau won't open with the bed rack. I either need to find a retractable tonneau that works with the black rails or try and find someone with the silver rails that wants to do a swap. Any help/advice is appreciated.
Sorry, don't have any links. I just copied from WilburNJ's comments above (#7).

RBJ

Reaction score
Has anyone installed an Extang Xceed hard trifold tonneau cover on a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn 10th anniversary edition with RamBox and MFT. The inside rails with cleat tie-downs is BLACK metal NOT silver. I mention the color of the inside rails because that appears to be a fitment issue if the rails are NOT silver. I appreciate any advice on installing the Extang Xceed cover a 2021 Ram with the same configuration (with RamBox and MFT and with black rails)?

Users who are viewing this thread