5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coolant in oil

nbo10

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 2020 with 30k miles on it. Changed the oil this morning and while watching the old oil drain out I noticed a small, but significant amount of brownish stuff coming out, along with the oil. Can it be anything other than coolant? The truck has driven differently over the last two weeks. The engine has been more sluggish.

I’ll make a service appointment on Monday, but just looking for thoughts on what it might be.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take a sample and send it to blackstone. They can tell you if there's coolant in it, or really bad levels of metals. It won't be as good as pulling mid stream, but it's better than not knowing anything.

They'll send you the kits for free and it costs $35 for the analysis. Tell them whats up and they'll look for things to help you.

nbo10

Reaction score
Take a sample and send it to blackstone. They can tell you if there's coolant in it, or really bad levels of metals. It won't be as good as pulling mid stream, but it's better than not knowing anything.

They'll send you the kits for free and it costs $35 for the analysis. Tell them whats up and they'll look for things to help you.
How much Should I drive the truck for a bit before sending in a sample? Right now it’s all oil because of the change. Thanks

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much Should I drive the truck for a bit before sending in a sample? Right now it’s all oil because of the change. Thanks
I'd ask them. If you have questions, call us at 260/744-2380

If you have the old oil, I'd take a sample from that just in case. they are small only about 3 oz, or less than 100ml, less than 1/2 a cup.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
^To add to that, they’re very responsive on the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread