5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cost of living OT posts from What did you do to your Ram today???

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your local exhaust shops must be rolling in money if they charge that much. I had an entire custom bent and welded dual exhaust for my 1966 D100 done at my local preferred shop, which isn't even the cheapest place, for less than $400. I did provide the mufflers, so add in $200 for the mufflers I bought.
He’s in NY. You’re in Nebraska (I think lol). There’s a world of difference between the two standards of living. NY is overpriced for everything compared to the Corn Husker State. The only other state more expensive than NY is Commiefornia. 🤣🤣

Insanity

Reaction score
My prefered local exhaust shop quoted me 1200 for a cat back and 1600 if I needed manifolds back on my S10. I had a friend torch out the studs that broke off and stuffed in a new gasket. Solved one leak just to see the cat has split and probably needs replaced also.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He’s in NY. You’re in Nebraska (I think lol). There’s a world of difference between the two standards of living. NY is overpriced for everything compared to the Corn Husker State. The only other state more expensive than NY is Commiefornia. 🤣🤣
Come to Hawaii…not even close, brother. 😑

“…The title of the most expensive state in the U.S. goes to Hawaii, with a Cost of Living Index of 184, far surpassing the national baseline. Following Hawaii are Massachusetts, California, New York, and Alaska. Notably, three out of the top five most expensive states are located on coasts…”

I bought my house in the early 2000’s, which the property was priced right around 650k. Its value now is over a million. Foreign investments have driven real estate values through the roof over the last 15-20 years.

To give you an idea, a gallon of whole milk will run an average of $8, a loaf of bread is about $7, and regular unleaded is at an average of 4.35/gal. I pay 4.29 for 92 octane at Sam’s.

That and shipping fees to the middle of the Pacific Ocean…ugh. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

“…The title of the most expensive state in the U.S. goes to Hawaii, with a Cost of Living Index of 184, far surpassing the national baseline. Following Hawaii are Massachusetts, California, New York, and Alaska. Notably, three out of the top five most expensive states are located on coasts…”

I bought my house in the early 2000’s, which the property was priced right around 650k. Its value now is over a million. Foreign investments have driven real estate values through the roof over the last 15-20 years.

To give you an idea, a gallon of whole milk will run an average of $8, a loaf of bread is about $7, and regular unleaded is at an average of 4.35/gal. I pay 4.29 for 92 octane at Sam’s.

And how much money a year do you make working IN Hawaii?

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And how much money a year do you make working IN Hawaii?
I’m a civilian DOD employee who clears 80k a year. I’m born and raised here, actually am half Hawaiian which is a rarity in itself. I have a disabled retired spouse who has social security and a small pension.
I consider myself lucky to afford my lifestyle, if you want to call it that.
I have a small nest of savings and valuable collectibles but basically live paycheck to paycheck.
I tell everyone, it is a great place to live IF you can afford it. Plenty of free things to do, but the cost of living is ridiculous.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ha. Multiply everything you’re paying in Hawaii by 1.40 for the dollar exchange and then multiply that by 1.12 for the tax in BC and you’ve graduated to CAD in BC 🇨🇦. Everything I want to buy comes from the States and I pay duty on top of the purchase. Gas currentlywhere I live works out to $5.61 per gallon USD or $6.71 CAD. AND they just instituted an additional 2% Carbon tax that will add to that yet again. 😡

Last edited:

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha. Multiply everything you’re paying in Hawaii by 1.40 and then multiply that by 1.12 for the tax in BC and you’ve graduated to CAD in BC 🇨🇦. Everything I want to buy comes from the States and I pay duty on top of the purchase.
Well, that’s kinda automatic coming from where you are, but your cost of living in general, is much cheaper…

Cost of living in Vancouver (Canada) is 19% cheaper than in Honolulu, Hawaii (United States)​

Our #1 industry is tourism. Better have them credit cards cleared when visiting…

The average daily cost (per person) in Hawaii is $342, while the average daily cost in British Columbia is $140.

Filled gas a few hours ago and paid 4.19/gal for 92 at Sam’s, $.10 down from last week. Happy the fill up stayed under a hundred.
Then dropped $75.00 at Sam’s on coffee, a tray pack of 18 ground prime beef sliders, brioche slider buns, brownies for the wife, mixed nuts for me to snack on and a package of salad mix.
We’ll be eating sliders for the next 3 days. 😂

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was working in Hawaii for maybe 6 months in 20-21 and was there 2017 ish for a month.. wonderful place to visit for a short time but i could never afford to live there hell I think even most natives can’t afford it either I have a good friend I met down there on the first visit we kept in touch over the years then when I went back again we met up even she was working 3 jobs just to make do and was considering leaving for Seattle which I told her wasn’t that much better (I also worked there for a few months also) tourism hurts the natives more then it seems to benefits them.

Edit: maybe once day they’ll finish that metro extension

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The household must include multiple incomes to survive, no matter how it’s done. My situation is not so much different, but I planned well (after years of ****ty credit), share my property with my brother who has a very good paying job, and TRY to live within my means. I can honestly say, I have expensive hobbies and taste, but have and can still afford all my own $h!T.
My wife comes first now. Her well being is first on the list, but I still have ways to fund my “toys”.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edit: maybe once day they’ll finish that metro exextension.
You talking about the rail...?!?!!
That waste of taxpayer money and concrete does nothing for me...it only goes back and forth.
I live on one side of the island and work on the other side. If that thing went AROUND the island then maybe I'd ride it.
But that's the epitome of life in Hawaii. The cheaper property goes Leeward and so does all the traffic. The idea was to alleviate traffic by building the rail. Far from successful so far.
You want to alleviate traffic...stop giving dumbasses their licenses.
I always said If you're not at work, you're stuck in traffic heading to it, THAT'S Hawaii life.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah the rail.. forgot what it was called. I think when I was there in 17/18 it was just being started or at least wasn’t done past maybe the stadium. I thought oh cool figuring it was going further around the island then it was. I later found out that wasn’t the case and how much it was costing and like most thought waste of money. When I went back years later it might of been built past the Pearlridge center and I thought thats as far as they’ve gotten. You’re absolutely correct about traffic as beautiful an amazing as the island is, any should be simple quick drive will have you sitting it traffic for entirely to long. Also the fact our two rentals was either a 2500 work truck or Jeep and if you didn’t have the Jeep man what a nightmare maneuvering that 2500 was around was. Fun times.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, that’s kinda automatic coming from where you are, but your cost of living in general, is much cheaper…

Cost of living in Vancouver (Canada) is 19% cheaper than in Honolulu, Hawaii (United States)​

Our #1 industry is tourism. Better have them credit cards cleared when visiting…

The average daily cost (per person) in Hawaii is $342, while the average daily cost in British Columbia is $140.

Filled gas a few hours ago and paid 4.19/gal for 92 at Sam’s, $.10 down from last week. Happy the fill up stayed under a hundred.
Then dropped $75.00 at Sam’s on coffee, a tray pack of 18 ground prime beef sliders, brioche slider buns, brownies for the wife, mixed nuts for me to snack on and a package of salad mix.
We’ll be eating sliders for the next 3 days. 😂
I hear you. Been to Maui several times. Cost of food is especially high. We shopped at Costco for most things when we were there as well. Friday was seafood day there. Lobster was cheaper than meat. We ate a lot of Lobster! LOL

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear you. Been to Maui several times. Cost of food is especially high. We shopped at Costco for most things when we were there as well. Friday was seafood day there. Lobster was cheaper than meat. We ate a lot of Lobster! LOL
We hit a mcds for a lite breakfast there one time before covid and for a family of 5 it was $75!!! If we go back as a couple, we'll definitely check the airbnbs.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently political. A 5th grader could see that the quote was because all 5 states listed are coastal states. Politics in mcds prices?

Would've got more respect if you left politics out of it.

Back on topic...

rick619

Reaction score
The only other state more expensive than NY is Commiefornia. 🤣🤣

I hear ya there! Plus sometimes it's like trying to hit a moving target.

Not with my Ram (because it's new), but got screwed on my Jeep a few years ago when they decided to change the smog laws. Went to the same smog inspection place I've been going to for years. Same Jeep has been there many times. This last time, he said the part numbers on my exhaust are not correct, so I wouldn't pass. WTF? Oh, new CA laws... Mine came from out of state.

It was a Saturday, so take it to a close by shop that I'd never been to. This first guy apparently didn't look at my near 20 year old Jeep and think I might know a few things. Quoted me $2400 to get it back to CA spec. Practically smacked the guy when he handed me the estimate.

Asked around and found a reputable muffler shop that works on lots of hot rods. Got the parts replaced for around $400 and passed smog. Proceeded to write an awful review of the first place.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hear ya there! Plus sometimes it's like trying to hit a moving target.

Not with my Ram (because it's new), but got screwed on my Jeep a few years ago when they decided to change the smog laws. Went to the same smog inspection place I've been going to for years. Same Jeep has been there many times. This last time, he said the part numbers on my exhaust are not correct, so I wouldn't pass. WTF? Oh, new CA laws... Mine came from out of state.

It was a Saturday, so take it to a close by shop that I'd never been to. This first guy apparently didn't look at my near 20 year old Jeep and think I might know a few things. Quoted me $2400 to get it back to CA spec. Practically smacked the guy when he handed me the estimate.

Asked around and found a reputable muffler shop that works on lots of hot rods. Got the parts replaced for around $400 and passed smog. Proceeded to write an awful review of the first place.
Meanwhile the United States of America be like
1712693824865.png

Users who are viewing this thread