5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could we get a sticky for maintenance parts/intervals?

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
The 3.0 forum is a mish-mash of different threads. I only have about 1300mi on my truck, but I will begin deciding on maintenance intervals and parts. It would be nice to have it all in one place. I know some intervals can be found here, but I prefer owner input and brands.

Filters, Fluids, belts, bolts, seals, compression washers, checks, adjustments, etc.

-Maintenance Type
-Recommended Interval
-Amount / Capacity
-Specification / Certification
-Listing of Brands / Part Numbers that meet that Specification

Who wants to start us off?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 3.0 forum is a mish-mash of different threads. I only have about 1300mi on my truck, but I will begin deciding on maintenance intervals and parts. It would be nice to have it all in one place. I know some intervals can be found here, but I prefer owner input and brands.

Filters, Fluids, belts, bolts, seals, compression washers, checks, adjustments, etc.

-Maintenance Type
-Recommended Interval
-Amount / Capacity
-Specification / Certification
-Listing of Brands / Part Numbers that meet that Specification

Who wants to start us off?
We could certainly put one together. Aseras’s brash comment about the owners manual is on the right track though. Most intervals I follow are based on the manufacturer’s recommendations, unless I want to be more stringent. For example, OEM states that oil changes should not exceed 10,000 miles. I would never go past 5000 miles because of soot loading. In fact in a few minutes, I’m going to change my oil for the third time since owning the eco diesel (at 12,500mi). My intervals are off a little because I was worried about metal floating around/ new engine contaminants when the engine was new and changed it early. I also completely ignore the oil life indicator since I don’t idle much.

bucolic

Reaction score
You afraid of the Owners manual?
If we all read the owners manual this forum would cease to exist :love:

The OP stated he was looking for input from owners and what brands they recommend. Not going to find that in the Manual. Already got some good input from djevox on ignoring the oil indicator gauge. Me, I always went by that as I figured if it is what Dodge is saying can't do much better than that but due to djevox's comment I'll be changing my oil early this weekend. Good points brought up there I never thought about!

Owners' manual should be the first source but nothing beats experiences from real-world owners and miles driven!

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If we all read the owners manual this forum would cease to exist :love:

The OP stated he was looking for input from owners and what brands they recommend. Not going to find that in the Manual. Already got some good input from djevox on ignoring the oil indicator gauge. Me, I always went by that as I figured if it is what Dodge is saying can't do much better than that but due to djevox's comment I'll be changing my oil early this weekend. Good points brought up there I never thought about!

Owners' manual should be the first source but nothing beats experiences from real-world owners and miles driven!
This is going to turn into a sh*t show of what oil is best or why this filter is better than the other. You cannot expect any thread asking for recommendations to end well.

bucolic

Reaction score
This is going to turn into a sh*t show of what oil is best or why this filter is better than the other. You cannot expect any thread asking for recommendations to end well.

You are 100% correct! The only thing that could be slightly worse is 3.21 vs 3.92 threads. I formally withdraw my previous post...stick to the manual!

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are 100% correct! The only thing that could be slightly worse is 3.21 vs 3.92 threads. I formally withdraw my previous post...stick to the manual!
3.21 vs 3.92 and which gets you better MPGs and if 89 makes a difference over 87 and if a lift or level affects MPGS and does 3.21 or 3.92 have less or more of an impact and if I run 40 psi cold over 38 psi and can't forget stock tires vs A/Ts vs 10 ply vs 35s and if you're running 0w-20 ot 5w-20 or 5w-30 and if you have stock air filter, K&N, cai, etc. OH, can't forget...did you eat a cheeseburger and fries for lunch or just a cheeseburger. LOL

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
You afraid of the Owners manual?
I mean, there is a community consensus on maintenance that differs from the owner's manual. If we all went by the owner's manual, we would use all OEM parts/fluids at exactly the recommended interval.

I would like to do my oil every 10k, as the manual states, but I can tell that most owners do not recommend doing that.
There's also a pretty long list of compatible Oils, Filters, DEF, that people seem to prefer and where to buy it for the best price.
I'd like to start putting together my collection of fluids/filters/spares etc. on the shelf so they're ready when I need them.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean, there is a community consensus on maintenance that differs from the owner's manual. If we all went by the owner's manual, we would use all OEM parts/fluids at exactly the recommended interval.

I would like to do my oil every 10k, as the manual states, but I can tell that most owners do not recommend doing that.
There's also a pretty long list of compatible Oils, Filters, DEF, that people seem to prefer and where to buy it for the best price.
I'd like to start putting together my collection of fluids/filters/spares etc. on the shelf so they're ready when I need them.
I’m doing the same right now. The main issue I’ve run into is my normal aftermarket filters have been back ordered for two months and there’s no ETA on arrival. I tried to account for that by placing separate orders of individual filters and separate bulk orders, but none have been filled. I also noticed that Quaker State 5w40 has all but disappeared.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rockauto has had the mopar oil filters for a while now, they only went out of stock this week.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Which one is ours? Is there an aftermarket alternative people like to use?

View attachment 132367
It’s the fourth one, and that number has been superseded anyway. Yes, there are aftermarket alternatives (which is what I buy). I’m not going to list any brands because stock is so volatile, but you can pretty much just check Amazon to see all the choices.

Users who are viewing this thread