5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could ANC be causing drone with my new exhaust?

Kinalyx

Reaction score
Ive been using Solo Performance exhausts for years, and know the owners fairly well. I spoke with them prior to ordering the MR300 muffler replacement and they assured me there was no drone with the system. I am noticing a fairly decent amount of drone(im pretty sensitive to drone), but my kids in the back seat claim the truck sounds exactly the same as before to them.

Could ANC be causing a drone for me but somehow cancelling out the exhaust note for them?

BTW i have already ordered 1 of the ANC delete harnesses, at least so i can actually rule it out before speaking with the guys at solo.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Was it a muffler only replacement or a fully tuned cat-back system system?

If it was just a muffler, it's unlikely not to drone when in MDS (4-cylinder mode). There is a reason why the factory muffler is the size and shape of an oil drum, it's to mask the drone when in MDS mode, and they still need the speaker cancellation system there to help.

Make sure to turn on your ECO light in the menu options, this will allow you to see when you are in MDS and see if it matches when you hear the drone that bothers you. If that's the case, you can just turn off MDS, either setting the transmission gear limit to 8 using the steering wheel controls or switch on the Tow/Haul mode.

Your other option is a fully tuned cat-back system, such as Borla's line of exhaust designed to work with MDS.

Kinalyx

Reaction score
It was a muffler replacement only, the worst drone isn't when MDS kicks in, it's roughly 1600rpm while cruising.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It was a muffler replacement only, the worst drone isn't when MDS kicks in, it's roughly 1600rpm while cruising.

Gotcha, that's interesting. If you can confirm its not the ANC, then it will likely be the characteristics of that particular muffler.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Just unplug your ANC, its under the drivers seat and go for a ride. You will not have any radio while doing this but you will know for sure and then can decide if its worth getting the bypass.

Kinalyx

Reaction score
I mean....that's usually where MDS operates. Low RPM cruising.
True, but the green eco isn't on when I'm hearing it. Houston freeways are a ton of up and down so I don't get much eco mode anyway. I also did the gear shift thing at one point to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
True, but the green eco isn't on when I'm hearing it. Houston freeways are a ton of up and down so I don't get much eco mode anyway. I also did the gear shift thing at one point to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

You did, sounds like it's not the MDS.

Users who are viewing this thread