5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conventional motor oil or synthetic from factory

LilChico

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the used conventional motor oil or synthetic from factory on 2022 Ram Rebel?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, synthetic.

LilChico

Reaction score
If factory oil is full synthetic, why could you want to switch back to conventional on the 1st oil change? ? ? ?
Not saying to switch to conventional. Conventional oil is thicker oil, so they say it binds and coats to parts better. So I was thinking of just doing the first and maybe second oil change with conventional and then stick to the synthetic for all other ones.

Goldsy

Reaction score
I didn’t know what mine came out of the factory with, so I did a full synthetic oil change with 800 miles on it.

U

User_3336

I didn’t know what mine came out of the factory with, so I did a full synthetic oil change with 800 miles on it.
I just did mine at 1090! I had some Mobil 1 Advanced Synthetic. after that I will switch to Pennzoil Ultra Plat.

U

User_3336

Not saying to switch to conventional. Conventional oil is thicker oil, so they say it binds and coats to parts better. So I was thinking of just doing the first and maybe second oil change with conventional and then stick to the synthetic for all other ones.
Still.....that makes NO sense! If synthetic was the fill from the factory, why would you not stick with synthetic???

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Who is they? Whoever they are, stop listening to them.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like others mentioned, not necessary anymore. Synthetics have much better additives now, so any condition that conventional would help (break-in, wearing components, etc) can be handled by additives in synthetic (not all have the same additives). All the data is there now to back it up, so I can’t see a reason to not use synthetic anymore.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"They" are wrong. Oil is sold by viscosity(thickness). A 5w-30 conventional is the same "thickness" as a 5w-30 synthetic. Oil does not "blind" to parts. The purpose of oil is the exact opposite

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You want to stick with synthetic, especially if towing, the oil temps can reach over 280F in these engines during heavy towing, the flashpoint of convention oil can be as low as 300F while most synthetics are 425 - 500F.

I believe that the original fill is synthetic, especially based on the manual recommendation oil like Shell Helix. I don't even think my dealership offers a non-synthetic oil service for my RAM, not that I would ever let the dealership touch my truck, except (knock on wood) a major warranty issue or something I can't fix myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread