5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple 8.4 Non-Nav questions

hockeyboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've searched pretty heavily through these threads, and I can't find an answer to these questions. It's been discussed that the 8.4 non-nav radios do not support texting through your phone. Also, voice commands don't work. I'm really disappointed by this. I've had both Uconnect 3 and Uconnect 4 systems, and both had this feature. The other thing I've discovered is that I can't skip channels on the SiriusXM. I really don't want to have to scroll through all the channels that I know I don't want to listen too. I also don't want to be limited to just the 20 I can set as favorites. Again, both of the older systems have a channel skip feature which I can't find on this radio. Does anyone know if I can change these using AlfaOBD, or am I stuck because it's non-nav? I find it bizarre that such basic features are absent simply because there's no navigation system. Thanks

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 8.4 non-NAV. I can directly go to any Sirius channel I want by hand or voice. When I'm driving I try not to text, but if I must I just pick up the phone and do it real quick while sitting at a red light. I haven't found any limitation at all to having the non-NAV unit. NAV still works flawlessly via my phone's connection.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
I have 8.4 non-NAV. I can directly go to any Sirius channel I want by hand or voice. When I'm driving I try not to text, but if I must I just pick up the phone and do it real quick while sitting at a red light. I haven't found any limitation at all to having the non-NAV unit. NAV still works flawlessly via my phone's connection.
Thanks for the response. I too can go to any channel I want, but what I'm talking about is being able to "x" out channels so that they won't be on the dial when I scroll. I like to flip through the channels just to see what's on. There are however, many of the channels that I would never listen to. In the previous generations there was a skip list where you could check off channels that just wouldn't show up on your radio. Then you can simply scroll through the rest of the channels to see what's on. I also don't text when driving, but on my other trucks, when someone texted me the radio would tell me that a text came in and read it aloud to me. My understanding is that the 8.4 with Nav still does this, as well as the 12. I'm wondering if these are options that can be turned on with AlfaOBD.

Users who are viewing this thread