5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooling fan running high

Bbais

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie, the last couple days the cooling fan is running high constantly. Whether I’m driving or idling at a stop light, the fan runs really high and loud. Any suggestions on the cause and the fix?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie, the last couple days the cooling fan is running high constantly. Whether I’m driving or idling at a stop light, the fan runs really high and loud. Any suggestions on the cause and the fix?
Make sure you have anti-freeze so your engine doesn't overheat.

klotz50

Reaction score
What Bdais said above! I just had this problem start out of the blue with my 2019 Limited with 70k. I had never noticed or heard the fan run before but it was loud and constant. I decided to take a shotgun approach to it and changed the engine temp sensor, the thermostat and noticed some of the sludge in the expansion tank(which is also mentioned in a lot of posts). I flushed the expansion tank and then decided to drain some of the radiator to see what came out the bottom end. It looked clean so I didn't do a complete flush. At this point when refilling the radiator, I figured that the system was short by about a whole gallon of antifreeze. Not sure where its going since 100% no leaks. Short story long, after all this, my issue went away. I suspect the low antifreeze had something to do with it. Other thing which has been discussed often is the constant smell of antifreeze at the front end when you get done driving but mine has been like that since day one. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread