5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Controlling cabin dust?

frostymug

Reaction score
I have a 21 1500 Limited and the dash gets dusty very quickly after every time I clean the truck. I’m OCD about both the exterior and interior being clean, so I do a full wash at least once a week. Yes, I have the black interior but have never seen a vehicle that gets so dusty on the interior. It’s garage parked except when I’m driving, I don’t go out much, and I always have the AC on recirculate.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do or face this yourself?

tidefan1967

Reaction score
If I were you I would put a nice coat of Aerospace 303 Protectant on it and I guarantee you that dust won't stick to it for a very long time and it will provide some top notch protection against UV rays at the same time.

Reaction score

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your des
I have a 21 1500 Limited and the dash gets dusty very quickly after every time I clean the truck. I’m OCD about both the exterior and interior being clean, so I do a full wash at least once a week. Yes, I have the black interior but have never seen a vehicle that gets so dusty on the interior. It’s garage parked except when I’m driving, I don’t go out much, and I always have the AC on recirculate.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do or face this yourself?
It's hard to judge from your description of the problem. How much dust is "so dusty." I get some accumulation over the course of 10-15 days, but compared to my past vehicles it's 95% less. I think most of that comes just from opening and closing the doors.

Dust can get into the interior several ways, like open windows, poor door sealing, and of course, through the outside vent cowling. There's also the possibility it's caused by human skin cells.

I'd recommend checking the cabin filter to see if it's installed correctly. There was one report that a person checked theirs and the filter was not installed correctly.

Best regards,
Dusty (no pun intended)
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051170 miles.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your des

It's hard to judge from your description of the problem. How much dust is "so dusty." I get some accumulation over the course of 10-15 days, but compared to my past vehicles it's 95% less. I think most of that comes just from opening and closing the doors.

Dust can get into the interior several ways, like open windows, poor door sealing, and of course, through the outside vent cowling. There's also the possibility it's caused by human skin cells.

I'd recommend checking the cabin filter to see if it's installed correctly. There was one report that a person checked theirs and the filter was not installed correctly.

Best regards,
Dusty (no pun intended)
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051170 miles.

I agree. I changed out my cabin filter to a K&N filter primarily because the regular cabin filters distort when you place them in the cabin filter slot and take on an hourglass shape leaving gaps on both sides. The K&N was the only one I could find that was rigid along the sides and held its shape.

My truck gets no more dusty than my previous 2003, my wifes XF or my Z06

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the FRAM cabin air filter and it fits well too. The K&N might be better but I've done the washable filter route before and have retired from that effort regardless of benefit (performance and/or cost).

The Owner's Manual recommends changing the cabin filter every 20K miles but mine gets pretty dirty so I change it every oil change (10K miles).

TxRancher

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I just changed the cabin air filter and I'll know pretty quickly if that was the problem, as I live in the country and most roads around here are dirt.
If this fixes my issue, I'll take brian42's advice and change the filter when I start seeing dust build up everywhere.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Mine gets dusty AF too...though I think my solution is to quit smoking in the truck :LOL:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I just changed the cabin air filter and I'll know pretty quickly if that was the problem, as I live in the country and most roads around here are dirt.
If this fixes my issue, I'll take brian42's advice and change the filter when I start seeing dust build up everywhere.
There's also a chance you're getting fine dirt from the two rear vents on the back wall. Do you notice a lot of dirt in the rear area? Here's a picture to show where the vents are.

1703189192046.png

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Doesn’t seem normal to me. I drive dusty roads often and haven’t noticed any excess dust unless I have my windows open. Close them up tight and no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread