5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could the Ford Ranger EPA Fuel Mileage investigation also affect Ram?

Chris

Reaction score
In case you haven't heard, an investigation is taking place into the reported Fuel Mileage of the Ford Ranger:

Based on the many reports of the Fuel Mileage of the 5.7 eTorque being much lower than the window sticker numbers for many (most?) of us, is there a chance that this opens the door into an investigation into Ram's reported Fuel Mileage as well?

EJanx07

Reaction score
In case you haven't heard, an investigation is taking place into the reported Fuel Mileage of the Ford Ranger:

Based on the many reports of the Fuel Mileage of the 5.7 eTorque being much lower than the window sticker numbers for many (most?) of us, is there a chance that this opens the door into an investigation into Ram's reported Fuel Mileage as well?
Man I hope so! I started off with averaging 15.5-16mpg, and was happy thinking that once the motor gets more broken in, my mpg would continue to improve. BUT, as more miles I pass, the worse it’s getting. Exact Same driving habits, exact same routes taken, 1,600 miles now and I’m now averaging 13.9! WTF?.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I’m at 12.0-12.2 combined

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
f8476c85959d3fc745cf55a66dea816c.jpg

KRField

Reaction score
Non E-torque 5.7 here my last tank was 19.1(hand calc) driving suburban area running 89 octane. Highway doing 75-80 20.4-20.8.

I would talk to the dealer and check on an updates to the pcm and tcm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is odd that the majority of 5th Gen Ram owners are seeing incredibly varied mileage. My Rebel is all over the map... but after a couple of oil changes and sticking to the same octane and same brand of fuel each tank, improvements are being noticed.

Many members have commented that Ram should have MPG expectancy for each trim, since they are so different from one another the mileage is on opposite sides of the average rating.

In no way should any of this be shocking to most owners. We all know every manufacturer will try to bend the rules near the breaking point to improve sales and profit margins.

It will be very interesting to see what comes of this.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just updated my pcm and tcm, too soon to know if it makes any difference. One thing I have noticed in the past is that the cruise control is a bit aggressive on the throttle and it doesn’t go into ECO mode much. Using my foot over the same terrain, I can get into ECO mode more often.

JayRam19

Reaction score
I’m getting about 13.5 currently BUT my driving is all local and I don’t go much faster than 35-40mph. So lots of start and stops. I also noticed that the remote start absolutely kills mpg. I really can’t understand why so it says so much gas is being consumed when it’s ideling in park?!? I also hope this reaches Rams because I’m not where my mpg should be according to my window sticker.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man I hope so! I started off with averaging 15.5-16mpg, and was happy thinking that once the motor gets more broken in, my mpg would continue to improve. BUT, as more miles I pass, the worse it’s getting. Exact Same driving habits, exact same routes taken, 1,600 miles now and I’m now averaging 13.9! WTF?.
It's winter now. Cold motor and trans, warm up time, plus winter fuel always lowers mpg. Cold motors run rich so more fuel is used during warm up.

EJanx07

Reaction score
I’m getting about 13.5 currently BUT my driving is all local and I don’t go much faster than 35-40mph. So lots of start and stops. I also noticed that the remote start absolutely kills mpg. I really can’t understand why so it says so much gas is being consumed when it’s ideling in park?!? I also hope this reaches Rams because I’m not where my mpg should be according to my window sticker.

I also don’t understand why or how remote start/idle, has any impact to the mpg. You aren’t moving.... the lowest rpms the motor can operate at, should equal the least amount of fuel consumption. My 4th gen ram’s remote start had no impact on the mpg...
If this is in fact the case, nothing is going to improve in our trucks during summer/warmer months. I don’t know about you guys, but I use my remote start the same exact amount in summer/warmer months as I do during winter/cold months. From using the AC to cool down the inside of the cab (running the AC burns more fuel than the heater I would think?), so when I get in, I don’t have a damn heatstroke! Haha

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also don’t understand why or how remote start/idle, has any impact to the mpg. You aren’t moving.... the lowest rpms the motor can operate at, should equal the least amount of fuel consumption. My 4th gen ram’s remote start had no impact on the mpg...
If this is in fact the case, nothing is going to improve in our trucks during summer/warmer months. I don’t know about you guys, but I use my remote start the same exact amount in summer/warmer months as I do during winter/cold months. From using the AC to cool down the inside of the cab (running the AC burns more fuel than the heater I would think?), so when I get in, I don’t have a **** heatstroke! Haha
When you are at idle, you are getting zero mpg. The longer it sits the more fuel burned. If you autostart every morning for 10 min you will most certainly negatively impact your mpg.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just updated my pcm and tcm, too soon to know if it makes any difference. One thing I have noticed in the past is that the cruise control is a bit aggressive on the throttle and it doesn’t go into ECO mode much. Using my foot over the same terrain, I can get into ECO mode more often.
Who updated it? Dealer? If Dealer did they do it without too much fuss? What kind of mpg were you getting?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your mpg didn't drop when idling on your previous vehicle then the onboard calculator wasn't working right or you never reset your mpg screens so the average was over hundreds of miles and a cold start is small in comparison. Reset your mpg screen then drive 1 day, note the mpg average that evening. Cold start and warmup the next day and look again. It'll drop 1-2 mpg depending on how many miles you drove after resetting.

A gas engine is at it's worst efficiency at idle because the throttle plate is fully closed and is choking down the motor to idle. The mpg is zero!

Cold motors run rich by design. That's extra fuel. In the old days we choked the motor to enrich the mixture during warmup. Now the ECU does this for us.

BTK

Reaction score
I'm getting 17 combined. 200 Miles so far. Built 4 weeks ago. Hemi, No eTorque.
I wonder if FCA is going to release a SW update for the eTorque, maybe it's charging all the time.

That said, I LOVE the super-responsiveness from the gas peddle. Never have to floor it to kick ***, and ask questions later. FCA NEVER change this. It's a Hemi.

I HATE the other brands that treat you like an idiot and retard/slow the gas paddle input response to save fuel, and you have to floor it every time you get in those trucks. Ridiculous.

Maybe RAM could add an Eco mode button to slow everything up...but come on we might use it once a year.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
I'm getting 17 combined. 200 Miles so far. Built 4 weeks ago. Hemi, No eTorque.
I wonder if FCA is going to release a SW update for the eTorque, maybe it's charging all the time.

That said, I LOVE the super-responsiveness from the gas peddle. Never have to floor it to kick ***, and ask questions later. FCA NEVER change this. It's a Hemi.

I HATE the other brands that treat you like an idiot and retard/slow the gas paddle input response to save fuel, and you have to floor it every time you get in those trucks. Ridiculous.

Maybe RAM could add an Eco mode button to slow everything up...but come on we might use it once a year.

Mine is on it's third set of updates on the pcm/tcm/hcm on 3 different dealer visits, albeit for the same complaint.
The 2 most recently show different revisions on my receipts

Reactions: BTK

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Who updated it? Dealer? If Dealer did they do it without too much fuss? What kind of mpg were you getting?
Dealership did, no hassle at all and I was a walk-in. I wanted the power steering recall done and they just did it at the same time

Was getting around 14 mpg combined. And I kinda have a lead foot, although I do try to avoid pealing out:)

BFA1CE55-16CF-4D7C-8B44-0A7A24A8395E.jpeg

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
My Limited Etorque is getting terrible mileage. Today my display reads 12.2. I'm at 3000 miles and only checked the mileage by hand once and I was getting 14+ on a highway trip with some mountains to climb. I am not a lead foot at all. I baby this truck. I do remote start in the winter but that shouldn't affect it too much. I heard 1.7 ounces of fuel every 90 seconds at idle in these trucks.

EJanx07

Reaction score
If your mpg didn't drop when idling on your previous vehicle then the onboard calculator wasn't working right or you never reset your mpg screens so the average was over hundreds of miles and a cold start is small in comparison. Reset your mpg screen then drive 1 day, note the mpg average that evening. Cold start and warmup the next day and look again. It'll drop 1-2 mpg depending on how many miles you drove after resetting.

A gas engine is at it's worst efficiency at idle because the throttle plate is fully closed and is choking down the motor to idle. The mpg is zero!

Cold motors run rich by design. That's extra fuel. In the old days we choked the motor to enrich the mixture during warmup. Now the ECU does this for us.

I reset at each fill up, since I got it a month ago. Driving habits haven’t changed, autostart idle times haven’t changed (morning 4-5 minute warm up time). The more miles I’m racking up, the worse my mpg average is, and the weather hasn’t changed in the month I’ve had it. I also run 91. Could the higher octane be it? I haven’t heard of that being an issue before, but doesn’t mean it couldn’t affect things. (Improve if anything). Around the SW Idaho area, I’m at about 2400ft elevation, so doubt that could be it either

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/