5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Control Arm Wear--Is this bad???

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
I just noticed that my driver's side lower control arm had some unusual wear on it. I checked the passenger side and it has similar wear. The knuckle has wear too so it seems that these two are rubbing excessively. Right now, I've only got the 2" leveling spacers (plus links) on top of my air ride suspension. Any idea on what might cause this type of wear? I've followed the air suspension lift/level thread(s) and never saw anyone mention this type of wear, as a result.

I've got a RC 5" lift going on in a week or so, and I know these parts are not part of the kit. Does this amount of wear look deep enough to be of a major concern? My family and I do long road trips in the truck and we're frequently towing a RZR back and forth between Las Vegas and Utah.

TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_1071.jpeg
    IMG_1071.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1072.jpeg
    IMG_1072.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1073.jpeg
    IMG_1073.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 81

jedgar81

Reaction score
I think that is just your steering stops. You can see they made it thicker at that contact location. With a soft aluminum spindle and control arm they are bound to cut into each other some. I have wear in the same location, but not as bad (only have 18,000 miles on the truck). Seems like wear would be dependent on how often you are at full lock with some suspension cycle. Maybe backing out of a steeper driveway? I'd also imagine the more lift (control arm angle relative to spindle) the more wear you will see on the top edge like you are.
IMG_2554.jpg

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
a9acc63c9a13c5a614f139338c1f72de.jpg

Here mine at 12k miles. I was told it’s normal. Just don’t clock the wheels fully and it will not rub they said lol.

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
I'm at 37k and have only have the lift/level for maybe 15k (give or take a few thousand miles). The photos you guys are posting show wear no where close to what I've got. I sent the same pics off to the shop that's going to do my RC lift to get their feedback. I'll be curious as to their response. Hoping they don't just try to sell me new parts on top of the $3k I'm already giving them....

Users who are viewing this thread