5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conspiracy Theory....Nitrogen Filled Tires ??

Captain

Reaction score
Hi,
How do you REALLY KNOW if your tires are filled with Nitrogen ?
Just because the dealership put Green Caps on the Valve Stems and they say so ?
The dealership could charge $400.00 to fill all 4 tires and put 4 little Green Caps on, but how do you know for sure ? Think about it, What an easy way to make an extra $400,00 from their customers when all the Dealership did was buy a bulk of Green Nitrogen Caps and put them on every car & truck they sell..
Could be a pretty simple Scam.
SO, does anyone know if there a device out on the market that will tell you if your tires are actually filled with Nitrogen or just Compressed Air ?
Everyone knows that Car Salesmen and the Dealership will ALWAYS tell you the truth.
Just a thought I had.

My apologies in advance if there are any people with hurt feelings caused by my Post.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Hi,
How do you REALLY KNOW if your tires are filled with Nitrogen ?.....
SO, does anyone know if there a device out on the market that will tell you if your tires are actually filled with Nitrogen or just Compressed Air ?
I was thinking the same EXACT thing last night. Ya figure there'd be something out on the market to test what's keeping the tires inflated

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nitrogen Caps and put them on every car & truck they sell...
This is a legitimate concern. The profit margin for this service at most dealers is huge...no doubt some seek to made it bigger.

Mason1217

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, dont they say when the temps drop, nitrogen filled tires wont drop in psi but compressed air filled tires will? I've had the sensor on the dash come up before when the weather changes. Maybe I'm wrong here, but if the temps drop and the psi on the cluster doesnt change at all, does that equal nitrogen filled tires? Hmmm I dunno

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, dont they say when the temps drop, nitrogen filled tires wont drop in psi but compressed air filled tires will? I've had the sensor on the dash come up before when the weather changes. Maybe I'm wrong here, but if the temps drop and the psi on the cluster doesnt change at all, does that equal nitrogen filled tires? Hmmm I dunno
even with nitrogen filled its usually around 95% not 100 so you will get some change just not nearly as much.

robber98

Reaction score
Put your nose real close to the valve stem and breath some in while letting some out. If you pass out you’ll know it’s N2.

Bdog

Reaction score
Do dealers really charge this much for nitrogen? We use nitrogen at work at and it is cheap. To get a huge bottle of it refilled cost around 25 bucks. I have no idea how many tires one bottle would fill but I bet a lot.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi,
How do you REALLY KNOW if your tires are filled with Nitrogen ?
Just because the dealership put Green Caps on the Valve Stems and they say so ?
The dealership could charge $400.00 to fill all 4 tires and put 4 little Green Caps on, but how do you know for sure ? Think about it, What an easy way to make an extra $400,00 from their customers when all the Dealership did was buy a bulk of Green Nitrogen Caps and put them on every car & truck they sell..
Everyone knows that Car Salesmen and the Dealership will ALWAYS tell you the truth.
Just a thought I had.

My apologies in advance if there are any people with hurt feelings caused by my Post.

In completely dry air, there is approximately 78% nitrogen.

Save your money and invest it more wisely in taking your wife/girl friend/kids/parents out to dinner four times a year!

Nitrogen molecules are larger, lending to the theory that a tire will lose less pressure as larger molecules will not pass as easily through the rubber membrane.

This does not mean there won't be pressure loss, however, just less, and you would still be susceptible to pressure variations due to temperature.

Besides the low practicality due to cost, how do you know how pure the nitrogen they put in the tire really is?

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004904 miles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do dealers really charge this much for nitrogen? We use nitrogen at work at and it is cheap. To get a huge bottle of it refilled cost around 25 bucks. I have no idea how many tires one bottle would fill but I bet a lot.

A hundred dollars per tire is the highest I have ever heard. Around here the common price is $20 to $25 per tire.

Since I've had four punctured tires on the last three vehicles, nitrogen filled tires is not an option I'm interested in.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004904 miles.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They do make nitrogen meters but you have to let a bit of nitrogen out of the tire to read the %. I use one when I am diving to read the Nitrox level in my tank.

Bcryan

Reaction score
Unless you race or climb mountains in Antarctica you wouldn’t even know the difference. It’s a BS up-sell knowing people want the BEST of everything... trust me I used to push those sales a long time ago

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Having put it in tires at one job before, I can tell You that it’s usually crap. They use regular air to seat the bead then if they aren’t in a rush they’ll dump the air and refill with nitrogen... but usually your getting rushed to finish that job and move to the next so it usually doesn’t get drained completely. That or doesn’t get drained at all and just gets topped off with nitrogen... and yea I’ve seen them spin the little green cap on without a hint of it hitting the nitrogen tank. Keep in mind a lot of shops are plumbed for compressed air but for nitrogen they have to Wheel over a tank To use it. Yet another time suck that a lot of people aren’t going to do.

Users who are viewing this thread