5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper discovery at3 4s 275/60-20 installed.

Franky350

Reaction score
Its 4 mph at 70. Dash says 70 but real speed as calculated by gps radar detector is 74.
I am about to order the Coopers you got. Did you feel the need to recalibrate your speedometer with the slight height increase?

rah6887

Reaction score
I am about to order the Coopers you got. Did you feel the need to recalibrate your speedometer with the slight height increase?
No I did not, with that being said, I did ask the dealer about recalibration, I was told that they cannot do it on the 5th gens.
But it wasn't that bad
50mph - actual 51
60mph - actual 62
70mph - actual 73
And so on...

dwalme

Reaction score

You can use Alfaobd $50, SGW bypass cable $25, Bluetooth obdii adapter $10 and your Android phone/tablet to change your tire size.

I think it’s well worth it.

Franky350

Reaction score
No I did not, with that being said, I did ask the dealer about recalibration, I was told that they cannot do it on the 5th gens.
But it wasn't that bad
50mph - actual 51
60mph - actual 62
70mph - actual 73
And so on...
Thank you! That reaffirms what I thought about going from 275/55 to 60. I did not really worry about it but then read about shift point issues and so on on here. I myself upgraded the tires on our Chrysler 300c, because of wheel failures due 45 tires, going a little higher. No issues beside a certain speedometer difference.

Franky350

Reaction score
You can use Alfaobd $50, SGW bypass cable $25, Bluetooth obdii adapter $10 and your Android phone/tablet to change your tire size.

I think it’s well worth it

Thank you, I appreciate that. I will see how it goes once we have the tires.

NJC1684

Reaction score

test against a gps app once installed and then decide if it’s worth it to you. I used the Rough Country calibrator for peace of mind.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have Coopers. I do have Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus 275/60R20. I felt the need to calibrate. I was off 2 mph at 50 and 3 mph off at 60. The MPH difference wasn't that bad; but there are other things it affects. First, the transmission shifting seemed to change...and not for the better. Second, the MPG calculations dropped by 2.5 MPG. I bought the Rough Country calibrator for $139 and it took about 15 minutes to get everything right. Now, my speed is dead on with GPS, the transmission shifts normally again, and I am getting accurate MPG calculations again. The $139 for calibrator and the little bit of time it took to do it are well worth it.

Franky350

Reaction score
test against a gps app once installed and then decide if it’s worth it to you. I used the Rough Country calibrator for peace of mind.
I read about other problems after recalibration, like parking sensors and distance control not working anymore. Can you report that?

Franky350

Reaction score
I don't have Coopers. I do have Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus 275/60R20. I felt the need to calibrate. I was off 2 mph at 50 and 3 mph off at 60. The MPH difference wasn't that bad; but there are other things it affects. First, the transmission shifting seemed to change...and not for the better. Second, the MPG calculations dropped by 2.5 MPG. I bought the Rough Country calibrator for $139 and it took about 15 minutes to get everything right. Now, my speed is dead on with GPS, the transmission shifts normally again, and I am getting accurate MPG calculations again. The $139 for calibrator and the little bit of time it took to do it are well worth it.
Yeah I am worried about that. I read about other problems after recalibration, like parking sensors and distance control not working anymore. Can you report that?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
So I’ve added 10k miles of mixed driving on these tires and so far so good. The tires don’t even look like they’ve worn any rubber away yet, and I towed a 6k lb camper around a couple times a month over summer. I haven’t recalibrated anything and haven’t noticed any shifting issues or anything like that. I have the 3.21 gears though. I still just use my uniden r3 for speed. Truck is at 16k miles now and still has not been back to the dealership since the day I drove it off the lot. I do my own oil changes (on its fifth change already) and run 89 octane fuel. I’ve been averaging 20-22mpg highway. Going to rotate the tires here very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread