5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering these wheels... VTX Terra... Question re: Centerbore

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
I'm shopping for wheels for my soon to be delivered 2019 white CC 6'4" bed off-road Laramie. I want to do something a little difference with the wheels. I'm really like the older-school 6-spoke bronze styled rims. These VTX Terra's seem to be popular with the Toyota crowd.

https://vtxwheels.com/products/terra

These wheels are 18x9, 0 offset, 6x139.7 (all good there assuming they will clear the brake caliper). My question is around Centerbore. These wheels are 106.1mm centerbore. Our 2019's hub is 77.8mm. I have not been able to locate a 106.1 -> 77.8 Hubcentric ring. I have located a 106.1 -> 78.1 Hubcentric ring, thus .3mm (.3 MILLIMETERS!!!) too large of an opening. Sooo... is that within tolerance? Is it maybe even silly that I'm worried about .3MM here? Will these wheels with some ET lugs and this hubcentric ring work well (ie, no vibration at speed)?

Is there anything else I'm missing, or another reason these wheels won't work on my 2019 Ram?

Thanks in advance

vtx terra 18 x 9 04.jpg vtx terra 18 x 9 05.jpg

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm shopping for wheels for my soon to be delivered 2019 white CC 6'4" bed off-road Laramie. I want to do something a little difference with the wheels. I'm really like the older-school 6-spoke bronze styled rims. These VTX Terra's seem to be popular with the Toyota crowd.

These wheels are 18x9, 0 offset, 6x139.7 (all good there assuming they will clear the brake caliper). My question is around Centerbore. These wheels are 106.1mm centerbore. Our 2019's hub is 77.8mm. I have not been able to locate a 106.1 -> 77.8 Hubcentric ring. I have located a 106.1 -> 78.1 Hubcentric ring, thus .3mm (.3 MILLIMETERS!!!) too large of an opening. Sooo... is that within tolerance? Is it maybe even silly that I'm worried about .3MM here? Will these wheels with some ET lugs and this hubcentric ring work well (ie, no vibration at speed)?

Is there anything else I'm missing, or another reason these wheels won't work on my 2019 Ram?

Thanks in advance

Contrary to popular belief hub centric rims are more important for vehicles that use factory hub centric wheels which the ram does not. The lug nuts are conical which means its technically a lug centric design. The clearance between the rim and hub on the factory wheels is pretty loose. I'd be willing to bet if I pulled out the calipers and measured the center bore on the factory wheel it's more than .3 mm larger than hub lip, That being said you should be fine with the 78.1 mm rings, that is the GM spec for over 20 years that's why they are easy to find. What you should be more concerned about is clearance of the rim itself to the brake caliper. This varies between manufactures and is about 4 mm on the fuel wheels I have and was I think 3 mm on a set of method NV's that another member installed on his truck. VTX might be better or might not clear depending on their shape and material thickness. You can see in the picture I attached that the wheel weights do not clear which can make balancing a little tricky.

Attachments

• 20180929_110454.jpg
    20180929_110454.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 20180929_110428.jpg
    20180929_110428.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 90

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks in advance

View attachment 7640 View attachment 7641
Can you still buy those ?

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
According to the internet it looks like you can. Regardless, no urgency here anymore... I just picked up these...

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you selling these? Where are you located ?
I have a set of 2019 Rebel wheels with no tires or pressure sensors off my new truck. 4 for $500 in perfect condition I hung on to my new wheel boxes for shipping also. Portland, Oregon 97236 is my location

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
I have a set of 2019 Rebel wheels with no tires or pressure sensors off my new truck. 4 for $500 in perfect condition I hung on to my new wheel boxes for shipping also. Portland, Oregon 97236 is my location

WOW!!!! Screaming deal. Now I'm wishing I bought your wheels so I could handpick the exact tires I wanted. But financially I come out ahead for now picking up the set I just bought in Vancouver BC for $1,100US with brand new stock 33" tires.

Users who are viewing this thread