5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper ATP2, Cooper AT3, Pirelli Scorpion

deanno33

Reaction score
I've searched around but there doesn't seem to be many reviews on the ATP 2 tires. Discount tire exclusive I guess. Anyone running these?

I'm searching for a 33" standard load AT tire, with OWL (think I'm going white letter this time). VERY few options for 33" with OWL outside of the three above (Revos and Destination AT as well I guess). There are quite a few reviews on he AT3 and Scorpions but not much on the ATP2 (which looks like a nice tire) Anyone have experience with a couple of these and can offer opinions and comparisons?

I'd be getting 275/60/20. I am 95% highway but also hit backroads/logging roads during hunting season and lakes for ice fishing. Live in WI so plenty of snow and ice too.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I've searched around but there doesn't seem to be many reviews on the ATP 2 tires. Discount tire exclusive I guess. Anyone running these?

I'm searching for a 33" standard load AT tire, with OWL (think I'm going white letter this time). VERY few options for 33" with OWL outside of the three above (Revos and Destination AT as well I guess). There are quite a few reviews on he AT3 and Scorpions but not much on the ATP2 (which looks like a nice tire) Anyone have experience with a couple of these and can offer opinions and comparisons?

I'd be getting 275/60/20. I am 95% highway but also hit backroads/logging roads during hunting season and lakes for ice fishing. Live in WI so plenty of snow and ice too.
I'm a huge fan of the Destination A/T. Long life, quiet (as A/T tires go), and great traction for the mixed driving I do in Iowa. I just wish they would have kept the original A/T version....I liked it even better.

Sent from my Note20 Ultra using Tapatalk

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it helps any. I had cooper discoverer at3 on my old 2012 ram 1500 before I traded them in.

Not as aggressive tire, but chances handles snow, just not the deep stuff. Very quiet on the roads

Here is a pic roughly 6 years ago playing In the snow
0abc8f8d9e92336ab2b32364cd582b87.jpg
1fe46a208d66ef4d51f965b4d6c804d3.jpg

2022 Ram 1500 Big horn Back country (D status)

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To add. I know it's not on the list, but recently before i traded in my 2020 laramie, I had toyo open country at3. Great tire off road, just a little road noise comes with it.

Let me know if you want pics of those for looks.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

deanno33

Reaction score
Oh man, I'm not ready to see pics of snow yet! I hate the extreme summer heat but also not ready to sub zero.

Thanks for the reply. I did consider the Toyo too but can't get white letter in those for my size.

The Cooper ATP2 are on sale right now. $660 (just the tires) after $100 off. Also a $50 gift card from Discount Tire.
The Cooper AT3 don't appear to be on sale so they are $928
Scorpion AT Plus are $860

That ATP2 sure looks like a good tire, like mentioned, just not too many reviews since they are Discount Tire exclusive and new in 2021.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh man, I'm not ready to see pics of snow yet! I hate the extreme summer heat but also not ready to sub zero.

Thanks for the reply. I did consider the Toyo too but can't get white letter in those for my size.

The Cooper ATP2 are on sale right now. $660 (just the tires) after $100 off. Also a $50 gift card from Discount Tire.

That ATP2 sure looks like a good tire, like mentioned, just not too many reviews since they are Discount Tire exclusive and new in 2021.
I'm with ya man. Here in the north east, it's baking with Temps in the upper 90's and humity (which is a killer here) feelss like 115.

Like you, I don't like extremes. I'm happy with Temps from 30-85 ...lol

Kaderast

Reaction score

I looked at that ATP last time I purchased tires for my Silverado. Strongly considered them, they look darn good. Ended up getting the Cooper AT3 XLT because they had a better rebate at the time.

I think if I was in the market for tires right now and those ATPs were on sale for $660 for the set, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

deanno33

Reaction score
The ATP2 (top) looks just a little more aggressive than the AT3 (bottom) (to me anyway). One is solid white raised letter and the other OWL, On sake at $660 plus a $50 gift card I may go with the APT2. Since they are fairly new there are not many reviews on truck forums...only place there seem to be reviews is Discount Tire (which are really good reviews).

1628886495447.png
1628886566468.png

Kaderast

Reaction score
Both have very similar shoulder lugs with a sharp edge for good snow/ice biting, and they both have very similar siping. Last thing you might look at is tread depth on your specific size. In general, a tire with deeper tread will last longer, but I find that after two years, my AT tires are rounded off enough on the shoulders, and the rubber has gotten hard to the point where winter traction is too compromised, and I just end up throwing away the last 20% of the tread depth and get new tires anyway.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@deanno33 what size tires are you going to get?

Since I'm staying with the stock rims, I can't to tall or too wide on the 18" or they won't fit.

Or I could go your route and just buy new rims and tires...but I have other items on my list to buy...lol. Today my led tail lights arrived.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going 275 60 20 (33"). That one inch larger than stock is plenty for me.
Oh yeah...that should be plenty. Are you going to get a lift, or maybe level it?

I'm going to hold out on any lift, level, tire upgrade. Curious to know how the stock falcon wild peaks are.

I like to go offroading once a month, and I'm going to see if I bottom out anywhere stock.

Before, in my laramid, I did get a rough country 2" leveling and a spacer for the rear to give me a little rake. Then upgraded the stock wheels to 33" tires, and it performed very well for me.

deanno33

Reaction score
Keeping it simple this time. Just 33s (which should be stock on these big trucks) and stock ORG suspension.

deanno33

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on the ATP II's. They look great in person. I had them pull the AT3 and ATP. The ATP have deeper tread, more aggressive look and I like the solid white letter. The guys at Discount Tire said they run quieter too....but I'm sure they could be a little biased. $660 after the $100 rebate. Will take a pic when they come in and get them mounted on my wheels.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Killing me....now your making me rim/tire shop...lol

Trust me, not trying one up you, but when you see someone building up their truck, the ideas starts to flow...lol

Literally one click away from buying at least rims that I want.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the scorpions on mine to replace the OEM Goodyears on 22"

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@deanno33

Question....those stock black 20" rims you picked up...are they 20x10, or 20x9?

Reason why im asking, I finally pull the trigger, and ordered just 2 rims ( will order another set of rims in 2 weeks...when I make a large purchase on my cc, I like to pay at least half, that's why I didn't buy all 4 rims).

I ordered 20x9 rims, due to the fact that (as you know) the back country doesn't have fender flares, so I want to make sure that whatever I get, it fit flush, and doest stick out.

Users who are viewing this thread