5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coolant on the left - Washer fluid on the right... A cautionary tale

Pete7919

Reaction score
I searched through and saw a mention of the two caps both being yellow and somewhat similar but no one admitted to doing the dumb thing I did. I'd like to get some opinions on my course of action.

My washer fluid was low and kept alarming on the gauge cluster. I finally got around to stopping to get some of the green Rain-X washer fluid. It was late, it was dark and I accidentally poured half the bottle into the coolant reservoir. I realized it midway through and stopped. I ended up driving the truck home (8 miles).

Fast forward to today I was going to flush and refill the system. Over the weekend it seemed like the liquids separated. I siphoned out the entire reservoir with a hand pump. I was able to carefully get as much of the green washer fluid out and then I was able to extract the pink/purple coolant and they were very clearly different. I'm sure I didn't get all of it but I refilled the bottle and it's at least as much as I poured in. I'm sure there's been some mixing. I opened the radiator cap and the coolant in there looked fine. I refilled the reservoir with clean coolant/distilled water mix.

So, think it'll be OK or should I go get a full flush?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I wouldn't sweat it if it was my truck. The overflow tank fills and empties out the bottom. It was full when you started adding the wrong stuff and driving only 8 miles, I doubt it heated up a bunch and added more then drew it back in overnight. Sounds like the washer fluid sat on top without a lot of mixing, so I doubt much got into the coolant.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I agree with Richard. If a little washer fluid is hurting things, this truck ain't lasting long. It'll be ok.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the same thing in my Laramie, before I traded it in. Not only are they both yellow, there are in very similar spots on either side to easily confuse it.

I’m going to get something aftermarket, or take out that yellow dip stick for the engine coolant, and spray paint black, or a different color. It should not be the same color as the windshield washer fluid. Even when you take it out, it’s very similar.

Yes the labels are there to remind us which is what, but the yellow color should not be the same. That is what is throwing me off. Spray painting just the top of it black (and letting it dry) should be be enough to not even notice it.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

turkeybird56

Reaction score
W/W container has no dip stick. Coolant has a plastic dipstick, so that difference keeps me OK on MY 19. But I have no coolant problems and the Dealer fills up the W/W everytime I go in. Now, I did see, that FCA puts the minimum fluids sometimes in new vehicles and I had to add over a quart to the coolant bottle to bring to proper level after I researched, found proper coolant and purchased from dealer. Checked all fluids at 2 weeks ownership for break in and insured all fluids OK.

But then, that is a life long habit. Between checking a fleet vehicle U drive every day to PMCS on Military vehicles, some things are just burned into the brain pan, just saying. Heck, I even check the fluids on MY 19 parked in front of house and now 3 years old every 2 weeks, just "because", LOL.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If both being yellow causing confusion perhaps spray one of the caps with different color plasti-dip (or paint)

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

CanRebel

Reaction score
You should be fine. Since you mentioned you removed as much as you could.
Rainx is mostly water, other chemicals in it should not effect anything.

If you are worried about it, you could get a full flush.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Some Rainx washer fluids contain silicone polymers to help rain bead up on the winshield. The silicone might have contributed to the separation of the layers. I stopped using Rainx because it would eventually get on the paint and trim work leaving greasy spots

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put a piece of tape on the coolant reservoir marked 'COOLANT' when I first noticed the similarities.
But even better, think I'll just paint the washer fluid cap blue. It should be a universal thing that washer fluid caps are blue.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've owned more than 40 vehicles, and I'm having a hard time thinking of a car I've owned where the washer fluid reservoir was on the passenger side of the vehicle. Maybe there were some but I don't remember any.

BowDown

Reaction score
I've owned more than 40 vehicles, and I'm having a hard time thinking of a car I've owned where the washer fluid reservoir was on the passenger side of the vehicle. Maybe there were some but I don't remember any.

My 2003 Ram, 1500's washer reservoir was on the passenger side
That said, I refilled my washer reservoir last month, had no issues reading the cap

Users who are viewing this thread