5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couch + Queen Mattress + Box Spring in RAMBOX Bed??

pinkerton

Reaction score
Input from you all would be greatly appreciated. I have to move a couch (90"L x 40"H x 39"W), a queen mattress (60" x 80") and box spring in my ram with ramboxes. It will be a 700 mile trip so I have to get everything secure. My thinking is that the couch will sit in the bed first with the tail gate down, then mattress laying flat across the couch, then box spring on top, then wrap it all with a tarp and lock it down tight with ratchet straps.

Has anyone tried this? Please share your thoughts - I want to avoid the hassle/cost of renting a trailer if possible.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did similar in my 2014, although for roughly 300 miles, not 700. As long as you strap well, I'd say you'll do fine. Minimum of two straps over the top, and one around the end.

Make sure and have an orange/red flag or some other bright colored marker on, or very close to, the point that sticks furthest out from your bed. Most states have a law around that, some enforce it. Home Depot/Lowes/etc. typically provide these for free upon request if you buy any lumber from them.

pinkerton

Reaction score
Could you not fit them all upright with the mattress in the middle?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean but if the mattress/box are upright, there will be no room for the couch (the couch is 39", mattress + box is about 20" - total width of bed is 48")

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what you mean but if the mattress/box are upright, there will be no room for the couch (the couch is 39", mattress + box is about 20" - total width of bed is 48")
Yeah you are right, looks like I missed the fact it was a wide couch

Majortom

Reaction score
Not trying to spend someone else’s money, have you considered renting a light trailer? U-Haul has them starting around $15 a day. And it would give additional capacity if you had other items to move.

pinkerton

Reaction score
Not trying to spend someone else’s money, have you considered renting a light trailer? U-Haul has them starting around $15 a day. And it would give additional capacity if you had other items to move.
It's $400 to rent a 5 x 8 trailer one way. I would definitely rent it if this was local and $15/day

Majortom

Reaction score
It's $400 to rent a 5 x 8 trailer one way. I would definitely rent it if this was local and $15/day
Wow! I had no idea they ring you up for that much. Last time I rented one for 3 days I paid less than $50. Years ago mind you...

Users who are viewing this thread