5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Console Swap: Need help adding Factory Inverter and Charging Pad

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Ran a few searches and came up empty. Found plenty of 4th gen ram owners adding the factory inverter under the passenger seat, but I am fairly certain ours is in the dash somewhere.

Picked up a new to me big horn that the previous owner swapped in a limited console with the charging pad and power outlets. However, they didn't hook any of it up. I went through AplfaOBD and enabled it all, hoping that that would at least kick on the charging pad, but no luck. It's really is bugging me to have these installed but not functioning. I am already installing a different console lid because having it say limited bothers me, and I blanked out the rear heat/vent seat switches, because I didn't want to explain the console swap and lack of features to everyone that rides with me.

Sorry for the rant. I found a thread on the wireless charger, but the link to the install instructions was dead. SO hoping someone has those saved. Also, the inverters are only like a hundred bucks on eBay, but I don't know where the dang thing is located to see if I have one already, or at least have the plug to connect it.

Any help would be appreciated, because the parts diagram is no help at all.

Attachments

• power inverter.png
    power inverter.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The inverter is behind the radio. The sections of the manual may help a little.

Attachments

• 08 - Electrical_8W - Power Distribution_Description DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION.pdf
    304.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 08 - Electrical_8W - Power Distribution_MODULE, Power Inverter_Removal and Installation REMOV...pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 33

Ldc2335

Reaction score
The inverter is behind the radio. The sections of the manual may help a little.
Nice, thank you. Looks like this manual is worth the cost. I'll add it to my wish list.

Any idea if all the rams are pre-wired for the inverter?

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Well, pulled the radio and looked for the inverter wiring...

It's not there...so now what? Now I have two useless power outlets in this console. Maybe I can gut them and wire them to a aftermarket inverter.

So if anyone here stumbles to thread from a search result, jut know not all trucks (at least not all big horns) are pre wired for the inverter.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Well, pulled the radio and looked for the inverter wiring...

It's not there...so now what? Now I have two useless power outlets in this console. Maybe I can gut them and wire them to a aftermarket inverter.

So if anyone here stumbles to thread from a search result, jut know not all trucks (at least not all big horns) are pre wired for the inverter.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I just found this thread. I was searching for the same info a few months back but couldn't find anything for 5th gen. Like you, I found no harness ready to accept the inverter or outlets, which leads me to believe you truly must have equipment level 2.

I'm still toying with the idea of being able to add an inverter. We have sources of power and unused fuses (66 is one) so it's a matter of figuring out how to do it without creating an issue. I'm not the most savvy on 12v electrical systems, so I'm reading about other makes/models adding inverters and/or dash cams.

I'll be following along to see if you hit paydirt.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I do have the level 2,but still no inverter. Or harness. It's not on my build sheet or window sticker.

I think I've decided that I'll skip the factory add on route and go aftermarket. I've spent way to much on the truck in the last few weeks since I got it, so I need to chill before the wife kiils me.

My plan is to get about a 1000 watt pure sine inverter and then cut some extension cords and solder them onto the factory outlets. I'll likely mount it under the passenger seat or back wall.

The reviews on most aftermarket inverters are scary. They either work great or catch the car on fire .

I might just scrap the whole idea and add some cig lighter power ports in place of the outlets in my swapped console instead. We'll see. I'll likely never use them anyway. I just have having outlets that don't work.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Tones1975

Reaction score
If you're hoping to do much of anything with the electrical outlets; I'd advise going aftermarket. I've got a 2019 rebel with the 400 watt inverter and I can't charge my milwaukee 18v batteries with it. My research would indicate the this is because the Ram inverter is not a pure sine wave inverter; which the battery charger requires. Also the 400 watts are split up between the 2 outlets in the truck which makes them less useful.
I'm actually trying to figure out how to bypass the factory inverter and install a more powerful unit. I'd like to utilize the 2 factory outlets as well as add a watertight outlet to the bed.
Anybody attempted this yet?

Ldc2335

Reaction score
If you're hoping to do much of anything with the electrical outlets; I'd advise going aftermarket. I've got a 2019 rebel with the 400 watt inverter and I can't charge my milwaukee 18v batteries with it. My research would indicate the this is because the Ram inverter is not a pure sine wave inverter; which the battery charger requires. Also the 400 watts are split up between the 2 outlets in the truck which makes them less useful.
I'm actually trying to figure out how to bypass the factory inverter and install a more powerful unit. I'd like to utilize the 2 factory outlets as well as add a watertight outlet to the bed.
Anybody attempted this yet?
There's a guy on YouTube that gave me the extension cord idea. He gut the outlet on a 4th gen and wired the cut end of the extension cord to it. Then obviously plugged in the other end to the outlet on the inverter.

I would also extend the power switch on the inverter and mount that near the front console outlet. Don't want a inverter running 24/7.

Some of the higher watt inverters have three outlets, so you could also run one to the bed.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread