5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering picking up a used 3.0

Davidbt

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 limited with ED and have loved it since I bought it. Just got the HPFP recall taken care of. I have performed regular maintenance on it myself and have experienced no issues. The only reason I want to get out of it is because I drive short distances now and Dallas living is a nightmare for truck owners. Parking spots are getting smaller and smaller. I've towed a loaded U-Haul and 21' boat with ease. You really can't go wrong with the 3rd gen ED.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to stick with truck for now. It'll be paid off in 3 years. I'm looking at getting a left hip revision in a month or so, and being retired, I probably need to keep my finances in check for now. Plus, if they don't bring the Hemi back my truck will be a collectors item, right? 😁

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd buy that truck if it was rocking a new motor but with multiple fuel pump issues, I wouldn't risk it.

You'll have to pick Trim & mileage but that's every eco-diesel in the country sorted by lowest price with a 3rd gen motor. Some in the $30K range but they're Bighorns. I'd go for the lowest mile you can afford with the right trim that doesn't have a bunch of issues (clean history).

I'd probably go with this one - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/53d3cedd-7764-4f20-ac78-b3e42f41c147/

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its usually better to keep the truck that you “know” instead of rolling the dice on the truck you don’t know. Other than the 26 gallon fuel tank, your truck looks fine to tow that trailer.
Gas is almost always cheaper to repair than diesel and the sales tax/maintenance that you would pay on the 3.0 would provide gasser maintenance for years.

Davidbt

Reaction score
Its usually better to keep the truck that you “know” instead of rolling the dice on the truck you don’t know. Other than the 26 gallon fuel tank, your truck looks fine to tow that trailer.
Gas is almost always cheaper to repair than diesel and the sales tax/maintenance that you would pay on the 3.0 would provide gasser maintenance for years.
Thanks. I have finally come to that same conclusion. We did a 3500 mile trip to Mississippi and back up through New Mexico last October and the truck really did great all in all. I think I averaged 10.5 gpm. If the opportunity ever presents itself, I may add the 33 gallon tank. When traveling back roads in the West, gas stations can be few and far between.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks. I have finally come to that same conclusion. We did a 3500 mile trip to Mississippi and back up through New Mexico last October and the truck really did great all in all. I think I averaged 10.5 gpm. If the opportunity ever presents itself, I may add the 33 gallon tank. When traveling back roads in the West, gas stations can be few and far between.
Probably a lot cheaper to carry a couple-three 5 gallon gas cans in the bed than go through all the extra cost of the 36 gallon tank. Not that you shouldn't change if you want to but it may not be dollar-wise.

Davidbt

Reaction score
Probably a lot cheaper to carry a couple-three 5 gallon gas cans in the bed than go through all the extra cost of the 36 gallon tank. Not that you shouldn't change if you want to but it may not be dollar-wise.
At least 1 gas can usually comes along if I bring the generators for the travel trailer. It's always nice to hear other ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread