5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting Premium Cloth to Leather

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thought about going the Katzkin route, they are tops. But I always loved the OEM Built To Serve seats and managed to find a complete set on eBay for $750, practically new. Had them installed at a reputable upholstery shop as I wanted a professional install, he did it for $600.. Total cost with install was $1350. Couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

After
View attachment 105697
Those BTS seats look good. Is that a crash axe under your seat? :LOL:

Joe1226

Reaction score
Thank you! Quality installation makes all the difference for sure.
Hey moosem another quick question. Did you get your console lid redone with the seats or is that the original one? Reason I ask is that Katzkin put piping on my lid cover instead of stitching which makes it almost impossible to install (and allow lid to close correctly) according to upholstery shop that is doing the work. No big deal because I wasn't sure I was going to do the lid install anyway since the existing cover is a very close match regardless.

Joe1226

Reaction score
Also has anyone gotten the door panel inserts done that come with the Katzkin kit? My upholstery shop says they don't do them because they have to be glued and they look like junk so they don't bother. I assumed door panel had to be removed, but they say no it gets done from the outside. Basically tucked into opening and glued. Anyone experience this?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also has anyone gotten the door panel inserts done that come with the Katzkin kit? My upholstery shop says they don't do them because they have to be glued and they look like junk so they don't bother. I assumed door panel had to be removed, but they say no it gets done from the outside. Basically tucked into opening and glued. Anyone experience this?
Here, watch this video, you'll see what's involved. They not just glued on.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey moosem another quick question. Did you get your console lid redone with the seats or is that the original one? Reason I ask is that Katzkin put piping on my lid cover instead of stitching which makes it almost impossible to install (and allow lid to close correctly) according to upholstery shop that is doing the work. No big deal because I wasn't sure I was going to do the lid install anyway since the existing cover is a very close match regardless.
No, they did not cover the console lid. Like you said, it’s a good match as is.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They did do my door panel inserts and they look fine. They’re not leather though, just black vinyl.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
They did do my door panel inserts and they look fine. They’re not leather though, just black vinyl.
I'm about to swap all my speakers out and can't decide if I want to put the Katzkin inserts in or not. I kind of like the contrast of the gray cloth.

I also have the whole center seat leather from a bench seat that I could probably cut up and make real leather inserts. Probably not worth it since they would essentially look the same ad the vinyl inserts.

I've also thought about suede or perforated leather.

Do you regret it? Have any good pictures?

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm about to swap all my speakers out and can't decide if I want to put the Katzkin inserts in or not. I kind of like the contrast of the gray cloth.

I also have the whole center seat leather from a bench seat that I could probably cut up and make real leather inserts. Probably not worth it since they would essentially look the same ad the vinyl inserts.

I've also thought about suede or perforated leather.

Do you regret it? Have any good pictures?

34C745D5-A833-48C9-AF68-74EB36FBEF37.jpeg

Not the best lighting, but here you go.

No regrets. I think they look fine. Sometimes I wonder if they would have looked better in the graphite color for a little contrast, but overall I am satisfied.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
View attachment 109513

Not the best lighting, but here you go.

No regrets. I think they look fine. Sometimes I wonder if they would have looked better in the graphite color for a little contrast, but overall I am satisfied.
Thanks, that looks good. I think I'll do it just so it all matches.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Got the truck all cleaned up and got some protection on the new leather. Y'all read katzkin's "care" instructions? They say they are coated with something that will protect them for the life of the seats and to just use soap and water when needed.... Call me crazy, but I ain't about to not condition/protect/care for these seats.

Still excited I pulled this off on my own (not that I had any doubt).
cf5c100c12810e8e81e6e1c8f32bec04.jpg

3f771460e45bb2b8e81f9391cd81aad2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread