5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cost to install Flowmaster muffler??

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
I have the Flowmaster flowfx muffler only, not direct bolt on I am looking to get installed. Instal would need a 7 in piece of pipe added to make up the size difference from stock muffler. So just 2 cuts and 4 welds basically. I’ve been quoted as high as $200, lowest is $125 just want to see what you all think a fair price should be?
I am supplying muffler so only thing shop would supply is a 7inch piece of the 3in pipe and the labor. I was thinking it would be less but maybe not!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For me, I had Flowmaster Outlaw installed, total price was $275, however that included the $100 for the muffler. So I paid $175 for the installation, this is including tax.

Besides welding the muffler to both the inlet and outlet sides, the additional pipe tubing on the out side to connect to the stock Y pipe, there is also the hangers on the muffler which need to be welded and put into place. They need to take some time to make sure everything lines up and adjust that additional pipe they are adding.

Total labor time was about 1.5 hours if I can remember. The quoted price from several other well respected muffler shops was about the same. This is still less expensive than a direct-fit system while being a more secure installation.

Last edited:

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
For me, I had Flowmaster Outlaw installed, total price was $275, however that included the $100 for the muffler. So I paid $175 for the installation, this is including tax.

Besides welding the muffler to both the inlet and outlet sides, the additional pipe tubing on the out side to connect to the stock Y pipe, there is also the hangers on the muffler which need to be welded and put into place. They need to take some time to make sure everything lines up and adjust that additional pipe they are adding.

Total labor time was about 1.5 hours if I can remember. The quoted price from several other well respected muffler shops was about the same. This is still less expensive than a direct-fit system while being a more secure installation.
True I forgot a couple hangers too, good call. Reviews say he is the best welder/exhaust guy around so paying for quality matters too.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
True I forgot a couple hangers too, good call. Reviews say he is the best welder/exhaust guy around so paying for quality matters too.

It's worth it, it will be on there for years, might as well pay a little more now to make sure it's right. This is probably the most cost effective mod in terms of driving enjoyment you can make on your RAM, changes the personality. Gives my RAM that "sense of occasion" driving experience.

But under $300 for muffler, labor, materials and taxes seems to be about what they charge, at least around my parts, but that's California, so you can bet they got some bs environmental waste fees or what not tacked on there as well they are rolling into their costs.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
It's worth it, it will be on there for years, might as well pay a little more now to make sure it's right. This is probably the most cost effective mod in terms of driving enjoyment you can make on your RAM, changes the personality. Gives my RAM that "sense of occasion" driving experience.

But under $300 for muffler, labor, materials and taxes seems to be about what they charge, at least around my parts, but that's California, so you can bet they got some bs environmental waste fees or what not tacked on there as well they are rolling into their costs.
Yeah even with muffler cost included I’m actually around $185. Still a savings of over $100 from the “direct replacement” and I don’t have to do the work.
Here’s to hoping the wife doesn’t hate it, haha because once it’s in it’s in. Part of the reason I got the flowfx, tame when you want it to be and then when she’s not in truck I can hit it and listen to that hemi hum!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah even with muffler cost included I’m actually around $185. Still a savings of over $100 from the “direct replacement” and I don’t have to do the work.
Here’s to hoping the wife doesn’t hate it, haha because once it’s in it’s in. Part of the reason I got the flowfx, tame when you want it to be and then when she’s not in truck I can hit it and listen to that hemi hum!

Yup, sounds like the best of both Worlds, for me my neighbors from across the street know when I'm heading to church on Sunday, lol. The cold start is mighty! However, once she is warmed up, at cruising speed, it's about as quiet as stock. However, you put your foot down, it will sound like a 60s muscle car.

Users who are viewing this thread