5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convincing me to buy a Ram!

JumpinShip77

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Sorry if this was posted before but I've got a 2011 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L (155k Miles) still runs solid but interested in some change, has never sent me running to the dealership.
Which is the main reason why i'd consider another GM. Both trucks are good looking IMO. But boy do i have that Auto Start Stop feature.

Ram Laramie Interior is light years ahead of the the highest trim GM truck, no competition.
Have yet to test drive both but i'm sure even though the Ram is a heavier truck the 5.7 pulls much harder than the GM 5.3. (GM 6.2 is overkill for my daily use)
Since both trucks came out as 2019 models i was planning on picking up a 2020 model, let them work out some of the bugs.

So did anyone cross shop between the two?
How are your 2019 Rams holding up?
Are there changes or certain bugs that will be addressed for the 2020 model?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Sorry if this was posted before but I've got a 2011 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L (155k Miles) still runs solid but interested in some change, has never sent me running to the dealership.
Which is the main reason why i'd consider another GM. Both trucks are good looking IMO. But boy do i have that Auto Start Stop feature.

Ram Laramie Interior is light years ahead of the the highest trim GM truck, no competition.
Have yet to test drive both but i'm sure even though the Ram is a heavier truck the 5.7 pulls much harder than the GM 5.3. (GM 6.2 is overkill for my daily use)
Since both trucks came out as 2019 models i was planning on picking up a 2020 model, let them work out some of the bugs.

We can’t tell you that.
I’d say, drive both, and look at options, price, features, and then decide.

Cheers,

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We can’t tell you that.
I’d say, drive both, and look at options, price, features, and then decide.

Cheers,
+1... Some dealerships will allow you to take a vehicle home overnight -- at least in my area-- and I definitely recommend that if you can pull it off.

leeghoti

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I did cross shop this vs the new Silverado design. I actually liked the look of the Silverado a little better, however the ride to me & my buddy that went with me was better in the Ram. Also it seemed that you got more options for your money in the Ram, whereas Chevy seemed to be using little things like storage compartments to justify forcing you to get an upgrade.
IMO Auto Start/Stop isn't really that impactful in personal gas mileage, I think it is more an initiative manufacturers are implementing to improve their overall fleet mileage. Its fine to have, but I wouldn't' make a buying decision on it (& I've had an F150 with it for 3 years prior).

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I liked the 5.3 in the GMC that I test drove, it looked awesome on the outside but simple/functional on the inside. I wouldn't say the hemi pulls that much harder than the 5.3, not an extreme difference there and that wouldn't be why I pick the one or the other.

I picked the Ram because the GM cost more and gives you less. They've started seriously de-contenting them as well; no longer any adjustable brake/gas pedals, "4x4" models do NOT include low speed transfer case unless you specifically get the z71/x31 off road package, no way to get the best drivetrain unless you shell out for the top trims etc.

dandar

Reaction score
I cross shopped between Ram, GMC and F150. The new 5.3 in GMC pulls just as hard as the Ram with 3.92 gearing. The 6.2 is similar to 3.5 Eco off the line and 50-70. Ram with 3.21 gearing felt lethargic. At least it did to me.

Ram is most comfortable but also feels the most disconnected from the road. The 22s actually felt a bit better at transferring the feel of the road. The Ram Limited feels like driving a limo. If I was looking for a truck-truck, not family-truck I'd probably go with GMC and 6'7" bed due to the most usable bed and the trick taigate with built-in cargo stop. If I towed a lot I'd go with the F-150 and it's awesome trailer back-up assist. I was looking for a do it all family truck and the Ram was just a hair better to me than the others. All were great though. So don't sweat it and buy what feels right. You can't go wrong with any of the big three.

Differia

Reaction score
I would hold off on a Ram till the A/C issue is fixed or redesigned, Especially if you live in a hot area.
Check out the numerous threads on A/C.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I refused to buy a new truck without Adaptive Cruise Control. I had it on a 2012 Grand Cherokee and loved it. The ACC on my new 1500 is even better. I've read that the GM trucks don't even have that as an option, so that would take them off my list immediately.

So far (knock on wood), the A/C in my truck is working just fine. No random shut offs. Blows cold. And we've been having days in the 95 - 100 ranger around here....

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
If you go RAM (I would, but I have a bias against GM, from previous experience)...be sure to check out the AC system. Some folks are reporting issues with it not cooling.

Also, there is an issue with the park assist sensors where some are reporting random emergency stops while backing...I am having this one...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread